I think Leonard's new album is awful.

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
shelleyd

I think Leonard's new album is awful.

Post by shelleyd »

I have been a fan of the lovely Mr Cohen for more than 40 years. I have listened to hours and hours of his music and seen him in concert many times, when I played Old Ideas for the first time the other day, I didn't like it at all. I'm afraid The Lord of Song has let me down this time :(
Last edited by shelleyd on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Dublin National Stadium - 2008 Dublin Kilmainham - 2008 02 London - 2008 Birmingham - 2009 02 Dublin
fan4over40years

Re: I think Leonard's new album is awful.

Post by fan4over40years »

shelleyd,

please listen to the tracks a few more times,

I think that this album is far better then Ten New Songs and Dear Heather, both of which took me a while to get used to.

I'm sure they will grow on you. ;-)
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

shelleyd wrote:I have been a fan of the lovely Mr Cohen for more that 40 years. I have listened to hours and hours of his music and seen him in concert many times, when I played Old Ideas for the first time the other day, I didn't like it at all. I'm afraid The Lord of Song has let me down this time :(
I will admit that I wasn't sold on it at first, either, particularly the more spoken word tracks.

Having listened to it a few more times, I really do enjoy almost all of it, the only one I don't really care for is "Anywho" and "Come Healing". "Amen", "Different Sides", "The Darkness", "Lullaby" are really great songs. "Show Me The Place" is a great track, particularly the instrumentation and Jennifer Warnes' background vocals.

And "Going Home" is a great opener. I've found that a lot of the tracks I didn't like started creeping up in my head when I wasn't even thinking about them. :)
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles »

I have never like Dear Heather, and admit I rarely play it, so when I put Old Ideas on for the first time I were dreading it was going to be another " Dear Heather ".
I have to say, from the first play, I love it. So don't lose heart with it, bear with it. Then if it is still not for you, remember Leonard is only human, and cannot please us all with every song or poem he writes. :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

i love that quote, scott! so true and i've seen it in operation many times in my personal life, both giving and receiving.
i look forward to your threshold posting, shelleyd. leonard is still very much the lord of song and even closer to his lord with this phenomenal album.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
I'm your fan

Post by I'm your fan »

I didn't like "Dear Heater", too. I'm listening now to "Old ideas": it's great! A work of art, and I mean it, seriously. I think it's his "mature" work. Of course, nothing else could be expected from a seventy-seven years old master.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I can only echo what has already been said. Listen to "Old Ideas" properly a couple more times, and you'll probably change your mind very quickly. I wasn't sure on the first two plays, but then I realised that "Old Ideas" is a work of genius. "Going Home", "Show Me the Place" and "Come Healing" are so beautiful that they've moved me to tears. Initially I thought that "Amen" and "Lullaby" were lesser tracks, but I soon realised they're great songs. You'll even find "Banjo" going round in your head before too long!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

When I was much younger, I remember hating Heath bars [hard toffee] and bleu cheese dressing. Both acquired tastes for me and I continue to love them both. I was about 8 years old with the Heath, and in my early 20s with the dressing. Timing.
~ Oscar Wilde
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I pre-ordered, too, Scott, but if I were still waiting on Sony, I wouldn't have heard it yet, either.
I've only heard it, due to my having ordered, again... as well as a dear friend 8) sending me one, so I could have the naked woman with skull litho. No idea if the Sony thing is even going to happen! It's gotta make you wonder, right!?!

That's a great anecdote about the book! It's just so true!!

I've wondered, too, whether age impacts appreciation of this particular album. I know some of us are more acutely aware of our mortality than others.
~ Oscar Wilde
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Yes, I would echo these sentiments. It happens to me often with works of fiction. I find a book, find it impossible to read and then years later I can't put it down. Sometimes with albums (not leonards, but certainly Dylans) I can only appreciate aspects of them when they've settled into a context and other albums are released. It took me years and the release of "good albums" to appreciate Dylan's "Shot of Love" - I didn't like the cover, the production etc.... but now I realise it was at least a brave effort at making some kind of statement and to take a step away from religious dogma and I can appreciate it and laugh at out of tune instruments and out of time drums! (Just thought - I get like this about architecture too)

I wanted to add: I think Leonards done his time in the tower with total integrity and we've got some great work to enjoy. I don't think he could let me down now. I want him to enjoy doing whatever he does...
shelleyd

Re I thought that Leonard's new album was awful, I was wrong

Post by shelleyd »

:!: Well here I am, eating humble pie, I did what was suggested and gave Old Ideas another go and I have to admit that I was wrong, to say it was awful was a stupid thing to say, it is in fact a very good album and I enjoyed it the second time around. Maybe I was just having a bad day! Leonard Cohen isn't capable of producing anything awful, he always was and still is a perfectionist. My apologies to the great Mr. Cohen :oops:
Last edited by shelleyd on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Dublin National Stadium - 2008 Dublin Kilmainham - 2008 02 London - 2008 Birmingham - 2009 02 Dublin
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Pleased to hear this, Shelley. Have any tracks become special favourites, yet? Remember that if you so wish, you could edit the title of your post to say !"I thought that Leonard's new album was awful!

All good things, John E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

LOLOLOL, shelley... I love your new thread title.
And when it comes to humble pie, we've all had a slice for at least one occasion in our lives, and understand... just glad you took the suggestions and listened with an open mind. And, of course, glad to see you up there on the plateau now :D .

It's a departure for sure, and I, too, love seeing the artists I love taking risks in new directions... even though this for Leonard was little risk, given his long-term, hard-core fan base. Even so, it remains a new direction... and we love it.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “OLD IDEAS”