Heather (HeatherS) Dec. 5
Esther (mnkyface) Dec. 5
Rachel (holydove) & Bob (celtictyde) Dec.6
Steve (birminghamfan) Dec. 6
Jason (SoICanSighEternally) Dec. 6
Henry (Wirebird) Dec. 6
Francy
FanForLife

:D :D :D Who's up for dinner/drinks before the show?? Hope to hear from many of you and start a head-count here. If you're interested in a meet-up on Sunday afternoon/evening post your name to this thread and I will update in list form...

(That said, bear with me... I'm not the best person to organize this because I have major family commitments (it's my mother's 70th birthday extravaganza :roll: that week- all week- and I am only going to Dec 5 show. I hope to get there as early as possible for the meet-up but will have to play it by ear.)

Anyway, here are 2 suggestions:

Luka's Tap Room
http://www.lukasoakland.com/
Pros: walking distance to theatre, pretty large space, great food (Belgian fries!), Belgian beers on tap, bottles of wine are 50% off on Sundays
Cons: yes. and muggers... :lol: (the "walking distance" is 3 blocks in downtown Oakland). Lounge can be loud.

Heinhold's First and Last Chance Bar
http://www.heinoldsfirstandlastchance.com/
Pros: Intimate saloon on Oakland waterfront aka "Jack London Square". Cool literary/history connection- I think LC himself would enjoy this- it was Jack London's hangout and still has JL artifacts, and a tilted floor from 1906 earthquake.
Cons: Might be too small if we're a large group. No food to speak of (though there are restaurants nearby at JL Square). Not walking distance to theatre (about 1 mile...which sounds doable...but it's a difficult walk under freeway overpasses, etc...and Oakland waterfront is insanely cold.)

Comments/suggestions?
Last edited by mnkyface on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Re: Oakland meet-up?

Post by bridger15 »

Esther, thanks for opening this thread. Even though you are very busy with a family celebration, that is very thoughtful of you to come up with suggestions.

I am arriving on the afternoon of December 4 for two concerts :D and would certainly welcome getting together with kindred spirits whenever, wherever, as long as I can travel by taxi.

Thanks again.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Esther!

Thanks for starting this thread! You've got a lot on your plate....all happening at once...but it will be wonderful to see you again! I'll also only be there for the December 5th concert, however I'm arriving on the 3rd. Would LOVE to meet up with LC fans prior to the concert!

Heinhold's sounds interesting but I think Luka's might be better as there is food and it's closer to the venue, but I'm open for anything. I'll have a car so distance really doesn't matter, and I can give others a lift. Whatever the majority would like! Is parking fairly easy near the Paramount?

edit: at work now and read Luka's wonderful menu...but, also read all the info on Heinhold's and would love to experience the place! So, either is okay with me. :D

Diana
holydove

Post by holydove »

mnkyfce, thank you for starting this! We are only going to the concert on 12/6, but we will be arriving on the evening of 12/5, so we could attend meet-ups on either or both days.

I think the bar/restaurant that has food & is closer to the venue would probably be more practical/convenient; though the other one does sound very interesting; & I just remembered, we will also be renting a car - (almost forgot about that!). But, as ladydi said, then it would depend on what the parking is like. . .

Anyway, my husband & I are certainly interested in meet-ups, wherever they are, so please count us in, & thank you!!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

mnkyface wrote:*Attendee list:
Arlene
Di
Rachel
Esther
Rachel mentioned her hubby too. Name is Bob Tyd (celtictyde)

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Thanks Arlene! I have updated with forum names too. Looking forward to seeing everyone NEXT MONTH!!! :)

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am probably up for a meet at Luka's. Thanks to the manager of the hotel I was planning to stay in for a couple of nights between Honolulu and Vegas, who took pity on me and offered me a fantastic package for an extended 5 night trip, I will be staying at Fisherman's Wharf and travelling to/from the Oakland shows by a combination of BART and taxi (unless some kind person is heading back that way after the show and has a spare place in their car ....)

I am really looking forward to the shows but, as a stranger in town, I am a little bit nervous about travelling to and from Oakland at night so JL Square is probably a stretch too far for me. However, Luka's sounds ideal, being near the venue and therefore near the BART as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone in just a few short weeks!

Wendy
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Hi Wendy! Sounds like you'll have a pretty nice little SF vacation in addition to the shows. BART is great between Oakland and SF. It does stop running shortly after midnight though...

Sounds like Luka will be the place... and it is ideal. If there is great interest in Jack London and Heinhold's we could also make a quick expedition there. It really is close, by car... providing we have enough cars. (I'll have mine, which seats 5)

Parking near the Paramount is not bad, but not great either. Street parking might be possible for early arrivals, but the neighborhood is sketchy. Parking structures are one or 2 blocks away but they are plentiful. One warning- MAKE SURE YOUR PARKING STRUCTURE WILL BE OPEN AFTER THE CONCERT. Some of them close at 11, which is absurd. Your car may be trapped all night. It's happened to me. After a Leonard Cohen show. :lol:

Post by holydove »

bridger15 wrote:
mnkyface wrote: Rachel mentioned her hubby too. Name is Bob Tyd (celtictyde)
---Arlene
Arlene, thank you for remembering Bob - you are very kind!! (& you not only remember his full name & forum name, but SPELLED his last name correctly, as well - you're doing better than me!!)

Looking forward to seeing you again, & meeting some new friends too!!
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Thanks, Scott. Looking forward to meeting you!

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hi Scott

I am delighted you are able to get to Oakland and am looking forward to meeting you at last, even though it's not exactly where we expected to meet ...

Wendy
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Yay...our numbers are growing! Scott, I agree with Wendy that it will be wonderful to meet you finally! It won't be exactly a tropical beach party, but it will great for us all to get together! See you on the 5th! :D

Diana

ps: Scott...a lovely journey of remembrance.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”