Madison Event-One Year Ago

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

Madison Event-One Year Ago

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Everyone,
I'm feeling very nostalgic about the event last year-it would have been the Sunday with the great Carillion concert and then the great Klezmer band, Yid Vicious at Great Hall at Memorial Union. I miss everyone and wish we were together right now.

Here is a little time lapse about Madison that those of you who were here will enjoy and may entice those of you who didn't come to visit us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cGpjARTvw

See you all in Ireland (Some this year, more next year!).

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Janie

Re: Madison Event-One Year Ago

Post by Janie »

Hi Joe,

Hard to believe it is a year ago already. Thanks for those timelapses, I recognised quite a few places and it was nice to see Madison in the snow too.

I have many great memories from the Madison Event and hardly a day passes without my thinking about it because I have a very colourful Farmers Market poster framed and in pride of place on my kitchen wall.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Regards

Jane
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Jane,
It was, indeed, a labor of love. Hope to see you when Anne & I visit Ireland both this year and next.

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ha! How ironic, Joe. The timing is sublime... and I just hadn't found the time, yet, to post a NEWSFLASH here that I heard on NPR!

I had NO idea that "The Onion" originated in Madison!
You must have been around during that time, right?

I loved listening to the segment on it, about what their thoughts for it were... and here they are, 20+[?] years later, still going strong, successful and funny as ever!

I, too, miss being in Madison with all of you.
Such a sweet, sweet town... no wonder you two are so sweet!!

Will for sure see you in 2014... hopefully, somewhere along the way, sooner.

Hugs,
Lizzy
xoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Lizzy,
Yes, thanks for the wonderful thoughts. The Onion has moved to NYC now, but will always be thought of as Madison original. It reminds me of the old "National Lampoon" who had that great issue with the cover that said, "Buy this magazine or will shoot this dog" with a picture of a puppy with a gun next to its head. It's the highest selling issue they ever had.

Anne & I leave on Monday and in addition to a get together with bunch of Dublin LC fans (and the concert)-we will spend some time in Belgium and have dinner with Eddy, Ann, Maarten & Wenche and their kids-this should be a great trip.

Anne & I were just talking tonight about how fortunate it was that we took the leap to go Hydra in 2002-it is one of the best decisions we have ever made. Though-talk about a leap of faith.

Hugs,

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh my GOSH!

It WILL be a great trip for you and Anne... and great guests for Eddy, Ann, Maarten & Wenche and their kids :)

WISH I'd gone to the Hydra Event. It was just too soon for me learning of it to try to make it happen. And I knew so few members, then, as well. Happy for you two that you got to experience it, though. A looooooong leap ;-) ~ and, oh, the changes in trajectory that it brought. Whoever would've, could've dreamed, right?

Ah, I didn't know that... no surprise, though. I guess they were doing a retrospective kind of thing on it, and maybe I missed the part about its being in New York now [or not]. Yes, the National Lampoon is a good comparison I'm sure that Madison will forever claim it with great fondness. Haaa!! The puppy schtick is funny... can understand its effectiveness with sales. That was back before gun violence and gun control are the size issues that they are now, so retrospectively, very funny.

Thanks for updating me... and enjoy your walks!

Hi to Anne, and hugs to you both,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”