A play based on the music of Leonard Cohen

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
st theresa1

A play based on the music of Leonard Cohen

Post by st theresa1 »

This has probably been noted elsewhere, but just in case--some friends from Montreal told me about this while in Poznan

C E N TA U R T H E AT R E PR ESEN T S
A GRAN HØJ DANS PR ODUCT I ON
North American Premiere

DI R E CT ED B Y PA LLE GRAN HØJ

Words become songs, music becomes
pictures and pain transforms into beauty.
- Danish Press

A spellbinding performance steeped in the seductive and evocative music of songwriting legend
Leonard Cohen. An international sensation!
Combining theatre, dance, visual arts and live music, this ground-breaking work explores the
architecture of the body and abandons itself to the irresistible sensuality, longing and
melancholy that define the lyrics and music of Dance Me to the End of Love and other songs by
Leonard Cohen. Created by the world renowned Granhøj Dans company in Aarhus, Denmark, the
production has been lauded by international critics for its brilliant imagination and broad appeal.
Founded by Artistic Director and Choreographer Palle Granhøj, the thirteen member company has
toured extensively around the world.

Danes doing C ohen?
W hen I saw this production in Amsterdam, I knew that
I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to present it in Montreal. The audience was completely
enraptured by the bold imagery, the gorgeous musical arrangements and
the dream-like theatricality.
-Roy

“Dance me to the end on/off Love” both entertains and moves with its nerve and its unique personal
touch.” – Aarhus Stiftstidende

“… it whistles through the air - and through one’s heart because of just joy.”
– Politiken

Made possible thanks to the support of the Danish Arts Council Committee of Performing Arts.

Associant sur scène théâtre, danse, arts visuels et musique, cette œuvre révolutionnaire explore
l’architecture du corps humain et s’abandonne à la sensualité, au désir et à la mélancolie
irrésistibles qui définissent les paroles et la musique de Dance Me to the End of Love et autres
chansons de Leonard Cohen. Créée par la compagnie de renommée mondiale Granhøj Dans d’Aarhus, au
Danemark, la production a reçu les éloges des critiques internationales pour l’imagination
brillante dont elle fait preuve et le vaste attrait qu’elle suscite. La célèbre compagnie qui a été
fondée par le directeur artistique et chorégraphe Palle Granhøj a fait d’innombrables tournées
autour du monde.

OUT
Cate

Re: A play based on the music of Leonard Cohen

Post by Cate »

Thanks Theresa!

I just went to check it out, it looks very interesting.
It's to bad for them that the dates did not overlap Leonard's concert dates.

http://www.centaurtheatre.com/dance.php
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

I just checked this link out and viewed the to 'Dance Me To The End Of Love' video sample: it is quite beautiful, mesmerising and engrossing. 8)

Apart from any others, I will also share it with my son who is a contemporary dancer/choreographer.

I do wish I could see this production - the tyranny of distance and opportunity is so unkind! :roll:

Thanks for sharing this Theresa and Cate. :D

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

“Words become songs, music becomes pictures and pain transforms into beauty.” - Danish Press

Centaur Theatre Company presents
The North American Premiere of
Dance Me to the End On/Off Love
Directed by Palle Granhøj
Celebrating the Music and Lyrics of Leonard Cohen
March 19 – April 14, 2013

Media Call: Tuesday March 19, 2013 at 12:30PM

-----------------------
« Ici, les mots deviennent chanson, la musique se fait images et la douleur se transforme en beauté. » - Danish Press

La Compagnie de théâtre Centaur présente
La première nord-américaine de

Dance Me to the End On/Off Love
Une production Granhøj Dans
Mise en scène de Palle Granhøj 
En hommage à la musique et aux paroles de Leonard Cohen
du 19 mars au 14 avril 2013

Rencontre Média: Mardi 19 mars, 2013

Information

Eloi Savoie
Communications Director/Directeur des communications
514 288 1229 ext 277
eloi@centaurtheatre.com

Centaur Theatre Company
453 St-Francois-Xavier
Montréal, QC H2Y 2T1
http://www.centaurtheatre.com

Here is the press release (pdf-file): http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/centaur.pdf
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “Related Artists”