Portland Concertgoers

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
goaskaliceok

Re: Portland Concertgoers

Post by goaskaliceok »

Arlene,
I'll answer for Willietattoos since she's busy looking at hotels. :)
I'm there around the 1:16/1:17 mark with a gentleman whose name I have forgotten, and we are on the far right around 1:26.
Nice slideshow, btw~~~brings back a lot of good memories.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

goaskaliceok wrote:Arlene,
I'll answer for Willietattoos since she's busy looking at hotels. :)
I'm there around the 1:16/1:17 mark with a gentleman whose name I have forgotten, and we are on the far right around 1:26.
Nice slideshow, btw~~~brings back a lot of good memories.
Of course, Willie... and goask...I remember you both. :D
The Nashville concert was one of my favourites. Outstanding!
Looking forward to seeing you both in Portland.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Willietattoos

Post by Willietattoos »

Yes Arlene, I'm at 1:25, on the far right, wearing a Peace Sign scarf.
oops, just saw Alice's response.
TheGhost

Post by TheGhost »

mutti wrote:I heard that the light rail is free within the downtown limits
and at some of the hotels you can get on within a few minutes walk and get off right at the concert area.
Its a very eco friendly city.
Where are you coming from Mr. Ghost?
Mutti ;-)
Mutti-
I'm just coming down from Seattle. I was prepared to fly to Vegas or someplace else on the west coast but was obviously thrilled when they announced a Portland show. So excited!
dancer

Post by dancer »

I have been registered on this site for some time and will be attending my third concert. Victoria, San Jose and now Portland. I will be driving down from Victoria with a friend. Last year I went to San Jose and stayed at the Fairmont. I went down to the lounge after the concert and saw all these people wearing lanyards and I asked two ladies from Germany what that was all about and they told me they were members of this forum. ......so now I am wondering if the Portland forum members will have anything organised in Portland?.....It would be nice to meet and chat some of you from all over the world.

I watched " Songs from the Road" and it is an wonderful DVD. I am really looking forward to Portland. Haven't booked a room yet but I am working on that too. I will watch these posts to see where peolpe plan to stay. Portland is a great city. I went there two years ago and stayed at the Vintage Plaza Hotel and had a great time.

I have two tickets but I am not sure where they on the seating chart. They are:
P3 100 Level section 102 Row N seats 1-2

I saw Lenoard at the end of his "The Future" tour in 1993. To my knowledge, his last concert on that tour was here in Victoria. He played for four hours that night and was awesome. I still have the Concert book. I have been telling friends for years that that was the best concert I had ever attended so when he came back on tour I had to see him again and his recent concerts have been spellbinding.

Of course if you are on this site, I don't have to convince anyone here of those sentiments.....I am speaking to the converted. Hope to catch up with some of you in Portland.
Bob
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Hi Dancer (BOB),

I'm certain us forum Cohenites will get something set up to get together before and after the concert.

I too was there in SAn Jose (and had a Lanyard) for the pre/post concert get togethers and the concert as well.

So far I know of one person staying at the Red Lion and I am staying at the Crowne Plaza. Keep posted to this thread (or future thread) about a Portland get together.

Even if its only a handful of people, we can still get together.
aussie19

Post by aussie19 »

to the "ghost"
I am a newbie to the forum and so glad I found it
This is my 1st Leonard Cohen concert, just decided to do it
quickly before panic set in. I'll be travelling solo from seattle

Got P3 100 sect 122 row G seat 1 Hope it's good seat, hard to tell
looking forward to meeting forum members
Bye for now
Elaine
Last edited by aussie19 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
aussie19

Post by aussie19 »

Hi to the ghost
Noticed you are going down to portland from Seattle
Are you going by plane or train or driving?
I live just east of Seattle and have been weighing
my options. Dec. can be a problem weather wise for driving.
I did leave a post a couple of days ago , still trying to find my way
around this forum. I'm soooo new to this.
here it is Sat the 25th, still thinking about Las Vegas
$$$$ an issue. How can I even think that---this may be it
for Leonard Cohen concerts.
Looking at hotels also any ideas?
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Food for thought for anyone travelling from Ireland to the Las Vegas concerts.

Got my ticket for Las Vegas. Was about to book my flights (either dub or snn to Las Vegas) when I checked out a different route snn or dub to Portland to Las Vegas to snn or dub - and guess what - it works out about 100 euro cheaper !!! so i am taking the long way around, and fitting in the Portland concert as well. And almost saving money in the process....

If anybody wants more details let me know. 
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Hotels in Portland ?????

Any recommendations? I have gone through trip advisor and nothing stands out. I want to stay down town, not in the outskirts.

Thanks.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
caripdx

Post by caripdx »

There are hotels in the Rose Quarter/Lloyd Center area and in downtown Portland that are close to the Rose Garden and within walking distance of the light rail line (MAX) - Google has a good list for both areas. Several nearby hotels have been mentioned already in the Portland Concertgoers posts. MAX is free in the downtown area (including downtown Portland and Lloyd Center). Also you can take MAX from the airport (not free but easy) - the website has been posted already but here goes again - www.trimet.org. Glad you are making the trip.
Willietattoos

Post by Willietattoos »

Alice and I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza. I looked at a lot of the Portland hotels, and this one seemed the most convenient with airport transportation, transportation to the venue, transportation within a 5 mile radius, and I understand it's near the light rail system, too.

I'm EXCITED!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I thought I would offer this as a suggestion for a dinner meet-up on concert night. The Rose Quarter Arena has restaurants on site. So we could have a leisurely dinner at their BrewPub, and not have to rush to get to the concert. Also, those not able to join us for the dinner could still wander in closer to show time and say hello. I left a message with their Food Services describing the event, date and what we would like to do. Their answering message indicates they take reservations. I will report back when I know more. Does this appeal to anyone else?
--- Arlene

http://www.rosequarter.com/OvationsFood ... fault.aspx
Restaurants On Site
Pyramid Taproom At Schonley's Place

A tribute to our famous voice of the Trail Blazers, Bill Schonely. This new 240-seat brewpub opens to the general public 2 hours prior to tipoff and remains open until the postgame party dies down. Get here early to be seated and enjoy your meal in style while anticipating the excitement of a “RIP CITY” win. Take in the pregame show on one of our 22 flat-screen HDTV’s or enjoy a Pyramid Hefeweizen at one of the two giant circular bars which open out to the concourse. ,Schonely’s Place is located on the west side of the 100-level concourse outside of section 101, and can be accessed pregame by the doors to the west of the arena.

Menu coming soon!

About Pyramid Breweries Inc.

Pyramid Breweries Inc. is one of premier and original Northwest brewers of specialty, full-flavored beers produced under the Pyramid and MacTarnahan's brand names. Pyramid's family of unfiltered wheat beers and MacTarnahan's fine ales continue to be honored by beer drinkers and judges, earning the most craft beer medals in the last decade at the prestigious Great American Beer Festival (GABF). Since its beginning, Pyramid and MacTarnahan's beers have received a total of 34 medals at the GABF. The brewery has also received a total of 9 medals in international competition at the World Beer Cup. The Company operates three breweries located in Portland, Seattle and Berkeley, California. It also operates five alehouse restaurants in the Northwest and California, including the MacTarnahan's Taproom at 2730 NW 31st in Portland. More information about the company and its beers is available at http://www.pyramidbrew.com and http://www.macsbeers.com.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Willietattoos

Post by Willietattoos »

Arlene, that sounds like a great plan! I believe you may count me & Alice IN! Thanks for doing all that research!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Arlene thanks for arranging this!
Natyam and I will drop in to say hello before the show but won't make it for dinner.
Thanks
Mutti/Leslie ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”