Las Vegas, Friday December 10 dinner "casual get together"

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
lizzytysh

Re: Las Vegas, Friday December 10 dinner "casual get together"

Post by lizzytysh »

HA! GREAT news, Jazz :D 8) :D !!!

And, tigerm, you've either done your share of waitressing or restaurant management or are very close to one who has!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Arlene

A few requests and questions - nothing major but if you can sort the following it will be sweet

1 Will it be possible to have a craps table set up in the buffet?

2 I usually like an oriental massage around 1800 on a weekday

3 Some of the crew would like a quick snack before the show and after the sound check - can they come too

4 Can you take preorders for us

5 Can I open a Casual Get together Report thread

6 Will you be taking and posting pics of all attendees together with associated scars and tattoos

7 Can you hold a place in line for me in case the tables are hot

We discussed you positively In Vancouver tonight and the above is nothing more than a wind up (just in case anyone thinks I am serious) in return for the favour you asked - actually I will go with point 2 seriously if you can arrange it!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

by casterbridgecohen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am

Arlene

A few requests and questions - nothing major but if you can sort the following it will be sweet

1 Will it be possible to have a craps table set up in the buffet?

2 I usually like an oriental massage around 1800 on a weekday

3 Some of the crew would like a quick snack before the show and after the sound check - can they come too

4 Can you take preorders for us

5 Can I open a Casual Get together Report thread

6 Will you be taking and posting pics of all attendees together with associated scars and tattoos

7 Can you hold a place in line for me in case the tables are hot
It's all possible, the only thing you have to do is to send you credit-cart (with no limitation) to Arlene or to me. :D

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
casterbridgecohen

HI Wijbe

I found a T shirt yesterday almost as amusing as the one you wore on Hydra that I loved so much

F**k Google - Ask me

I bought one for myself at Glastonbury that I delight in wearing to Board Meetings.

I will try and email it to you

Michael
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

@Casterbridgecohen:
Can I open a Casual Get together Report thread
Yes, and please do it yesterday to pre-empt the ubiquitous Forum hijacker.
Will you be taking and posting pics of all attendees together with associated scars and tattoos
Yes of course, which leads me to ....

@Wybe: My "Wybe" little admin notebook is ready :D

My casual reponse to both of you is, thanks for the giggle. :lol:

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
tigerm

Post by tigerm »

lizzytysh wrote:
And, tigerm, you've either done your share of waitressing or restaurant management or are very close to one who has!

~ Lizzy

Actually I've never waited tables, but I have plenty of friends/clients who work in buffets/restaurants (I am an accountant). One of my clients works at the Luxor buffet and I was merely passing on her complaints with large groups i.e. avoiding the gratuity charge, taking up space etc.
These guys are on their feet 8-12 hours a day-often working for tips. So empty tables/dead space, extra walking, large groups are things that add to their already massive workload. I just see it so often, that groups of 3-50 business people avoid the gratuity, and split in to small groups of 10 and then have the server run around for 1-2 hours and then leave a $5 tip.

Also, I have been continually thwarted by long waits at buffets on weekends. Sometimes you can wait 30-60 minutes, sometimes walk in. Obviously when you are in a bigger group the waits can be longer. So obviously if you turned up at 5:30 you might have a long wait.
casterbridgecohen

Of course it can be argued that a responsible employer should pay their staff a fair wage for a fair days work and not pass on the responsability to the client.

In my occupation it would not go down well to book clients on a plane where an overworked pilot was expecting a tip to go from a - b !

I employ 45 people and pay them a fair wage but forbid our employees to solicit for tips in any way.

And I guess there should be a responsability on us to avoid places that abuse their staff.

Is minimum wage abusing staff? Thats a different debate I guess. Coal Miners are poorly paid and risk their life to provide us with power and energy via coal fuelled Power stations and I have not seen anyone going in to bat for coal miners recently - I guess because there is no interface
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi tigerm ~

Your information gleaned from your friends/clients is definitely spot on. As you know, 'tipped' positions are legally able to pay far less than minimum wage here. When I last waitressed, we were paid $2.50/hr and out of that there was the 'ghost' amount of the tips we claimed added on [theoretically] for taxing purposes, so the taxes that came out of that total amount based on $2.50/hr were FAR more than one might have been taken from the same paycheck based on $2.50 an hour, with NO tips.

When I worked in Underground Atlanta, years back, we earned NO wage whatsoever from the employer... our earnings were strictly our tips, and still had to tip the bus staff and the cooks besides.

There are SOME places where the tips are [in good times, anyway] presumed to be so substantial that the workers PAY the establishment for the privilege of working there.

This COULD even be the case in Las Vegas... so good to be sensitive to the financial situation of your server [male or female]. It could be enlightening to ask yours what base wage they're paid... [one of those "I've heard a lot of things, and I'm really curious, would you mind telling me... " situations]. In the past, I've found waiters/waitresses more than happy to share that info, as the presumption is that people will be more sympathetic and willing to tip the standard 15-20%... unless the meal is elaborate and/or the service is exquisite. People also tend to think that servers who wait on buffet diners don't do much work... in fact, it tends to be the reverse... MANY more trips to the table!! It's also possible, of course, that Caesar's pays a great wage! Never know unless you ask.

I know that YOU know all this, but not everyone who might be reading this does.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Jazz ~

How about these [just posted]:

* Report this post

Re: FIND, SELL OR TRADE TOUR 2010 TICKETS HERE

New postby BillKennedy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:47 am
I have four tickets to Las Vegas Dec. 11, 1st Mezzanine C10-C13, can't make it from Cleveland, need to sell, they cost me a total of $354.05. Respond soon to bkbillkennedy@yahoo.com so they can be mailed or overnighted from Cleveland to wherever you are.

BillKennedy

* Private message
* E-mail BillKennedy
~ Oscar Wilde
grannypoe

Post by grannypoe »

The reason I did not specify a specific place to eat for Friday and Saturday deals with the problems indicated in this thread--I spent hours on the phone and through e-mail trying to arrange separate rooms in several restaurants (including buffets) but every single venue required a credit card with a down payment; I also inquired about a convention room with catering by a Caesar's restaurant, but money up front is the only means of doing this. Sorry. I have suggested several restaurants that are close together:
Friday night--dinner at one of the following in the Forum Shops at Caesar's: Max Brenner or
Cheesecake Factory --no reservations; 1st come, 1st served
(these 2 restaurants are close to each other so large groups can meet and split up depending on lines)

or Spago's--smaller groups

or Buffet Lago and/or Bellagio

I would assume an eating time of 5 or 5:30 so that we would have time to freshen up before the show and/or get in early to purchase some goodies

This problem also holds true with the bars scattered throughout Caesar's. We are a mighty group guided by our love and admiration for Leonard--I am sure we will find each other and a bite to eat and a little nip to carry us through this monumental event
xxxxoooooxxxx
granny
margaret

Post by margaret »

granny/Patricia

We are very grateful for your efforts. It became clear as the numbers wishing to meet increased so much that it would be difficult to accommodate so many in any one place. Thank you for the tips on other eateries.
I reckon we should all wear our LC nametags each evening when out and about so we can recognise fellow Cohenites wherever we happen to eat or drink :)

see you soon,
margaret
mirka

could I get one SHORT description of Fr/Sat meet ups ?

Post by mirka »

I'm very sorry to be so disruptive, just arrived from an intense 3 weeks journey and having hard time to catch up with Forum and my life.

Where to look for nametags, and meetups Fr. eve (after 6pm), and Sat. whole day ?

I don't have any requirements (OK, just one - no smoking place, pls).

thank you for responding, and again - I'm VERY sorry for being disruptive.
mirka
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”