Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Cate

Re: Your Old Ideas listening plans?

Post by Cate »

Well like hophead I was going to wait to have the cd in my hand and then listen to it in it's entirety BUT I don't have it yet and it won't be out until Tuesday and CBC 2 will be playing tunes from it all day that day which I'm hoping to hear part of... so I'm going to listen the free streaming early tomorrow morning (I want to be able to hear the whole album all at once).
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Am I the only one that will just bung it on the CD player, sit and listen to it? I hadn't thought to listen to it whilst on a trip on a boat, or have candles burning in a dim room, or to be in total isolation..............

Although I might have a sandwich, or even a cup of tea during the CD but as it stands right now, I have no plans to do so.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Having received an email informing me that my CD had been shipped two days ago, I was fully expecting to have it today. Our mail isn't delivered until after luchtime, so I worked my bits off in the garden this morning - digging, sweeping, gathering, dumping - in the expectation of sitting down this evening with a glass of wine and some blissful listening. Alas, no CD. So it's Sibelius instead for now.

I'll probably end up listening to it on the way to work next week, but maybe my students will benefit from a very chilled and laid-back teacher that day!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote:Am I the only one that will just bung it on the CD player, sit and listen to it?
A lot to be said for that, Vicomte ! My most enjoyable listen so far has been on my sofa, one sleeping dog on each side, ( I think Leonard has a calming effect on them ) in front of a lovely real coal fire. Recommended...
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
famousbluebob

Post by famousbluebob »

I have been listening to the album almost nonstop via streaming but I will purchase the album on tuesday.It's the first time, ever that I will already have worn out listening to an album before it is released.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

scocoh wrote:To me, the release of a new Leonard record is an event and that first listen is something very special. To hear a new Leonard song for the first time brings a lot of enjoyment, surprise, insight, and a sense of beauty. To not give it it's proper due would be like flying somewhere to the best restaurant in the world and instead of sitting down and taking it all in you get the meal takeaway, go outside and stand on the sidewalk and eat. Same food, after all. ;-)
Well put!
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Wow, what a wonderful thread! I feel a bit of a voyeur reading all your 'special' arrangements for your first hearing. I now realise I have missed out, I should have read this thread before I played the cd for the first time.

So, I am going to have a meringue nest, surrounded by raspberries (I only have frozen ones to defrost but they will do), then topped with 3 dollops of Cornish clotted ice cream with extra thick double cream ladled on top (I love it when the cream hardens on top of the ice cream). This isn't as sophistocated as some of the arrangements I have read here but as an emergency measure it will work for me :D Of course it will my second hearing but that's okay. I think I will light a nice candle as well. I feel better now that I have sorted that out.

Like you, Musicmania, I was sure that I heard The Webb Sisters singing on Come Healing (which reduced me to tears) and was surprised that they didn't, it seems. Also, although Anjani is mentioned as having arranged etc Crazy to Love You, she doesn't appear to have sung on any of the tracks, or did I miss something. I will go and have another look.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I work from home and have a lot going on right now... this album is perfect for relaxation once work is done :) I really like the guitar at the beginning of The Darkness
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
Harriet s

Post by Harriet s »

I have been in possession of the wonderful album for a couple of days now, but I will not be listening to it until the 16th Feb, when I can lay back in the arms of someone very special to me and we will listen to it together. And I’m sure we’ll raise a glass or two to the great man Himself, and thank him for bringing us together in the first place!

Counting the days!…

‘There are no words to express the depth of my love for you’
We'll always have Dublin!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

scocoh wroie:
Meh. Why complain about others' practices? What's the difference? You are doing the same thing-- putting yourself in a position to enjoy and concentrate on the music. Why sit on the couch and listen? Why the cup of tea? Why not stand up the entire time? Why not put your headphones on and go out to dinner? Why not listen whilst doing the dishes? Why not mow the lawn while listening?
:shock: Oh please tell me that was tongue in cheek, an attempt at irony?

Complain? I merely noted the bizarre way people had planned to listen to Leonard's new CD and wondered who might just be going to bung the CD on and listen to it normally? Sorry if that upsets you, or anyone else but I really find the all too often over the top adoration out of place for someone who is great poet who puts some of those into song. Leonard is not a pop idol, not an Elvis, not a Manilow, just a simple man who wants to offer his own wisdom to those that will enjoy listening to him. Never in his wild imagination could he ever envisaged posts that are witnessed on here. To me, it somehow diminishes him, his words, his meaning, his music, sorry but that is sadly how I see some posts.
Forget the specific practices---It's all the same: It's about concentrating/ enjoying/ enhancing. To me, the release of a new Leonard record is an event and that first listen is something very special. To hear a new Leonard song for the first time brings a lot of enjoyment, surprise, insight, and a sense of beauty. To not give it it's proper due would be like flying somewhere to the best restaurant in the world and instead of sitting down and taking it all in you get the meal takeaway, go outside and stand on the sidewalk and eat. Same food, after all. ;-)[/quote]

Some new releases have certainly not been something special on the first play, New Skin for the Old Ceremony, Ten New Songs, and Dear Heather spring to mind, I wouldn't think that large a percentage thought the very first play was "special". For my part they needed an awful lot of listening to before I did come to enjoy the songs. This last tour appears to have brought out folks that must have once have been Osmond fans, or dare I say, even Bay City Roller fans (Sorry for those folks who are from outside the UK, who are unaware of this "group" you missed nothing :lol: ) who since their groups demise were seeking someone else to salivate over. Listen I don't mind the way the fans/supporters have shown such enjoyment at the concerts, they have been excellent but having to read some of the slush, really is galling at times and if I was a 77 year old man reading some of the posts from people on here, I might wonder if my words that were so long in putting together were reaching the people I had intended them for.

Sorry again if that seems hard but that is how I see it, rightly or wrongly. :(

Ann perhaps a loan of two dogs from the neighbours might be the answer ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

I took my CD on a road trip........

I said this to Tipperary Ann the other day. When I buy an album and try to listen to it in the house, I get distracted, and then more distracted and then some. And then i press the repeat button and and press it again and I start to feel guilty becasue I am turning music into muzak.

Where I do get to listen to it is in the car, on a long drive, alone. Today I spent nearly 7 hours in the car, and Lenny was with me all the way. All I can say is that this album is "a keeper" !

Its got a lot more complexity than I first gave it credit for, and its quite entertaining as well. Some of the thoughts it provokes are far too personal to relate, and some of the humour too quirky to make sense to others. Suffice to say that its a good one in every sense.

Enjoy !
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Vicomte wrote: This last tour appears to have brought out folks that must have once have been Osmond fans, or dare I say, even Bay City Roller fans ... and if I was a 77 year old man reading some of the posts from people on here, I might wonder if my words that were so long in putting together were reaching the people I had intended them for.
That is a truly offensive and insulting thing to say. How dare you suggest that we are somehow unworthy of Leonard Cohen's work, just because you do not share our particular way of enjoying it or the way we express ourselves about it. You do not know who we are, or how long we have admired Mr. Cohen, or how much his work means to us, or anything else about us, and yet you are quite willing to belittle us and mock what we say and do.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

LisaLCFan wrote:
Vicomte wrote: This last tour appears to have brought out folks that must have once have been Osmond fans, or dare I say, even Bay City Roller fans ... and if I was a 77 year old man reading some of the posts from people on here, I might wonder if my words that were so long in putting together were reaching the people I had intended them for.
That is a truly offensive and insulting thing to say. How dare you suggest that we are somehow unworthy of Leonard Cohen's work, just because you do not share our particular way of enjoying it or the way we express ourselves about it. You do not know who we are, or how long we have admired Mr. Cohen, or how much his work means to us, or anything else about us, and yet you are quite willing to belittle us and mock what we say and do.
Ermm, you said you were somehow unworthy, not me.

I felt that Leonard might wonder why he wrote such poems/songs for people who write in such a slushy way. After all, if Leonard wrote his songs in the same mode some posts are made on here, then surely, the people who bought those albums might well be of the Osmond, or Bay city Roller types..........It is not mocking, nor belittling, it is just the way I see it and my honest thoughts. I don't know how long anyone has been a fan, I merely stated that is how it appears to comes across now, since the last tour. And to be honest, I have said it before, that since and during the 2008-10, the fans have changed since the early times and I honestly can say, it does make me cringe a little, sorry but that's the way it is. Leonard is is 77, he is a mature and a very likeable man, I have always found him to be polite and generous in giving people his time. I just find it very bizarre the way some people talk about him and his being and I really do feel it doesn't sit right to read some of the postings on here.
Neil from The Young Ones
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Vicomte,

You mentioned that you found Leonard to be 'polite and generous' with people. It is a shame that you have not learned anything from him. To me it is the heighth of snobbishness to judge others as you have.

Everyone enjoys Leonard in his/her own way and this is just the place to share our thoughts and news.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “OLD IDEAS”