Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Goldin

Re: Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Post by Goldin »

The Musician Network, TMNTV:
G3 2012 & More! - Music News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8Mc3kqAUM (from 1:38)
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

I still didn't get a new scanner yet so here's another one I found that I'll retype as printed. This is in the latest Rolling Stone Issue 1146/1147 December 22-Jan 5 "2011 Year in Review" Double Issue page 22 "RS Playlist Our Favorite Songs, Albums, and Videos Right Now". Show Me the Place is their #1 favorite pick!

1. LEONARD COHEN "Show Me the Place"
Is that the voice of God
we hear rumbling from
on high? Basically! Taking
a break from eternal
enlightenment and
romancing superfoxy
spies-or whatever he
does with his downtime-
Leonard Cohen returns with this heavy,
mortality-facing ballad.
It's Cohen's first blast
from the forthcoming
Old Ideas (out next year),
his first since 2004. Yesssss!

Artical is printed over a 3 inch by 3 inch picture of LC from recent tour smiling away with microphone in hand.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Judy

Post by Judy »

Pure Charts by Charts in France, 21 December 2011

"Leonard Cohen is Back with Old Ideas"

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/Leonard-C ... 76848.html
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

21 stellar songs for your 2011 collection
By Peter Chianca
GateHouse News Service
15) "Show Me The Place," Leonard Cohen. Haunting and elegiac, it sounds like Cohen is back with a vengeance - his "Old Ideas," coming in January, should be a highlight of 2012.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Not that I normally care about what politicians think about music, but when Leonard Cohen's name is mentioned, I take notice! An informal survey of Canadian political figures (published in the Edmonton Journal) reveals their choices for best recording, movie or book from 2011, and one of these people names "Show Me The Place" as his favourite:

"Doug Finley, Conservative senator: Show Me the Place - Leonard Cohen. As a big Cohen fan, this was an easy choice. If the rest of the album is as good as this track..., it'll be a real winner!"

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertai ... story.html
remote1

Post by remote1 »

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertai ... old-ideas/
Leonard Cohen to Release Old Ideas
New album will arrive at end of January, his first studio work since 2004.
By Matt Rowe, Columnist
December 31, 2011 11:40 AM 0

Since 2001, Leonard Cohen has come alive musically. He had released the successful and well-received Ten New Songs, following that up with Dear Heather a few years later in 2004. Before that, his last studio release was The Future way back in 1992.

Following a highly publicized and well-attended world tour, Leonard Cohen released several related live offerings, Live In London (2009), and Songs From the Road released just a year later. Both live albums represent the phenomenon that has revitalized the Leonard Cohen that many of us had known and loved for many years prior.

Although Leonard Cohen is now 77, our Hall of Famer hasn’t slowed down too much. Although it’s been a few years since Dear Heather (he’s been out on tour, remember), Leonard Cohen is about to provide his latest new album to a public anxious for it.

On January 31, Columbia Records will release Old Ideas, an album of ten new songs. A single from the album, “Show Me the Place” has already been released and can be instantly downloaded if a pre-order is placed. The new song shows that Leonard Cohen has kept his lyrical prowess intact. Musically, the song reflects the current Cohen style that is heard on both Ten New Songs, and Dear Heather. The song is destined to be a Cohen classic.

Cohen had this to say about his upcoming release: "As I grew older, I understood that instructions came with this voice. And the instructions were these...Never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity & beauty."

Old Ideas is slated for release on CD, LP, and DD. However you choose to listen to Leonard Cohen, one thing is immediately assured. You will be entertained by one of the great masters of our time.

Leonard Cohen, you're always welcome!
"We are so lightly here"
rpan

Post by rpan »

Telegraph Online has this heading up their preview of 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... -year.html
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
remote1

Post by remote1 »

http://www.reviler.org/2012/01/03/leona ... the-place/
Leonard Cohen is one of those people, like Tom Waits or Nick Cave, whose music never runs the risk of weathering with age. Although none were aesthetically perfect, it wasn’t like any of them, and Cohen in particular, had any especially embarrassing phases to scrub from the record. Their output when they were in their 20s and 30s was so classic, fully developed, and timeless that their later work is simply an extension of their early work. The first song from the forthcoming Old Ideas LP (from a nearly 80-year-old Cohen, no less) is the listful ballad “Show Me the Place,” which sounds like a mixture between sad Christmas music and a funeral ballad. The simple piano arrangements create a sparse canvas for Cohen to tell his poetic stories in his trademark smoky baritone. Most artists have long since passed their songwriting prime by their 75th birthday, but for someone like Mr. Cohen, who sounded old when he was young, age is simply a number. I don’t know if the whole LP will be full of worthwhile additions to his catalog, but if anyone can pull it off, it would be Leonard Cohen.
"We are so lightly here"
remote1

Post by remote1 »

And a very short review:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 82673.html
Leonard Cohen: Old Ways

Cohen's first album in eight years offers the familiar blend of wry self-deprecation and spiritual wisdom we've come to expect from this self-proclaimed “lazy bastard in a suit”. As the title suggests, he pores over the passing and the past with insightful resignation and defiant, deadpan nobility, lamenting the waning of both youthful potency and, on a broader scale, moral standards.
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Attachments
Leonard-Cohen.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

In this morning's local News Limited newspaper in Adelaide, Australia, is an article "most-anticipated albums set for release in 2012".
"Old Ideas" is listed at #15, below Madonna, Stone Roses, Hilltop Hoods and Robbie Williams, among others, but above Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney.
Rufus Wainwright makes the list at 14.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Another piece from The Edmonton Sun, on "Most-Anticipated Albums of 2012":

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/12/30/m ... ms-of-2012

It puts Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas at #2 (although it does not specify that the list is in any particular order) and says:

"Further proof that old guys rule: In the wake of his triumphant comeback tour and an avalanche of honours, the 77-year-old Canadian folk-poet -- who remains blessed with the gift of the golden voice -- will release his first studio disc since 2004 on Jan. 31."
remote1

Post by remote1 »

http://radiocorazondigital.blogspot.com ... on-de.html

A piece in Spanish, Google translation below...
LEONARD COHEN ANNOUNCES THE RELEASE OF HIS NEW ALBUM "OLD IDEAS" 31 January 2012

Old Ideas, the new album of Leonard Cohen, published by Columbia Records on January 31, 2012 being the twelfth studio album on the label since 1967. The ten songs on the album is immersed in the deepest issues of human existence (the relationship with a superior being, love, sexuality, loss, death), and is possibly the most spiritual work of Canadian singer-songwriter referential . Old Ideas pathways inspires a greater sense of compassion and decency. Old Ideas and bookable http://www.LeonardCohen.com where you can also enjoy streaming from one of his songs "Show me the place". The reservation of the album carries a free download of the song. Old Ideas Recording began in January 2011 with songs and texts developed over the years. The first versions of two songs from the album (Love and Lullaby) were originally recorded in 2007 while the first versions of The Darkness sounded Llulaby and live during the last world tour Cohen, recently completed, at which hung the sign of "sold out".

The countless fans of Canadian artist and were eager to know more of the new album, especially after hearing his words during the recent delivery of the Prince of Asturias Prize for Letters, when he said: "As you get older, I understand that the rules are passed by a voice: no regrets. " And if one has to express the great loss that awaits all of us must do so within the strict canons of dignity and beauty. "Old Ideas has been produced by Patrick Leonard, Anjani Thomas, Ed Sanders and Dino Soldo. Along with Cohen, and his incomparable baritone, on the album are exceptional singers Dana Glover, Sharon Robinson, The Webb Sisters (Hattie and Charley Webb) and Jennifer Warnes. The cover design and album paintings are the work of Cohen himself. On October 21, Leonard Cohen received the Principe de Asturias Prize for Literature, 2011 at the Teatro Campoamor in Oviedo. According to the jury that awarded the prize for the majority singer, author, poet and painter, Canada, the prize has been awarded "by a literary work that has influenced three generations of the world, through an imaginary sentimental which poetry and music come together in a continuing value. The passage of time, love relationships, the mystical tradition of East and West and life-ending counted as a ballad set to a work identified a crucial turning points in the late twentieth and early twenty-first. "

And http://www2.the-burg.com/entertainment/ ... r-1586944/
But the real stunner is that Leonard Cohen, a somewhat lesser known product of the ’60s scene and an intriguingly mercurial singer/songwriter/poet/novelist, has reemerged with his first new recording in eight years. His “Old Ideas” (Columbia), out on January 31st, is my pick for an early dark horse contender in 2012, mostly because I’ve been streaming the disc’s first single, “Show Me the Place” no his website (http://www.leonardcohen.com) for the past few days.
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Canada again -
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

small snippet:
Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas (Jan. 31)

The first new Cohen album since 2004 features the 77-year-old still singing about life's beautiful losers. The album's 10 haunting tracks include such titles as "Come Healing" and "Amen." "It's arguably the most spiritual of the revered artist's records," Columbia Records recently said in a release.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”