Transportion from Chicago to Madison

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

Transportion from Chicago to Madison

Post by Joe Way »

There is very good bus service between Chicago and Madison. Jarkko pointed out to me that he has booked Megabus for a very inexpensive cost. The way that Megabus works is that they sell tickets in advance and the first seats are very cheap. I just checked and you can still book a seat for $5. Here is a link:

http://us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.as ... thReturn=1

Made sure that you choose the Chicago downtown location for your departure if you are staying at the Comfort Suites and that you choose Madison U of WI-Memorial Union for the destination (as opposed to Dutch Mill Park and Ride). For the return trip from Madison to Chicago, if you are flying out of O'Hare Airport choose that destination (not Downtown Chicago).

Coach USA also provides transportation both ways quite frequently. Even if you don't book in advance, you can buy a ticket from the bus driver at the time of departure.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Re: Transportion from Chicago to Madison

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Joe ~

I'm confused, as they all are departing from Union Station, S Canal St south of Jackson Blvd. [nothing about anything other than the destination being Madison, U of Wisc, WI UW, either. Is this just the INITIAL page at which we BEGIN our search for "Downtown" and "O'Hare," if that's relevant?

Is Jarkko departing Chicago on the 2nd?

Thanks.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Sylvie, Sinikka, Eija and I booked to the 9.15 am departure on August 2. This morning the price was 5$, later $7,50 and right now it is $9 per person. So everybody book your bus trip as early as possible!
Our return ticket for Aug 7 was again just $5 (3 pm departure).
See you soon!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Are you doing the Ten Chimneys tour but not casual dinners then?
I thought our check-out in Chicago was August 1... and our room in WI was as of the night of August 1... cripes!
Now, I'm not sure WHAT's happening!
Trying to find old emails. :cry:
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How did you find the DOWNTOWN link???
I don't know what's going on.
Right now, I feel like cancelling everything.

The schedule for the Event says travel to Madison on August 1st.
Is the WI campus lodging actually not secured until the 2nd for my roommate, do you know?

And is Union Station what is considered "Downtown"?
Or do you make a secondary reservation for your pick-up point??
Have you seen O'Hare mentioned anywhere?
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Lizzy,
I'm going back to Madison on August 1st in order to be there for any early arrivals. The registration doesn't take place until the afternoon on August 2nd so anyone can still depart Chicago on August 2nd and still register that afternoon if you take an early bus. The important thing to remember is that if you are staying downtown Chicago book the bus from the Canal Street location to Madison to the University of Wisconsin-Memorial Union. If you are flying out of O'Hare, don't book a bus to downtown Chicago but to O'Hare airport.

If you are planning on touring Ten Chimneys, don't depart Madison until at least August 8th.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay, I've booked for the 9:15 bus.
When I clicked on View Details, it shows leaving downtown at 9:15, but there were two other sites listed there. The second one is in Bold, so I have no idea what I've ACTUALLY booked for. It cost $9.50 total. That's all I know. When I tried to click on the downtown [first of the three listed], I wasn't able to. So, if you LINKED us to the CORRECT one, then it's done. If not, then who knows what will happen.
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Every one of the time choices SAYS Canal Street.
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We had to adjust our schedule a bit; we will stay in Chicago until August 2, waiting Sylvie Simmons to arrive from San Francisco, and after the Event we have to leave one day earlier than the original plan. From Chicago we'll go to Bryssels, to get to Leonard's first concert in Ghent.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have one spare Megabus ticket to the 9.15 am departure on Aug 2 from Chicago to Madison. Let me know if anyone needs it. It was $8.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, dang, if I'd known, I'd have bought yours and saved myself $1.50 :lol: . Oh well.
I'm going to PM you with some additional [relevant] questions on dates/hotels.
Thanks, Jarkko.
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Apparently Megabus only travels between Downtown Chicago (Canal Street) and Madison. My point is that if you are flying out of O'Hare airport, you do not want to take Megabus from Madison to Chicago as O'Hare is a long way from Downtown. Van Galder Bus Service (Coach USA) will take you from Madison (Memorial Union) and O'Hare Airport-their fares are not as cheap as the Megabus, but at least they will get you to the right place. Here is the link for Van Galder:

http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/ss.de ... 1827118063

You can also buy tickets directly from the bus driver on Van Galder.

Joe
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

This is rather confusing, with all this discussion about advance booking Megabus etc to travel from Chicago - Madison.

Do I take it that there will NOT be a coach/bus arranged for us as a group to travel to Madison from Chicago on 1st August? Is it necessary then for each of us to arrange our own transport to Madison from Chicago, and back?

I don't mind whichever way, but would like to know, please. I haven't booked any travel yet, but was hanging on to find out if there are plans for a group bus. Joe, please?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That was my understanding, too, Sue.
Rather than taking a chance on the [individual] bus ticket prices going up, though, I went ahead and booked 2 seats [one for me and one for a woman coming from Italy] on the 9:15 AM bus on August 2nd [the same one that Jarkko's taking].
If Joe ends up arranging a bus, I just won't be taking it [and will hope for its not being cheaper ;-) ].
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Joe ~

What time in the morning do you expect to do the Ten Chimneys tour?
How long does it take?

I'm thinking that an evening flight out of Chicago might work for me.
It would cost me one day less of boarding my cats, which is going to be $70/day, so every day matters.

Thanks.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”