Adam Cohen - Listen to "What Other Guy"

Adam Cohen's music, tours, other news
MarieM

Adam Cohen - Listen to "What Other Guy"

Post by MarieM »

There is a link on the site to listen to What Other Guy. The song is just beautiful.

http://www.spinner.com/2011/03/14/adam- ... ike-a-man/
Adam Cohen Gets Dad Leonard's Praise for 'What Other Guy' -- Song Premiere
Posted on Mar 14th 2011 1:15PM by Steve Baltin Comments (0)

Singer-songwriter Adam Cohen, son of Leonard Cohen, knows that there's almost no winning when it comes to meeting the lofty expectations placed on him. "What you end up having is disappointment written on the faces of people when they hear your music because it's either too much or not enough like they were hoping and expecting," Cohen tells Spinner.

For a long time, Cohen let the pressure of his legacy influence him musically. "I was playing a different kind of game, one that was designed to have toes tap and heads nod, possibly have songs spin on the radio, all of which I was capable of doing and successful in doing it," he says. "I had a No. 2 hit at Triple A [radio] for weeks on end and songs that charted."

But after a five-year hiatus from music, Cohen has finally embraced his name with the upcoming album, 'Like a Man.' "It's a combination of songs I didn't have the courage to release because they were too much like my old man's music for my own taste. I had been busy trying to carve a niche for myself and was fearful of the fact that the songs were either too much or not enough like my old man," he says.

The song, 'What Other Guy,' is a beautiful, poetic piece, definitely worthy of the Cohen name, and Adam even got that word from his father, who called it a "world-class love song." Hearing that from his dad meant a great deal to the younger Cohen. "It was a tremendous validation and relief to have the nod of approval and even enthusiastic support of my father on this new project," he says.

The link between fathers and sons, and children wanting their father's respect, goes back a long way. "The other way to look at it is sons going into their father's business is something that long predates [me]," he says. "Jesus went into the family business and one of the lures of going into the family business is not just that you were brought up under certain circumstances down a certain path, it's also that you have a natural goal to gain the respect and admiration of your parents."
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mutti

Re: Adam Cohen - Listen to "What Other Guy"

Post by mutti »

Oh thank you Marie for posting this today. Your two posts have made my day more interesting.
I needed so much to hear a beautiful love song so the timing is perfect.
I like Adam's voice and reading about what he has to say about his songs.
Seems like such a sweet open guy who also sings and writes well.
Thanks
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nice article - and yet another good song from this album! 8)
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

OMG I've still got goosebumps! Thank you so much Marie.
My husband was watching something on TV and I asked him to turn down the sound and just listen to something. He said "That's something from the 60s, Leonard"!!!!!!!!!!! True, if you close your eyes it could be Leonard. Beautiful!
Anne
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Wow ... beautiful.

Thanks for the link Marie.

Wendy
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Thanks Marie, great song!!!
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love this song. Adam's Dad is right... and I hope Adam will continue to follow his original instincts.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

In the past year I've become so impressed with Adam. He's finding his own musical soul....it can't have been easy. This love song is beautiful and I'm looking forward to his album - and concerts. I very much like Adam's voice, and of course he is not hard on the eyes ;-)

Thanks Marie for sharing with us!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

The lucky folks in the Woodstock, NY area will have a chance to see Adam Cohen performing,

Adam is opening for Rachael Yamagata.

Bearsville Theater in Woodstock.
Wednesday, March 16 at 8 pm

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That looks like it will be a wonderful concert, Arlene. Lucky those who will be there. Wish I could.

Thanks for posting this.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mousey03

Post by mousey03 »

By the way, Rachael Yamagata is absolutely amazing. If you haven't heard her music, it's worth a listen. I've seen her live a couple of times, and she's a great performer. To see her with Adam Cohen would be a treat.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

A buzz is building about Adam's new album. Here's a thoughtful blog entry that discusses his career path:

http://thehiddenmixedtape.wordpress.com ... dam-cohen/
"Our futures are often seeping through our blood; it’s just a natural part of us. There is just someone or something calling our names."

And Paste Magazine is also taking note:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... a-man.html
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Nice interview with Adam in Austin by Australian media. I like what he says about the difference between knowing who you are and what you want to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1try29_7M
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Adam Cohen”