Perla Batalla presents The Gospel According To LC (in LA)

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
Born With The Gift Of A G

Perla Batalla presents The Gospel According To LC (in LA)

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:03 pm

Forgive me if someone has already posted news of this LC tribute concert....

http://www.performingarts.ucla.edu/even ... ent_ID=370

Anybody planning to attend it?
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Zoe Martell

I'm going!

Post by Zoe Martell » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:41 am

Yes, my husband and I are taking a trip to LA just for this show (we're in the bay area, so it isn't far) -- can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that my ladder's gone
I must lie down where all the ladders start
In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart

W.B. Yeats
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:46 pm

This concert is listed in this month's Los Angeles magazine (on page 173) as the mag's "pick of the month" event - it includes a nice picture of LC (also in the table of contents)- I am attending with my partner and our daughter. Can't wait - will report.
Jazz
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm

Very cool, Jazz and Zoe... really looking forward to your report[s :wink: ]. I know I don't need to tell you to enjoy... but will, anyway. Enjoy :D !!

~ Lizzy
dick

Post by dick » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Glad to see some interest here -- Know the show will be excellent. We are bummed that it's just too far and expensive for us to come from New Jersey. Reports, photos, and recordings will be much appreciated!

dick
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am

Dick (in Other music - Perla) wrote:Check new video by perla ..

Perla Batalla - Gracias a la Vida
It's a very beautiful video, where her personality and happiness for living is reflected.

I would want to add:

Perla Batalla - Cucurrucucu Paloma

Perla Batalla - Bird on a Wire (audience video)

Dick wrote:Reports, photos, and recordings will be much appreciated!
Me too.
Perla Batalla presents The Gospel According to Leonard Cohen.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 am

Thank you hardly says it, AnToni... I await seeing this with sound :D !!

Perla ! I love your gyspy look, your gypsy ways, your flourish, your verve, your whirling and twirling and swirling, bringing life to you, as you give it back in equal measure.

I'm always so entranced by kitchen scenes with people making their food... perhaps, it's because of the life force within food itself.

Beautiful video... 8)

~ Lizzy
Zoe Martell

Post by Zoe Martell » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:54 am

I am getting super excited about this....! :D

W.B. Yeats
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:59 am

... whilst I'm trying not to get super jealous :shock: :wink: ! If you come up with two extra tickets, I know of a couple people out there who could use them. Seriously.

You are going to so MUCH love this, Zoe!

~ Lizzy
dar

Post by dar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:46 pm

I tried to PM the Bay area person to maybe see about hitching a ride with them, but, that might be pushing it. And, I'll bet the other confirmed attendee is our Goddess Val? Well...looks as if this LA trip will not happen for me. But wonder who the folks in the Bay area are? I'm in Sacramento and would love to go but the damn train doesn't go from Northern California to LA. You have to take a bus, etc. What a pain.
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi Lizzie et al...
Thanks for your (preseumed) intercession - after I let you know the show had sold out before I got it together to purchase tickets - BUT:
the good news is I went on Craig's List and found two really good tickets - and purchased them yesterday from a season ticket holder at Royce Hall who cannot make this concert.
I'm still looking/hoping to find one more for my daughter - who was "started" on Hydra and loves Leonard's music - since she was heavily inundated with it during her formative years!
So I will be reporting back on our attendance after all.
Jazz
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Bingo, Jazz :D . Since your stopping by here seems a tad irregular, it didn't seem it could hurt to ask :wink: .

Before I read your response here, but had seen your name on the 'here right now' list at the bottom of the Index page, I PM'd you to let you know that you were the "two" that I was referring to, and that if I got any response, I'd put you in touch with whoever had written me. Glad to know 8) that 2 out of 3 have been addressed. How attached are you all to sitting next to each other? Seems it might even be not so hard to come up with a single ticket... you know how people are about having to sit next to each other at these things... even when the only thing that might get exchanged is a smile or a nudge... or, perhaps, the "soft.soft tremor as of unheard bells between" them 8) .

I'm sure that, now, if anyone here comes up with one, they'll be contacting you directly :) .

Enjoy the show... now I can add you two on to my "be jealous of" [NOT :D ] list... I'm thrilled for you :D . Wish I were closer.

~ Lizzy
Zoe Martell

Post by Zoe Martell » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:28 am

Dar --

If I'm the one you pm'ed, I didn't get a message -- maybe I don't have that feature enabled.... I'll have to check.

We are going down for a long weekend with a packed car of paintings to deliver, so sadly we can't offer a ride (only room for 2 ppl in the car as it is....) Otherwise, I'd love to meet you.

W.B. Yeats
dick

Post by dick » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Nice article on Perla's concert tomorrow night at this link...

http://www.dailybulletin.com/music/ci_5282778

Will be anxious to read the fabulous reviews of a wonderful evening. Too bad Asher is too young... :-)

dick
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:00 pm

Ancient scriptures, parables and legends — along with romance in all its tangled forms — have always inspired the poetry and songs of Leonard Cohen.

In songs like "Story of Isaac," the poet, novelist and singer recasts Abraham's attempted sacrifice of his son as a contemporary morality play. Another number, "Who by Fire," is derived from a Jewish prayer recited on Yom Kippur, and one of Cohen's most famous songs, "Hallelujah," compares spiritualism to romantic yearning.

It's the spiritual aspect of Cohen's huge body of work that Perla Batalla, a former backup singer for the bard, aims to illuminate at Saturday's tribute concert to Cohen at UCLA's Royce Hall.

Batalla's "The Gospel According to Leonard Cohen," presented by UCLA Live, brings together singers Jackson Browne, Michael McDonald, Howard Tate, Dave Alvin and Julie Christensen in the service of such enduring songs as "Bird on the Wire," "Sisters of Mercy" and "Joan of Arc."

Cohen's music "will live forever," Batalla says. "The songs and themes are beautiful, and they will be discussed and appreciated for as long as people are on this planet."
You're so right, Dick. My favourite portions of the beginning of it are bolded. Lucky you who are able to attend! Even though I already know what the jist will be, looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback. Oh... how I hope these two women will be able to attend in Edmunton!

~ Lizzy

Return to “Related Artists”