The Event Dates confirmed: August 2-5, 2012

The Madison Event - before and after
jarkko
Site Admin

The Event Dates confirmed: August 2-5, 2012

Post by jarkko »

Here we go:
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/madison-index.html

Now, in the beginning, we have posted Joe's invitation to Madison. More details, the Event logo etc. will be posted soon!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
bridger15

Re: The Event Dates confirmed: August 2-5, 2012

Post by bridger15 »

Joe & Anne:

I hope you will always post the details here on the Forum first as well as on FB.

By pure chance, I just happened to notice your Event post on the FB thread that you may be offering TALIESIN after the Event in addition to Chicago before the Event. I don't see the prospect of Taliesin posted on the Forum. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

My shout out to the screen was a super excited Oh My G_D (avoiding the "H" exclamatory out of respect to many, Marie)

Having visited Taliesin West in Arizona, I have hoped for ages to visit TALIESIN in Wisconsin.

And to gaze at the masterpieces again in the Chicago Institute of Art makes your Madison Event a spectacular happening not to missed.

The Madison Event just gets better and better.

Thank you both for all your hard work.

---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Sat May 28, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you Arlene for the reminder about the pre-event happenings in Chicago and the post-event happenings around Madison.

We would like to plan for a night or two in Chicago prior to the event where people would have the opportunity to see many of the sights. In your blog you mention the Chicago Art Institute and its famous collection of Impressionist works as well as the George Seurat painting, "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte," which is one of its most prominent works. As far as organized gatherings, I would like to do an architectural boat tour which I am told are quite spectacular. I also hope to spend one of the evenings in one of Chicago's famous blues clubs. If enough people meet in Chicago, perhaps we can charter a bus to get us to Madison for the event.

You mention Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright's home in the Wyoming Valley near Spring Green, Wisconsin. I have taken the tour and it is excellent. The American Players Theater is also located near Spring Green in a beautiful setting and is noted as one of the finest classical theaters in the U.S. When they do a casting call, they have over 5,000 actors from New York and California contacting them.

Ten Chimneys, which was the country estate of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, two of America's finest actors, has been restored and turned into a museum. I'm not sure that we will have enough time or interest to devote an organized trip there, but I've not seen it yet and I would be willing to go and take some people. I know there are others who are driving to the event so we may be able car pool.

Those of you who are considering attending should certainly allow more time before and after for these attractions.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Joe
The bus rental sounds an excellent idea to us as it is inconcievable that we would travel all that way and not visit Chicago so it would be such a bonus if there were enough people for that to happen .
The Frank Lloyd Wright connection also sounds exciting . It might even tempt Ian and Sally to jump on the plane with us as they are both architects and LC fans .
Please keep more little event goodies coming although there is more than enough to tempt me already
Phil
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How could Ian and Sally not give in to all this temptation that's so right up there alley, Phil.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The first Madisoin Event poster by Kadir!!
Photo by Lorca Cohen.

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

GORGEOUS, Kadir!
And I love the colours you chose 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

This forum has some remarkably talented people !
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I agree, that's a marvelous poster!
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

The dates are in my diary...... I'm really hoping we'll be able to make it.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

These dates are in my diary, also. Jim has friends in Beloit he'd love to see again, and I have relatives outside of Chicago, so this could be a wonderful getaway for us just one week before our wedding anniversary. As far as attending any downtown Chicago events goes, though, I lived 45 miles outside of Chicago for 28 years, so I'll pass on going downtown for any reason. Those of you who have never had the pleasure though ... enjoy and stay safe! :shock:

Grace
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Misty Marie wrote:... enjoy and stay safe! :shock:

Grace
Misty Marie
Should anyone be concerned about this statement and the fact that you are passing on the chance to visit Chicago ! Do you know something about the place the rest of us don't !
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

Yorkshire Lad wrote:Misty Marie
Should anyone be concerned about this statement and the fact that you are passing on the chance to visit Chicago ! Do you know something about the place the rest of us don't !
Chicago is just like any big city. Growing up I lived 20 miles outside of New York City, and took the bus and subway to the 1964-65 NY Worlds Fair where I worked both summers. Back then things were different, and we were young and naive.

My favorite museum in Chicago is the Museum of Science and Industry, and it's worth seeing. But it's not in a particularly safe part of town. If you go in a bus (or in cars and park in the museum lot), and stay together going to and from the museum, you'll be fine. But I'd strongly recommend not wandering around down side streets by yourself, even in daylight. Dead center downtown (State & Madison and surrounding streets), Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain and sights on the north side are much safer, but I still wouldn't walk them alone, nor would I ride the 'L' (elevated trains) anywhere in Chicago alone. Stay together and see what you want to see - preferably in daylight. Be very aware of your surroundings anywhere in Chicago especially after dark, and especially in dimly lit parking garages. Chicago is a city worth visiting, but going there (for me, at least) has ceased being 'fun' a long time ago.

Hope that helps.

MM
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Yorkshire Lad!
It is wonderful to know that you are considering this event and I'm sure that Ian and Sally would love the experience. Believe me the tours alone would be worth the trip.

I have to disagree strongly with Misty Marie. Anne & I have spent many weekends in Chicago and felt very safe. Our daughter Katie and her husband along with their little baby travel to downtown Chicago on a regular basis with no fear. They live in the Chicago area. Obviously there is always a need to take reasonable precautions where ever one travels in the world, but Chicago is certainly no more dangerous than any major European or American large city. I certainly hope that this won't discourage anyone from this excursion. Chicago is an amazing city and the sights that it has to offer are incredible.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Cohen-Chicago Connection:
Frankie Laine was born in Chicago on March 30, 1913.

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”