Kilmainham, summer 2012?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Kilmainham, summer 2012?

Post by carlowmike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Venue.
I was in Kilmainham for the "first" concert in 2008, it was indeed "one of the most defining nights of live music" ever, anywhere ;-)
I wonder if we can recapture the moment again in 2012
:?: .
Abbreviated extract from Irish Daily Mail article -
Published 31st January 2012.

" LOVE YOU, LEONARD !"
by Roslyn Dee.
IT WAS one of the most defining nights of live music in Dublin. Ever. Leonard Cohen, outdoors, on a June evening, in the wonderful setting of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham. On the Friday night.
You had to have been there on the Friday night, the night that spawned all the legendary stories of a truly magical concert experience, over three and a half years ago now.
The Saturday was terrific as well, by all accounts, but not quite as memorable - it rained. It was different and it just wasn't THE definitive performance.
For us Friday-nighters, however, it was perfection, sheer, beautiful, joy-to-be-alive perfection. One of those moments in your life frozen in time, never to be forgotten, and made all the more special because it was the first night of the master's return to Irish shores after a 20-year absence.
We sat there, my husband and myself, and we ate awful hotdogs and sipped overpriced champagne from plastic cups, and we met people we hadn't seen in years, and we watched sixtysomething year old couples, eyes closed, on their feet and dancing together to the music, and we willed Leonard to sing more and more, and more.
And in the dying light of a June evening, we all listened, spellbound, as darkness gradually crept up and enveloped us, everyone in the audience totally in thrall to the man with the velvet voice. And we felt lucky to be there, lucky to be alive.
Yes, it really was that special.
DID you see Leonard Cohen at the Royal Hospital ? , people still ask when his name crops up in dinner-party conversation, and you nod and say that you did .
"Ah but were you there on the Friday night ?, they then enquire.
And you nod again and they smile and you just don't need to talk about it any more, don't try to reminisce over what he played that night and what he didn't.
The memory is so vivid that words are simply redundant.
I came to Leonard relatively late, was never that sold on him when I was a teenager and an early twentysomething. Didn't really "get" him, I suppose.
But just because you fall in love late, doesn't mean you don't fall hard.
And so it was that in 1988, when I was pregnant, this same friend ( a lawyer in Belfast by then ) phoned me to say that Leonard Cohen was coming to Dublin, that she had tickets, that her husband wouldn't be seen dead going to the concert with her but if she came down for the night, would I come ?.
I would. I did.
And I fell in love - with the songs and with the timeless elegance, that laid-back sex appeal and the lyrical intensity of the man and his music.
The National Stadium was a far from glamorous venue in those days ; built in 1939, yet it was a place that had an intimacy about it that was perfect for Leonard Cohen. His I'm Your Man album had been released earlier that year and we all sang along, delighted to be in the presence of such greatness.
At one point during the concert, my friend grabbed my arm.
"I know ! " she exclaimed, indicating my with-child state, "if it's a boy, you should call him Leonard".
Well it was a boy but no, I didn't call him Leonard.
Give the boy a break.
There will only ever be one Leonard, after all.
(Roslyn then goes on to review "Old Ideas").
~~ now for the dates :?: ;-) .
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
jeney

Re: Kilmainham, summer 2012?

Post by jeney » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Is your Birdie twittering the European tour will open with concert(s) in Kilmainham in August 2012 , what are the date(s) :?:
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Hope it comes about--- Kilmainham was the one!!
Rodin

Dublin

Post by Rodin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 am

I did tell you.
A few numpties tried to drown me out
Misunderstood
JudasPriest

Kilmainham, summer 2012?

Post by JudasPriest » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I was at the Sat and Sunday Kilmainham gigs in 08. It was the Sunday show that had the rain. Still fantastic though but the atmosphere on Saturday was just wonderful. I'll never forget during Democracy, floods of people started dancing together in the isles and there was what looked like a near stage invasion at one point- all fuelled by carnival joy.

Despite all that, the Lissadell gigs have a very slight edge for me. The setting and their truly epic nature were extraordinary- unbelievably long with a better setlist than Kilmainham incorporating some new material..really special.

Kilmainham 2012 will have a lot to live up to...
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 pm

For me I don't think any concert will ever top Lissadell and a concert half as good as Lissadell would be a brilliant concert. This is Leonard so we are guaranteed a great night. Can't wait for the tour to start and to see Leonard in Kilmainham and wherever else the funds will stretch to :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 am

From The Irish Times website
Leonard Cohen returns to play two concerts at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham this September - the same venue at which he was reduced to tears by the warmth of the audience's response at a series of shows in 2008.

Tickets for the two dates on September 11 and 12, priced €79.50, go on sale this Friday, March 30th, on Ticketmaster http://www.ticketmaster.ie.

The acclaimed 77-year-old singer songwriter singles out those Kilmainham shows from four years ago as the most memorable he has ever played. He had been absent from public life for the best part of ten years when he began a comeback series of concerts in 2008 and was so overwhelmed by his first appearance in Ireland in decades that he recalls "the reception was so warm (at IMMA) that tears came to my eyes and I thought "I can't be seen weeping at this point", then I turned around and saw the guitar player weeping".

Cohen has a special affinity with Ireland having had an Irish nanny growing up in Montreal - "I was brought up part Irish Catholic because of her" and his greatest literary hero is WB Yeats. At a show in Lissadell in Sligo two years he took time to travel around Yeats country and says he was deeply moved by his visit - "it was a huge thing for me".

Earlier this year he released his first new studio album in eight years - "Old Ideas". He has been performing consistently for the past four years after leaving behind his life in a Zen Buddhist retreat. A few years ago it emerged that his bank account had all but been cleared out by an ex-manager.

For those lucky enough to have seen him play at Kilmainham in 2008, the shows were magical and memorable affairs - and still deeply treasured by Cohen himself. "What I witnessed was soul inspiring on every level, I have never been so moved by a performance, everything about the night was magical" he has said about the Kilmainham concerts.

One of the greatest songwriters of his generation, Cohen's work has been covered by acts such U2, REM, Nick Cave, Jeff Buckley and Johnny Cash with songs such as Suzanne and Hallelujah remaining firm fan favourites.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing12.html
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 pm

What's the betting it will extend to three nights at Kilmainham :?: ;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
call the shots

Post by call the shots » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:27 pm

september 11th and 12th. confirmed. ticket pre-sale this thursday. normal sale friday.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 pm

carlowmike wrote:What's the betting it will extend to three nights at Kilmainham :?: ;-)
If it does I will be there for the 3 nights ;-)

Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Will try on Friday for ticket for the Tuesday 11th performance.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Tony Crosbie wrote:Will try on Friday for ticket for the Tuesday 11th performance.
Ah PRESALE Thursday morning 9am Tony. Forum members do not have to wait for the general sale!

Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Me too, will get my Dublin friend with whom I went in 2008 to try for forum presales tickets for 11 september cos I'll be at work and can't do it myself at that time on Thursday. I was a bit shocked to read the post above with the article from the Irish Times about prices being 79.50 euros when my friend told me the price was 109.50 euros!

But on checking Ticketmaster site I see the cheaper tickets (not good seats) DO start at 79.50 + the inevitable booking fee, and the good seats that all of us want are 20 euros dearer (+ the bkg fee...) = 109.50. Ah well, we all love you so much, Lenny, we'll find the money from somewhere...

Fantastico that you are touring again dear Leonard and thank you loads, Jarkko, see you in Madison.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 pm

swan13 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm

real-alan wrote:
so where's the "Dublin help for newbies" thread then???? Come on.....

swan13 replied: Go Alan!...
Unlike the Sligo area Dublin is very well documented for hotels, services etc.,
but sure might this "Kilmainham, summer 2012" thread suffice for a little banter and shenanigans and breeze us through the "three" gigs { before they head off to the UK }
:?: ;-)
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 am

carlowmike wrote:What's the betting it will extend to three nights at Kilmainham :?: ;-)
That was my first thought when I saw the dates, so great minds etc, or are we just greedy? :D
Didn't that happen in 2008 or am I thinking of somewhere else?
Hope to make the two OR three nights anyway!
Anne

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”