Honolulu Meetups (LOTB) Q & A etc

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Re: Honolulu Meetups (LOTB) Q & A etc

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hi Scott

Thanks for opening this thread. I got as far as booking a ticket for the show but I'm still working on the logisitics of how I can get there. I'm hoping your beach party is going to be in Waikiki and go on in to the wee small hours as my journey London-Las Vegas-LA-Honolulu currently has me arriving on the island at around midnight on December 3 .....

Still, where there's a will there's a way (I hope!)

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Alternative route from Europe: to Los Angeles or San Francisco with BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Air France etc. Then LA/SFO - Honolulu - Las Vegas with Hawaiian Air. Back from LV to LA/SFO with Southwest.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jarkko wrote:Alternative route from Europe: to Los Angeles or San Francisco with BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Air France etc. Then LA/SFO - Honolulu - Las Vegas with Hawaiian Air. Back from LV to LA/SFO with Southwest.
Depends on whether Virgin will let me change the routing of my existing booking from LV to LA .....

Also Hawaiian Air is not available to me as they do not accept UK registered credit cards (must be US, Canada or Australia). Shame because they have a direct flight from Vegas which would suit me perfectly from a time point of view.

Wendy

***Hawaiian Air: try to find an American member willing to help and let you pay with his/her card. Then you can refund immediately through PayPal. / Jarkko***
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Scott

Assuming I crack the flights problem, I would appreciate your advice & other people's thoughts on whether I should rent a car in Honolulu. Is it possible/ feasible to get around and see the island using bus tours & public transport?

I don't mind driving "on the wrong side" if I have to but I would prefer to avoid it if I can, especially as I will be suffering from a whole year's worth of jet lag on a single trip having only just returned home from Australia!

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

Re: car rentals
My husband was working off and on in Kauai the last 2 years so whenever I would visit him I used this site and found their prices very reasonable.
I always picked up the cars at the airport.
http://www.carrentalinhawaii.com/
Usually Thrifty or Budget have good prices.
Wish I could be there with you all...
Mutti/Leslie ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Scott

Assuming I crack the flights problem, I would appreciate your advice & other people's thoughts on whether I should rent a car in Honolulu. Is it possible/ feasible to get around and see the island using bus tours & public transport?

I don't mind driving "on the wrong side" if I have to but I would prefer to avoid it if I can, especially as I will be suffering from a whole year's worth of jet lag on a single trip having only just returned home from Australia!

Wendy
It depends on how long you will be here and what you want to do other than the show.

*If you will be here for only 3 or 4 days, plan on staying in a Waikiki hotel, want to sit on Waikiki beaches but also want to see Oahu a bit, then don't bother with a car. A tour will suit you fine.

*If you want to see as much as possible all over the island then by all means rent a car. The public buses here take forever and it can be a huge pain to go around the island trying to stop and see things, then get back on the next bus. Unless you have tons of time stay away from the public buses except for specific jaunts.

I can put you in contact with a great smaller tour (25 person bus) or a semi-personal tour (around 3-10 people) in a van. Also a bigger tour (large bus 50 people) but they aren't able to stop at all the little places the smaller tours can.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

Great initiative with the meetup and pre-concert gathering! I look forward to seeing you all on the beach (and of course at the concert).
Henry
85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”