Leonard Cohen in Paris "Old Ideas"

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Tony Crosbie

Re: Leonard Cohen in Paris "Old Ideas"

Post by Tony Crosbie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Thank you Ine and Maarten for the very informative reports from Paris.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 am

"I'm already working on a new album which I hope will come within a year."

-So when will we hear snippets from that album, anyone?
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:27 am

Needless to say, I'm in need of a PM, Maarten ;-) . You had to have been stunned by the news you were going... and you so deserve it 8) !!!

I am beside myself with joy for your having been able to attend and interact with Leonard as you did.

And to Ine, with a special anecdote to go with Leonard's signing of your name :D . And that beautiful reporter with the remarkable face, as you've so aptly described. It seem Leonard agrees with you on that.

So good to hear such familiar names with the others in Leonard's companion force who were also there with him.

Thank you for these wonderful reports written from people here and those posted by Arlene.

Such a rewarding night for everyone and more good news from Leonard. He adds so much to our lives with the wisdom of his words.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:39 am

I love the headline in both French and English
Lesoir.be
http://blog.lesoir.be/frontstage/2012/0 ... eau-cohen/

google translation
posted January 17, 2012

Le nouveau Leonard Cohen est une vraie perle
The new Leonard Cohen is a real gem

The pilgrim of love is back with his twelfth album. We listened to the Hotel Crillon in his presence and that of the European press. "Old ideas" are affected by the ten songs by an artist unparalleled. Story of a listening familiarly angels.

Paris,
From our special correspondent

Hotel Crillon in Paris. Views of the Place de la Concorde, the obelisk and the Ferris wheel piercing the night of his twinkling lights.

At the Salon of the Eagles, who, with their gilded stucco convent large chandeliers of another age, a pilgrim from Quebec 77 years. Black hat like the suit and tie, slightly arched, Leonard moves us to present his twelfth album, the first eight years, "Old ideas". His chair faces the representatives of the European press that Israel and Poland to Portugal, has made an appointment there specifically to hear this disc including two titles, "Show me the place" and "The Darkness" had already been revealed on the Internet.

Leonard, at least, has lost none of his legendary humor, "Thank you all for being here, I appreciate from my heart. Let only that I turned my chair and turns his back on you so you can express your emotions. Feel free to do so in your heart. "

Leonard and sits in the front row to listen to the whole of the ten songs written over a long period of time (hence the title of Old ideas). The screen does not release the cover: a Leonard wrote in a garden in front of his home in Montreal, his shadow equilibrium with that of the photographer. The disc opens with "Going Home" and immediately, we plunged into the familiar world which is the softest and most sensual drugs. The organ, the female chorus (Dana Glover, Sharon Robinson, Webb Sisters and Jennifer Warnes), violin ... The sound, concocted by the producer (including Madonna), Patrick Leonard, is respectful of the deep voice well highlighted . Leonard blows us all his love into the ear. Lessons of life and humanity, it also allows a flash of self-mockery about Leonard, this "lazy bastard living in a following" (that lazy bastard living in a costume).

Delicacy mad

The melancholy returns to klezmer "Amen", angelic voices and bridge the trumpet ... Time stops flowing or rather differently. The guitar and organ are all impressionistic delicacy of crazy. There is no one now to make a disc is essential listening in religious silence. The more rhythmic "The Darkness" delivers his blues contagious. It goes into levitation zen where there is no sadness or depression. Leonard sings of life and love as well the suffering that result. In "anyhow", the melody disappears almost entirely behind the declamation. On "Crazy to Love You" is a huge and generous armful of love that embraces us with the serenity that allows us to be at peace with ourselves and the world. "Come healing" is the drug indicated by a "Banjo" country-blues flirting with Louisiana. The harmonica is then decorate the lullaby "Lullaby", the wind blowing through the trees bringing the freshness, at no time leaves the poet troubadour. Ending with "Different Sides" Leonard the last time we slip into the ear that voice that makes us irresistibly bewitching love. Hot! Leonard is a scoundrel. It's over. With a small knowing smile, he turned and said, "No one laughed! ".

It misses the drink of friendship, the lights of the city at our feet. And then when you least expect more, here Leonard folding the game photos and autographs, with angelic patience and kindness.

It goes away, consumed by the night and illuminated boulevards. We replay the album and we already know that this will often require years of this dope music. Leonard thank you to provide us as much happiness!

Thierry Coljon

Old Ideas" by Leonard Cohen (Columbia-Sony Music) in Belgium will be in stores this Friday, January 27. The Mad 25 issue of the contents of the press conference in Paris by the Artist.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
holydove

Post by holydove » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Maarten,

Thank you for your story, & for telling us what that big beautiful smile on Leonard's face was about! I'm so happy that you were able to be there! I was kind of shocked to see "Show Me The Place" on the Webb Sisters' setlist (Leonard hasn't even done that song live yet. . .yes, I know there is a thread regarding covers of that song already, but I haven't gone there, so I don't know anything about it). Anyway, if you are reading this, I wonder what the Webb Sisters' cover was like, & how you felt about it, if you feel like saying. . .Thank you.
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:22 pm

holydove wrote:Anyway, if you are reading this, I wonder what the Webb Sisters' cover was like, & how you felt about it, if you feel like saying. . .Thank you.
I think I have a recording of the song from Bruges, but haven't found the time yet to upload it... Will do so tonight and post a link here! :-)

M

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
holydove

Post by holydove » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Wow, Maarten, you are so fast!! Thank you in advance for posting that link - it will be interesting to hear.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Maarten wrote:I think I have a recording of the song from Bruges, but haven't found the time yet to upload it... Will do so tonight and post a link here! :-)
That would be awesome. Thanks!
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks, Maarten. I'm waiting for this upload too. Not sure, but it looks like first live performances of this song, as all previous covers (eight so far?) were made at home/studios.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi,
I uploaded the video, but it might take a few minutes before you can find it online... I didn't tape the first seconds of the song and I didn't want to film the Webbs so I left my camera recording the audio only (left it on my lap, so only black video footage).

Still, it gives a pretty good idea of the cover version by The Webb Sisters: http://youtu.be/87igCkG-ivI

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks, Maarten!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 am

Maarten wrote:the cover version by The Webb Sisters: http://youtu.be/87igCkG-ivI
They changed the melody somewhat.
Hartmut

AW: Re: Leonard Cohen in Paris "Old Ideas"

Post by Hartmut » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 am

LisaLCFan wrote:They changed the melody somewhat.
They like to do that, apparently.
sien

Post by sien » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Old ideas
a beautiful dark pearl that enlightens life!
worth waiting for!
thank you leonard for your heavenly poetry and music!
sien
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:16 pm

What a thrill to read all the reviews and articles and posts. A BIG thank you to Ine, Maarten and Arlene!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “OLD IDEAS”