SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
susanne30072009
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:52 am

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby susanne30072009 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Beautiful!

------------------------------------------------------
SONG IS AVAILABLE AS STREAMING AT http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/oldideas

PRODUCER AND ARRANGER is PATRICK LEONARD
BACK VOCALS by JENNIFER WARNES
VIOLIN by BELA SANTELLI

- TOM (&JARKKO)

------------------------------------------------------
Oh my oh my! The Song bring Tears in my Eyes....aftre hearing this first Tune from the new CD, I am sure: the Album will be another Landmark.
Leonard Cohen: thank you for let us be a part of your World, hear your Words! The World needs you, now more then ever!

Susanne + Uwe
1993 + 2008 Zürich / 2009 Lissabon - Madrid / 2010 Basel - Strasbourg - Stuttgart
User avatar
tomsakic
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby tomsakic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Hm, Steve, I didn't notice that and it does not bother me, but it can be the issue of Leonard's home studio recording... I did notice thought that I can clearly hear when another track layer (if that's the phrase), the one in which he will sing in a second on some songs, opens during last two albums - a millisecond before he starts singing, you can hear new layer, new recording track being opened and his breathing comes into the mix... Sometimes, like on Show me the Place, you have clear impression that the track with LC's voice is being shut down during instrumental parts as the mix is much clearer when he does not sing. But I always thought (and still tend to think) it's the quality of Leonard's old voice and vocal, not the noise-gates and processors. Also, it is known that Leonard uses the same type mic, produced in the 80s for recording, because it gives him the quality he likes to have since I'm Your Man.

I don't know for this album, he has the serious producer now, Patrick Leonard, but it could be he just worked with basic vocal tracks LC did in his garage studio. But still (although I am quite ignorant) I don't hear much noise except the one I connect to Leonard's old vocal itself.

(PS. The Future was last Leonard's album recorded in analogue and the it was post-processed into digital, ADD. Ten New Songs is first DDD, all CDs up to I'm Your Man are AAD).
User avatar
dreamermusic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Cádiz, Spain
Contact:

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby dreamermusic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I am a song writer here in Spain (though not a famous one). I have my own private studio at home
and I would say almost for sure that Len's voice has been recorded at home, as in previous times, at 3 o'clock in the morning to avoid the singing of the birds (as the very own Cohen said once).

I think from my experience of both recording at home and recording at professional studios that the trouble here ARE the noise-gates and processors, and the lack of a professional studio. It is a real pitty. Why doesn't Sony Music, the Great Tower of Song, pay a 'real' studio for the recording of Leonard's voice? The mixture of the song is not a professional one, nor the final product (the song itself).

If you try and listen to some of my home-recorded songs at www.myspace.com/danielgranado, there are no noise-gates nor 'hisses' when the vocal track begins or ends.
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
User avatar
jerry
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby jerry » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:48 pm

dreamermusic wrote:I am a song writer here in Spain (though not a famous one). I have my own private studio at home
and I would say almost for sure that Len's voice has been recorded at home, as in previous times, at 3 o'clock in the morning to avoid the singing of the birds (as the very own Cohen said once).

I think from my experience of both recording at home and recording at professional studios that the trouble here ARE the noise-gates and processors, and the lack of a professional studio. It is a real pitty. Why doesn't Sony Music, the Great Tower of Song, pay a 'real' studio for the recording of Leonard's voice? The mixture of the song is not a professional one, nor the final product (the song itself).

If you try and listen to some of my home-recorded songs at http://www.myspace.com/danielgranado, there are no noise-gates nor 'hisses' when the vocal track begins or ends.
I agree. I love the song but there is a demo like quality to it.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Citizen_Kane
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE

Postby Citizen_Kane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:50 pm

peter danielsen wrote:So who will find the chords to this great tune?
I did my best, it wasn't much... :D

I included the chords as a png-image, because the markup of forum messages does not allow specific spacing i.e. tabs

Also, I only transcribed the chords for the first two verses and the chorus, since the rest of the verses (both sung and instrumental) follow the same chord progression. However, the last two verses have a small change in them, but easy enough to figure out for yourselves! :o

Anybody using this, have fun with it and let me know how it all works out! :D
Leonard Cohen - Show Me The Place chords.png
Last edited by Citizen_Kane on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
User avatar
Joe Way
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby Joe Way » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I haven't listened to it yet. First it was because of the pre-ordering of the disc-no real objections to that, but simply a deep loyalty to the humble little record shop that is trying to survive in this digital age. I've purchased every LC recording there since "Recent Songs" including one of the few shops that had the import edition of "Various Positions." Now I'm torn because I would prefer to have the whole thing to mull over. We'll see how long I can hold out. Perhaps, I'm becoming like my Grandfather who refused to watch his beloved Chicago Cubs on television because it ruined the whole perfect experience of him sitting in his chair next to his transitor radio while sipping his beer.

Regarding the quality of the audio tracks-I seem to notice a great difference in the quality of the audio between the vinyl version of "Ten New Songs" and the cd version. It just seems much richer and vibrant. Could this play any role? I see that "Old Ideas" will be offered on vinyl.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
User avatar
jerry
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby jerry » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Because the vocals are so out front in the mix it makes it seem like there is a disconnect between the music and vocals. Like the vocals were recorded and then just pasted over the music. I hope and pray that all of this is because this is an MP3 but I doubt it.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
User avatar
tomsakic
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby tomsakic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:03 pm

jerry wrote:Because the vocals are so out front in the mix it makes it seem like there is a disconnect between the music and vocals. Like the vocals were recorded and then just pasted over the music. I hope and pray that all of this is because this is an MP3 but I doubt it.
Well, I had that impression as well I have to admit... Female vocal parts especially... That was the case before, on Dear Heather's track The Faith - but there we knew that Leonard over-recorded his voice over 1979 outtake (slower tempo version of Un Canadien Errant).

But that's part of the charm - Leonard has the money for real studio in Sony facilities, but for years he uses "demo-style" "and "home recording style" as his distinctive style...
User avatar
somewhat_nifty
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am
Location: London, UK

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby somewhat_nifty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:06 pm

--
Last edited by somewhat_nifty on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
User avatar
jerry
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby jerry » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:06 pm

tomsakic wrote:
jerry wrote:Because the vocals are so out front in the mix it makes it seem like there is a disconnect between the music and vocals. Like the vocals were recorded and then just pasted over the music. I hope and pray that all of this is because this is an MP3 but I doubt it.
Well, I had that impression as well I have to admit... Female vocal parts especially... That was the case before, on Dear Heather's track The Faith - but there we knew that Leonard over-recorded his voice over 1979 outtake (slower tempo version of Un Canadien Errant).

But that's part of the charm - Leonard has the money for real studio in Sony facilities, but for years he uses "demo-style" "and "home recording style" as his distinctive style...
It just doesn't feel organic when it's done that way. It actually feels a bit cold and sterile.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
User avatar
tomsakic
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE

Postby tomsakic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Citizen_Kane wrote:
peter danielsen wrote:So who will find the chords to this great tune?
I did my best, it wasn't much... :D

I included the chords as a png-image, because the markup of forum messages does not allow specific spacing i.e. tabs

Also, I only transcribed the chords for the first two verses and the chorus, since the rest of the verses (both sung and instrumental) follow the same chord progression. However, the last two verses have a small change in them, but easy enough to figure out for yourselves! :o

Anybody using this, have fun with it and let me know how it all works out! :D
Leonard Cohen - Show Me The Place chords.png
Our local fan and frontman of Towerofsongs tribute band Dino recorded the song by the ear yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Owl70CDhl8
User avatar
bridger15
Posts: 2068
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles - ex Toronto
Contact:

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby bridger15 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

dreamermusic wrote:I would say almost for sure that Len's voice has been recorded at home, as in previous times, at 3 o'clock in the morning to avoid the singing of the birds (as the very own Cohen said once).

...and avoid the barking of dogs, the neighbourhood dogs, not his :D

Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Citizen_Kane
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE

Postby Citizen_Kane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm

tomsakic wrote: Our local fan and frontman of Towerofsongs tribute band Dino recorded the song by the ear yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Owl70CDhl8
Ha great!! :D
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
ritibi
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: Dresden, Germany

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby ritibi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Now I heard this wonderful song and it touched my soul.
But I think that I do not understand the whole meaning of the text.
I hope or better dream to see LC once more in a life concert
(was already in Berlin, Prag 2009 and Salzburg, Hannover 2010).
And of course am waiting of the new CD.
2009: Berlin, Prag 2010: Salzburg, Hannover 2012: Berlin, Paris
John Etherington
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby John Etherington » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Leonard previews a song one day, and the next day there are at least two cover versions floating around on youtube. Thank God there was no internet when "Hallelujah" first appeared!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest