Australia & New Zealand Meetups and Pilgrimages

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
dce

Australia & New Zealand Meetups and Pilgrimages

Post by dce »

By my reckoning, it's just a little over a month until LC wends his way down under to bring some of his unique charm to those of us in Australia and New Zealand.

With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for Aus and NZ forumites who are interested in pre- or post- concert meetups to begin to formulate plans. Reading about some of the big fan meetups that have been arranged in Europe and North America, I am curious as to whether similar (albeit maybe smaller scale) gatherings of Aussie and Kiwi fans might be arranged around the October/November concerts.

I would be interested to hear from those who have organised meetups elsewhere exactly how much co-ordination is required for a successful get-together of fans. I guess the main ingredient is a critical mass of forum folk who are interested and willing to meet fellow forum members -- beyond that, what's the best way to make these things work?

And for Aus and NZ forum members who are slightly interested, but not too sure about meeting complete strangers at a concert ... I know how you feel ... but having met up with a few folks from this forum during Leonard's 2009 tour, I would have to say that everyone I ran into was exceptionally friendly and really nice. And the experience of chatting with like-minded folks about the concerts (and Cohen in general) is certainly quite rewarding -- I can certainly see why the meetups in Europe have grown to become so well subscribed!

I also created this thread as a place to share plans for LC "pigrimages" by Aus or NZ forum folk ... and by that I mean fan plans to travel the dusty roads to catch multiple Cohen concerts. I am sure that I can't be the only crazy forum member who has their eyes set on seeing Leonard perform several times in Aus or NZ, across multiple cities/countries. I figure that if all of us "pilgrims" share our intentions, this will have the dual effect of helping organize meetups, and making all of us feel less sad obsessive about our innocent stalking of LC and his band.

Well, that's the hope anyway ... :)

dce
Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
dce

Re: Australia & New Zealand Meetups and Pilgrimages

Post by dce »

I suppose to get the ball rolling on the sad and obsessive front, I should fess up about my plans for a LC "pilgrimage" of NZ and Oz.

Those who I ran into in 2009 and readers of my concert reports from that tour may recall that I had the good fortune to see Leonard and band something like 8 times during that incredible tour. That was all as part of a somewhat hectic holiday with my gf which stretched up and down Australia's eastern seaboard.

This time around, work is such that no holiday is possible ... but I have been able to juggle life, work and (meagre) bank balance enough to contemplate a travel plan that is slightly more ambitious again. While I won't be at every single show ... that would be just ridiculous ... my current plans do have me seeing LC play every venue except one (Christchurch). It's a pretty hectic schedule, involving a lot of travel -- but I'm hoping that the hassle of living out of a suitcase for the better part of a month will be more than offset by the joy of regular fixes of live Leonard.

dce
Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

dce wrote:my current plans do have me seeing LC play every venue except one (Christchurch). It's a pretty hectic schedule, involving a lot of travel -- but I'm hoping that the hassle of living out of a suitcase for the better part of a month will be more than offset by the joy of regular fixes of live Leonard.

dce
Dean (from Adelaide)

Good for you! I hope the travel plans work out perfectly for you.

Wendy
Fontana

Post by Fontana »

I thought I would add this information here for those who have subscribed to this thread.

Cohen to sing @ Hanging Rock, Victoria Australia *Confirmed*

Ticketsto Leonard Cohen at Hanging Rock with very special guests Paul Kelly, Clare Bowditch and Dan Sultan
go on sale on Monday 4 October from 9am.

FOR ALL INFO:
http://www.frontiertouring.com/hangingrockFontana

PRE-SALE TICKETS VIA FRONTIERTOURING.COM WED 29 SEP NOON AEST - THU 30 SEP NOON AEST

(You must register ^ at the above website to be eligible to purchase the pre-sale tickets)
dce

Post by dce »

Wow ... the Hanging Rock show sounds like it will be quite a memorable event, reminiscent of the Day On The Green shows last year (which were probably the best concerts of the tour).

How can I resist nabbing a couple of pre-sales to this ...

Aiee, my poor bank balance :D

dce
Dean (from Adelaide)

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”