Adam Cohen: Adelaide, 8 March 2012

Adam Cohen's music, tours, other news
dce

Adam Cohen: Adelaide, 8 March 2012

Post by dce » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm just back from seeing Adam Cohen's show at the Garden of Unearthly Delights (part of Adelaide's wonderful Fringe festival that is in full swing at the moment).

While I'm not going to do a full review of the show, I thought I would just share a few impressions here on the forum.

Adam in the Spiegeltent

First off, I should say that I had a really great time at Adam's show ... but I'm certain I didn't really see him at his best. Coming to the stage wrapped in a scarf and looking a little unwell, Adam explained only one song in that he was suffering from a terrible flu ("picked up from a floozie" before coming to Australia). In his words, "I've never been so close to passing out as I feel right now". But despite this, and with the aid of a trusty stool ("I've never performed sitting down before ... it gives me an appreciation of what it must be like to tour as a 78-year old"), he perservered through an hour-long set that mixed material from his earlier albums with a few folkier songs from his new CD.

Although the banter was fresh, I couldn't help but think that Adam was suffering a little ... certainly his voice didn't seem at its best, being a little croaky and uncontrolled in the upper registers. But for someone as obviously ill as he was, he still put in a great performance.

The set-list included plenty of references and tips-of-the-hat to Leonard, which this fan certainly appreciated ... as did probably everyone else at the show: the demographic of the audience was decidedly at the older end of the spectrum. The concert ended with a rousing rendidion of "So Long, Marianne" complete with an audience sing-along and a lengthy in-song band intro that would not have been out of place in Leonard's World Tour. Well, except for inclusion of a few bars from George Michael's "Faith" (it made sense, in a wrong sorta way :-)).

All up ... a good show, well appreciated by a fairly "reserved" audience (who, to their credit, did give Adam a nice standing ovation at the end).

I only hope for Adam's sake that that Antibiotics kick in soon ... this was only the second date on his Oz tour: he has another show tomorrow night in Melbourne, then two more next week (Brisbane and Sydney).

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
bridger15

Re: Adam Cohen: Adelaide, 8 March 2012

Post by bridger15 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for your excellent report and photo, Dean.
We appreciate hearing so quickly about Adam's tour in Oz.
Too bad Adam is suffering from the flu.
He seems to be a real trooper though, in that "the show must go on".
Hopefully he will feel better soon.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mydoglorca

Re: Adam Cohen: Adelaide, 8 March 2012

Post by mydoglorca » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 am

I really felt when we saw Adam at Union Chapel last week that he was not quite in top form then & think he may well have been 'brewing up for the flu'. Having already seen him at two previous shows we had something to compare his performance with. Although his voice was just as good we were surprised when he appeared wrapped in a scarf. He had cut back on the banter/chat compared to the previous shows & we did wonder at the time if he was a little 'under the weather'. Really hope he recovers soon but I guess all the travelling / rehearsals etc hardly help the situation.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester

Return to “Adam Cohen”