March/April Update

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

March/April Update

Post by Joe Way »

Dear friends,

We are working hard and finalizing the event details. It promises to be very exciting and fun for those who will be able to attend. The newest developments include booking the Klezmer band, "Yid Vicious" for the Sunday night reception and dance being held at Great Hall in Memorial Union. The band members are all big Leonard Cohen fans and are very excited about the opportunity to perform for our group.

The Thursday night, Friday and Saturday performances will be held at historic Music Hall at the foot of Bascom Hill. Music Hall was the 5th building that was built on the University campus back in the 1800's. We plan to have Ali Hughes perform her "Leonard Cohen Koans" that was a hit in New York City last September. I am working with legendary Madison guitar player, Louka Patenoude to put together some local performers to augment our nightly entertainment. More news will be coming on that front shortly.

We have reserved the "Marquee" theater at the brand new Union South on the Friday afternoon for a surprise film and maybe even some historic home movies. Everyone will still have the opportunity on Saturday morning to experience the great farmer's market on Capitol Square. Saturday afternoon will be the traditional Open Microphone session.

Sunday afternoon we are organizing a discussion with some of our knowledgable people about some of the themes in Leonard's new work. There will also be the Carillion concert featuring some of Leonard's work. Sunday will be capped off with the aforementioned reception and dance.

I have been able to secure a block of rooms at the Comfort Suites on Monday and Tuesday, July 30 & 31st for those who are interested in spending a couple of days in Chicago prior to our event. The hotel is located one-half block south of the Chicago River, two blocks north of Millenium Park and just a few blocks from the newly opened wing of the Chicago Art Institute. Rooms are available for $151 plus tax per night and include a full american breakfast, free wi-fi, and great views of the Chicago skyline. We will organize an optional Architectural boat tour and a night in one of Chicago's famous Blues clubs.

I will be opening a thread on the forum shortly to discuss this pre-event in Chicago and also a thread about the optional tours to Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio, Taliesin and a trip to Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontaines' home, "Ten Chimneys."

Space is still available for all of you who were holding off registering in anticipation of Leonard's touring. Let's all kick off the start of the Summer Fall "Old Ideas" tour by getting together first in Madison.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: March/April Update

Post by jarkko »

Dear Joe - thanks for a most interesting update. The program is getting more and more tempting!
Looking forward to a great happening with so many old and new friends (hopefully more than the present number of participants!!)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

What site do I find the information on? thanks!
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Olwen,
The registration information is on the front page of leonardcohenfiles.com

Here is a direct link: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/madison-index.html

Best regards,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Come on folks, registration is open and in full swing! You know you want to...
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sunday afternoon we are organizing a discussion with some of our knowledgable people about some of the themes in Leonard's new work.
YaY, DORON, for one!!!

I really hope that more people will opt to join us now, too... now that they KNOW they are assured to not miss a Leonard performance!

I'm really looking forward to this, and to seeing you and Anne, and Jarkko and Eija, and many others :D .

Thanks for all your hard and time-consuming work, Joe and Anne.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

You know what Jarkko and Joe, this is such a wonderful opportunity for forum members to interact. I know the concerts are another opportunity to do so, but it is always overshadowed by the/a concert itself. The concert event itself becomes an overshadowing presence to the basics of what we all appreciate about LC's work.

A meetup gives us all the potential for various insights to LC's works without the looming presence of a concert. A meetup becomes the basis of what we are searching for in the essence of LC's works and words.

The fact that we can find and enjoy each other because of our mutual appreciation for what this man has contributed to our lives is incredible. Too many times I have read where we have felt an isolation because of our appreciation of the works and words of LC.

These events give us an opportunity to reaffirm the fact that we 'got' him way before this current wave of popularity. Many of us are 'mature'. We have followed many artists, gone to many concerts, but we have learned that this man's works and words far exceed anyone or anything that is out there. I look forward to spending time with people who 'got' him before it became 'the thing to do or see'.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi Joe,

I will be in Chicago from mid - late afternoon 30 July. Thanks very much for arranging a hotel where we all can stay and meet up in Chicago before the event, which is sounding better and better. You're doing a great job for us!

You know this already, but to put it on the Forum - I am in for doing some open mike songs - better start practising! Others? Henning for sure!!?

I will book myself in to the hotel in Chicago after Easter for 30 and 31 July. Presumably you don't have to pay upfront but you pay on departure, which is usually the case with hotel bookings? Hope so anyway, as it is quite a chunk of money.

And I can't possibly be in Chicago for the first time and not go to a blues club!! Both nights if you like, I love blues almost as much as I love Lenny's music, so please count me in.

Also I plan to to do the after-event outings and will leave Madison on 7th August for Chicago.

All sounds very exciting... looking forward to it.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”