Old Ideas song snippets

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
ladydi

Re: Old Ideas song snippets

Post by ladydi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:03 am

I know I'm treading on hallowed ground here. I loved "Show Me the Place", but wish I had never listened to the snippets of the other songs on the album. Perhaps it was the simple acoustic sound (sans band)....perhaps it was simply because there wasn't quite enough of each song, but it didn't work with me. I will listen time and time again to "Show Me", but will now wait for another 5 weeks to absorb the whole sound, poetry, and depth behind each lyric.
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm

The link seems to have been removed .. perhaps it's for the best!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
holydove

Post by holydove » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:00 pm

I am very excited & happy about hearing some "solo Leonard" on the new album!
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:13 am

ladydi wrote:I know I'm treading on hallowed ground here. I loved "Show Me the Place", but wish I had never listened to the snippets of the other songs on the album. Perhaps it was the simple acoustic sound (sans band)....perhaps it was simply because there wasn't quite enough of each song, but it didn't work with me. I will listen time and time again to "Show Me", but will now wait for another 5 weeks to absorb the whole sound, poetry, and depth behind each lyric.
I am with you. After hearing "Show Me The Place", the piano and violin and live sounding production, my anticipation was pretty high. After hearing those samples though, I don't think the rest of album is as well done.

But time will tell!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

ladydi wrote:I know I'm treading on hallowed ground here.
Hardly!! It's just a case of personal preference.

Wendy
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:43 pm

I didn't get there quick enough. Are they reproduced anywhere?
jerry

Post by jerry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 am

Anyone know why the snippets were pulled? That's not a good sign. Usually once the song samples are out they're out for good.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
hadley

Post by hadley » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Listening to short snippets of a new Cohen album is like being told by God "you're about to meet a beautiful new woman, here's a picture of her kneecap".

We live in an age where everyone is trained to make instant judgments on everything but that's not always the wisest thing to do. Unless you've heard the full album (and several times) you can't pretend you know it or even know for sure if you will like it. Anyway quality wise he's never let anyone down before ;)
JudasPriest

Old Ideas song snippets

Post by JudasPriest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I think with the last couple of Dylan releases, snippets similarly went up for a short period only. It's a marketing technique sometimes disguised as an accidental error or a leak.
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Other snippets than those on Amazon are on this Dutch website
http://www.platomania.eu/album/2084345/ ... en-leonard
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
drsing

Post by drsing » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:29 am

Citizen_Kane wrote:Other snippets than those on Amazon are on this Dutch website
http://www.platomania.eu/album/2084345/ ... en-leonard
Thanks Citizen Kane,
and notice on the same webpage that the release date in the Netherlands is announced as Thursday, January 26, 18.00 h (local time) :roll: :roll: :roll:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm

They were playing Darkness on Italian radio yesterday! Leonard kicking off with a musical reference to his 60s style “chops” and moving into that funky blues groove. I've heard quite a bit of the album now and it doesn't sound like I thought it might... which pleases me. It's an artistic development from artist at an age where you think you already know pretty much all they can do. But unlike say Death of... it's a welcome surprise!

I'm not hearing the finality others seem to be hearing. I'm hearing maturity, confidence and exuberance. Nothing sounds as final as say If It Be Your Will, The Faith or Tacoma Trailer.... all of which proved far from final.

And I love these lyrics – understood in the heart because when you engage with them intellectually you sort of lose your grip on them. Perhaps that's the monkey wrench LC spoke of in the recent press junkets.

I met LC in 2008, quite by chance at the stage door of the Manchester Opera House. A black van pulled in and out he stepped and walked over to greet those assembled there. I don't know why I never posted these pictures before.
Attachments
Stage Door Signing
Stage Door Signing
Manchester Opera House Stage Door
Manchester Opera House Stage Door
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Jonnie Falafel wrote:The I've heard quite a bit of the album now and it doesn't sound like I thought it might... which pleases me. It's an artistic development from artist at an age where you think you already know pretty much all they can do. But unlike say Death of... it's a welcome surprise!

I'm not hearing the finality others seem to be hearing. I'm hearing maturity, confidence and exuberance.
I totally agree! It is wonderful to hear these diverse (and very enjoyable) new songs that demonstrate Leonard's incredible creativity! I am thrilled with what I have heard thus far (and like you, I was a bit surprised, but very pleasantly!), and I can hardly wait to hear the rest. :D

Return to “OLD IDEAS”