The Webb Sisters @ London UCL Bloomsbury: 15/5/2011

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
asta

Re: The Webb Sisters @ London UCL Bloomsbury: 15/5/2011

Post by asta » Sun May 15, 2011 8:28 am

Will be a shame to have two empty seats as the girls look out into the front row - where most of the 'Leonard' fans sit. If no 'takers' from the Forum at short notice, perhaps call Bloomsbury Theatre with the exact seat numbers so they know they can sell these to any possible 'walk up' people trying to get tickets tonight.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon May 16, 2011 3:09 am

What an absolutely fantastic evening! I made it to the Bloomsbury shortly before the concert, and it was great to meet a whole bunch of forum people including Laura who was sitting in the row behind, and Marie and Al who were sitting next to me on the left. I enjoyed support, Simon Lynge's set. He's quite Paul Simonesque, and included "Dock of the Bay" and "The Future" (a good song of his own, not Leonard's). Karren's two unused seats were taken by Sue Merlyn (who had previously been at the back) and the AEG Live cameraman sat was directly next to me. After much clicking of camera in my right ear, I told him politely that it was a tad annoying, and he kindly conceded!

I had a great view from A7, but initially I was apprehensive about whether it would work so well, after the intimacy of Green Note. I didn't take notes or manage to secure a set list this time, but as I recall, our heriones kicked off with "Baroque Thoughts", "Calling This a Life" and "In Your Father's Eyes". Soon after they were joined by the male members of the band - bass, pedal steel and brother Brad on drums, with a striking shorter haircut and beardless, I think. (sorry, but when the sisters are onstage - I notice little else).

At first, I thought the drumming was a bit strong, but then suddenly everything gelled and the music really took off. Two young ladies joined the band on strings occasionally, including, of course, for "Words That Mobilise". The evening contained some surprises, includingTracey Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You Tonight" and Elvis's "You Were Always on My Mind" (one of my favourite songs of his). We also got "Dead Old Leaves" and a rousing "I Still Here It". There was a great country number, the title of which escapes me. (these girls could have a second career as a country rock band!). "Savages" and "Burn" were exceptionally strong, and I enjoyed "Amelies Smile" (I have come to love these three tracks over the past week). "If It Be Your Will" was more sublime than ever, and the concert closed with "Yours Truly", "The Goodnight Song" and "1000 Stars". Finally, there was the magical moment when the sisters stepped off the stage and played their acoustic rendition of "Heart Like a Wheel"...first over to my left, then almost in front of me.

In conclusion, the show was a resounding triumph. It was great to chat with more good people afterwards...the man who worked for David Bowie (circa '66), Karen and Alan, my good friend Andy, and Ross (from Hattie Webb House). Naturally, it was lovely to chat with Hattie and Charley briefly during their CD signing, and also to meet their wonderful parents again. That's about it...bought the t-shirt...you don't need a Webb-er-man to know which way the wind blows!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:35 pm

A few photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a1b0a6d352

It was great to see everyone at the meet and at the show. Good to meet you at last John - even if you did forget my name!

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue May 17, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks for the lovely photos Wendy! Glad to hear you all had a great time.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Tue May 17, 2011 2:40 am

What a wonderful concert this must have been! Not only to see Hattie and Charley but to get together with other Forum members. The Webbs have a significant repertoire of songs....including their new album...which I love!

Wendy, thank you for sharing your photos! They are all lovely, but I especially like the closeups....when they were in front of the stage, and also during the cd signing. Their personalities simply shine, and I found myself smiling at each one.

Wish them all the best on this European tour....I know they will be loved!!

Diana

Return to “Related Artists”