The Webb Sisters @ London UCL Bloomsbury: 15/5/2011

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
ScottM

Re: The Webb Sisters @ London UCL Bloomsbury: 15/5/2011

Post by ScottM » Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Some of you might well be aware of this already. The support act is a Danish (Greenland) singer/songwriter called Simon Lynge. There are a few videos on Youtube. He is due on from 7.30 until 8.45 according to the box office and then the Webb Sisters "anytime" after that.

Helen (The Tipsy Wife)and I are are going to be in the Fitzroy Tavern around (6.00pm). We have also been in contact with other forum members (via PMs)and are hoping to get together there. Please see details of the pub below:

Fitzroy Tavern, 16 Charlotte St, W1T 2NA (tube: Goodge St), ☎ +44 20 7580 3714.

Owned by the Samuel Smith brewery, the Fitzroy Tavern offers good, cheap beer. The pub, which took its name from a local aristocrat, the Earl of Fitzroy, in turn inspired the name of the surrounding area of Bloomsbury, Fitzrovia, and was a popular drinking place for BBC broadcasters (including George Orwell) following the Second World War. A very friendly pub, with nice outdoor seating in summer.
An historic pub, once frequented by a bohemian London ‘set’ of writers, artists, sculptors, composers and poets. Today, it is a thriving place that hangs onto its creative nature with the Writers’ Bar downstairs. On a summer’s evening it’s fun to nab an outside table and settle in to enjoy the pub grub, buzzy atmosphere and, of course, the beer.

Different guides give the walking time to the Bloomsbury Theatre anything from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. There are quite a few pubs closer to the venue, but we liked this one when we scouted the area last week. Nearest tube station is Goodge street but also not too far to Warren St or Euston.

Please note that this is not an official forum meet up. We will just be enjoying a refreshment or two before walking over to the Bloomsbury Theatre for the concert. There is not anything organised but we look forward to meeting anyone who wants to pop in.

Hope to see you there!

Regards,

Scott & Helen
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

ScottM wrote:Some of you might well be aware of this already. The support act is a Danish (Greenland) singer/songwriter called Simon Lynge. There are a few videos on Youtube. He is due on from 7.30 until 8.45 according to the box office and then the Webb Sisters "anytime" after that.

Hi Scott. I have no idea how these concerts usually happen, don't even know how the venue looks like; do you know what "anytime" after that might mean? Specifically, I was thinking to take the last train back to Birmingham at 11,30, as I don't waste the money for a hotel night in London (damned expensive places!); might the concert end by then?
I also look forward to meeting you... if I manage to locate that pub... and if I do, how do I recognise you?
Laura
ScottM

Post by ScottM » Wed May 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Laura wrote:
ScottM wrote:Some of you might well be aware of this already. The support act is a Danish (Greenland) singer/songwriter called Simon Lynge. There are a few videos on Youtube. He is due on from 7.30 until 8.45 according to the box office and then the Webb Sisters "anytime" after that.

Hi Scott. I have no idea how these concerts usually happen, don't even know how the venue looks like; do you know what "anytime" after that might mean? Specifically, I was thinking to take the last train back to Birmingham at 11,30, as I don't waste the money for a hotel night in London (damned expensive places!); might the concert end by then?
I also look forward to meeting you... if I manage to locate that pub... and if I do, how do I recognise you?
Laura
Hi Laura,

I do not know for sure what time the Webb Sisters will start, but probably quite soon after the support singer finishes around 9.00. My wife, Helen (The Tipsy Wife) saw them at the Green Note and the set was around an hour. However, I would expect this concert to be a bit longer. Probably finishing around 10.30 (educated guess only). I surmise that your train will probably be leaving from Marylebone so you should still be able to make it back across in time to catch it from Warren St or Euston tube. Just be aware, if you have not considered it already, that the underground tends to close a bit earlier on a Sunday night (usually by 11.00pm).
I will pm you when I can come up with a reasonable description of myself. (Other than, we are both short and Scottish!)
As I said previously, it will be very informal. Just a get together for a quick drink and walk over.I wouldn't expect the pub to be too busy at that time on a Sunday and it isn't really that big anyway so I am sure you will be able to spot us. I might even wear a Leonard Cohen T shirt.
If you can not make it, I am sure there will be plenty of us at the venue. Here is a link to the Bloomsbury Theatre. website where you can find a further link to a map "Find Us". http://www.thebloomsbury.com/

Hope to see you at the Fitzroy Tavern.

Regards,

Scott
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Thank you for the information, Scott. One of the reasons I am coming to their concert in London instead of simply going to Birmingham is for the meeting... I seriously miss talking with some cohenites (withdrawal symptoms!), and apparently there are none available here. ;-)
Now this is a serious question: how do you recognise a cohenite?! Are there any outward signs? Well, about me, I am shy, probably too-young looking, and sort of reddish-blonde at the moment.
My train actually leaves from Euston, which on the map seems within walking distance from Bloomsbury... fortunately, as London metro seems like a huge enygma to me (pricewise, I mean. I have never seen something this complicated! With the exception of UK trains, maybe...)

Laura
asta

Post by asta » Thu May 12, 2011 8:26 am

At most gigs) the 'support' definitely does NOT perform for 1 1/4 hours. Support is usually 30 / 40 minutes.
Bloomsbury Theatre is literally only 5 - 7 minutes walk from the theatre. Apparently there is a 'meet and greet' after the concert / meet The Webb Sisters / album release - signing etc. I am sure the evening has been well planned and will be fantastic. Bloomsbury Theatre indicate the evening is completely sold out, with only some 'standing' tickets at the rear of the circle available.
Laura

Post by Laura » Thu May 12, 2011 11:09 pm

asta wrote:Bloomsbury Theatre is literally only 5 - 7 minutes walk from the theatre.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you meant?
And, hmm, would that meet and greet end late, I wonder?!
Laura
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 am

Laura - when you leave the theatre, turn left and you come to Euston Road (one min.). You'll see the station forecourt across the road to the right (there's a few coffee shops, bars & restaurants there). All you've got to do is walk across the forecourt, and you come to the station entrance. I don't know the details of the meet 'n greet, yet.
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B » Fri May 13, 2011 12:53 pm

I have two very good tickets to the Webb Sisters concert for Sunday 15th May. Stalls, Row A Seats 5 & 6, that unfortunately I can no longer use.

If there is anyone who would like them and could pick them up(its too late to post them) from me. I don't want anything for them I just like to know they will not be wasted.

I live in Berkshire, just outside Windsor...PM me if you would like them and we can arrange pick up.

Karren B
xx
'Being ‘normal’ is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage!'

'Loving you is the most exquisite form of self destruction'...
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh » Sat May 14, 2011 12:21 am

Oh Karren what a pity you cannot go.I would be so mad if something like this happened to me.
I would have thought about taking a flight over as I have relations in Windsor but unfortunately I am totally booked out this weekend.
And Front Row seats too !!!
Im sure whoever the lucky ones to avail of your generous offer are,will have a fab time.
I hope they let us know how it went .
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn » Sat May 14, 2011 5:15 pm

'I also look forward to meeting you... if I manage to locate that pub... and if I do, how do I recognise you?
Laura'

Hey Laura,
I'm coming to see Hattie and Charlie tomorrow evening (saw them at the Green Note too and chatted afterwards, brilliant!), and intend to come and join you all at the Fitzroy Tavern beforehand. I think you may recognize me - and I will recognize Scott and Tipsy Wife Helen, so we'll find each other! I could of course come with a rose in my teeth - or it may be easier to wear a Leonard t-shirt.
Like John, I also have no idea yet about the so-called meet and greet afterwards, but someone will...
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat May 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Sue: are you Sue I sang with in Krakow (and sat next to in Hydra one evening two years ago?), or am I completely confused?

Laura
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Thank you Scott and Helen for suggesting a location for our meet up. I am hoping to be at the Fitzroy Tavern just after 6.00 pm. I'm hopeless at spotting people in pubs so please keep a look out for me. I won't have a rose in my teeth but I will be the one looking dazed and confused.

I'm off to see Jersey Boys at the Prince Edward Theatre in the afternoon, which is due to finish c 5.45 pm. There is a LC connection - I was determined to see a "show" while I was in Las Vegas. I managed to score a good ticket for Jersey Boys at the Venetian on Dec 9 via one of the discount ticket agencies and absolutely loved it. Seeing the show again will bring back warm and fuzzy memories of that trip, as of course will seeing everybody including Charley & Hattie at the Bloomsbury.

See you all soon

Wendy
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn » Sat May 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Maybe I'd better wear a Leonard t-shirt so that you'll know I'm meeting Leonard people in the pub!
Yes, Laura, that's me - we did some singing in Cracow and I was on the port in Hydra 2 years ago with you and loadsa others, like Russell, Willy, Wijbe, Jarkko, Eija et al.
See ya tomorrow, looking forward to it!
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat May 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Not only in the port, I think, Sue; we also had dinner once at a restaurant on the way to Leonard's house (what is the name of that place?!) and I was sitting next to you and Eric from Ireland and, to be honest, at some point so much native-english speaking almost put me to sleep... Well, see you tomorrow!
Laura
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B » Sun May 15, 2011 12:04 am

Still have two very good tickets available for Sunday night...(free to anyone who wants them)!

PM me if you are interested...don't want to waste them!

Karren B
xx
'Being ‘normal’ is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage!'

'Loving you is the most exquisite form of self destruction'...

Return to “Related Artists”