When are the next dates and places?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
victoriaplum

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Post by victoriaplum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm

So basically the hints re: the UK is that it will be right at the end of the tour schedule? and that it will only be one date? or one venue do you mean? perhaps one venue with many, many dates? and other whispers are that it is most likely to be an outside concert. i hope i can save - if it's in October this might be more feasible!
Dance me to the end of love
------------------------------------
'Live in London' 2008; Ghent 2012; London 2013.
bean

Post by bean » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

I had assumed from the hints that it would be an external gig, that it would be earlier in the schedule than October.

Outside in October does not sound a good idea to me but then again I much prefer the comfort of indoor auditoriums :lol:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Victoria,

Unless it's really being kept under wraps (and if so - why?), I suspect there will only be one UK show this year, and outdoors too. It's a pity the UK has been left out in both 2010 & 2012, because it would have been so easy to bring the tour over for a few shows. Now, I guess all the U.K. shows will be lumped together next year (from the financial angle, I would sooner they were spread out). Oh well...

All good wishes, John E

P.S. Of course the game plan may be to sell-out the outdoor shows first, then announce the indoor ones (because otherwise I suspect most people would have opted for indoors).
da2008

Post by da2008 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I say it'll be at Heathrow Terminal 5 just before Leonard leaves for North America. Then we can all have a nice singalong on the Piccadilly line while the rich will drink champagne and eat caviar aboard the Heathrow Express.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm

So you're suggesting that Leonard won't be singing for the gypsies and the smoke that they made or the children of england, their faces so grave?
da2008

Post by da2008 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Last edited by da2008 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da2008

Post by da2008 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm

I just hope it's not like one of the recent Fall shows, when Mark E Smith impersonators sing his songs to the audience of paying Fall fans. So to your previous point, I hope that we won't get a live compilation of cover versions of Hallelujah performed by the talent of the day.
beto

Post by beto » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello!! I'm Beto from Buenos Aires..
I need some help: please, could anyone confirm (or tell me something about it...) if this year would be some southamerican (or Mexico!!) tour?
I've been waiting for decades for a LC show!! So, this year I decided not to wait anymore... so if this year (or 2013), we don't get LC over here, I'll start to plan some travel... (I hope you can understand my english...)
Thanks in advance.
BETO
dynamiksdreamdebased

Post by dynamiksdreamdebased » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

da2008 wrote:I just hope it's not like one of the recent Fall shows, when Mark E Smith impersonators sing his songs to the audience of paying Fall fans.
eh?
blithe, urbane and inebriated.
da2008

Post by da2008 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 pm

It was the first night of the last years autumn tour. Don't remember where it was. Allegedly, MES wasn't too well.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:16 pm

bridger15 wrote:John, I didn't make it up. I read it somewhere. Are you implying one should not always believe what one reads? :D

---Arlene
That's true, Leonard hated outdoor shows. Until 2008-10 tour, he hardly played an outdoor show - Roskilde in 1985 and 1988, and quite disastrous shows in Germany in 1993, where he was whistled off by hard/metal rock fans who never heard of him... I believe one of the shows was Rock am Ring festival. Very depressing experience, there is Christof Graf article in English about it. It was simply bad managing, and bad organisation, and wrong festivals for Leonard to be.

Apparently he had get used to open air shows in 2008-10 tour, ALTHOUGH I did read that Quebecois article where R. Hallett was quoted that LC was pissed off after Coachella and decided not to do festivals anymore... That apparently means no festivals but yes open airs. That was bizarre Google translation so I didn't get what it actually says as there was some talk that Morrissey started earlier despite the agreement and LC was forced to play while hearing his music or something like that, and then it was mentioned how they learn from 2008-10 experiences so they will NOT play arenas anymore (??)... Maybe somebody can locate that article, it was on the forum... It was more or less about why LC did not play Montreal again and how he plans to come back victorious there.

Btw I can confirm that Coachella didn't ring the bell with Leonard's team - Sharon was quite negative in the later article about the festival performance (that they had to sing without monitors), and later in some talks methinks during 2010 meet-ups.

Now, about touring plus tourism... Probably yes, he is near 80 and he decided to live on the road. He is wealthy and famous enough now to dictate his own terms, venues and cities... Plus he knows almost all arenas and open air venues now from 2008-10 tours, so he can immediately know is the audience, city and venue okay to go for him.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Tom, I was at Coachella and can definitely understand why the band wouldn't go there again or for that fact do anymore festivals. I think
I read that Leonard was promised that they would be the only band on during their allotted time and that did not happen. Morrissey did start early and the sound was loud and did bleed over to the stage that Leonard was on. It was disconcerting. Also Leonard was only given an hour and he
and the band were put on the small stage. If this had been in 2010 I think these thing wouldn't have happened. Plus Coachella is in the middle of nowhere.

That being said the crowd was really young and VERY enthusiastic. They were calling for Leonard before he was on the stage and generally seemed familiar with his work. Leonard initially seemed tired after three nights in Oakland that week but he really responded to the audience and under
not ideal circumstances gave a great performance. After all I think the best rendition of Hallelujah came from that show :D .

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks for the input, Marsha.

Whatever it was, Leonard's performance was later voted as the best of the festival and one among best festival performances in the US in that year... So! I have the audience tape (it was online podcast), and yes the audience was very enthusiastic and Leonard did the only thing he could do on festival slot - played two times louder than usual.

I myself prefer open air as the show is then much energetic and louder. The best concerts I saw were open airs in Lucca and Venice in Italy, and in Burgenland in Austria (the one we did a super recording). The show I liked the least was Royal Albert Hall... Arenas in Zagreb and Ljubljana were excellent but somehow there was something more to open air show; Salzburg 2010 (arena) was like a perfect sound check. And certainly they were much louder in the sound mix.
PatrickM

Post by PatrickM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 am

Still a bit puzzled about this eight-day gap between Gent and Copenhagen...

It could fit one or two concerts in there without much hassle.

(As this is the period I will be in Europe, any tip is more than welcome!). Amsterdam? Hamburg?
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 am

jarkko wrote:Tom, there will be no concert in Beograd (Belgrade).
:( :( :(
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”