Ghent meetups (Friday, Saturday and Sunday!)

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
Maarten

Ghent meetups (Friday, Saturday and Sunday!)

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
As I already announced in the nametags thread, there will be meetups in Ghent before and after each concert. I have agreed with "De Gruut" (http://www.gruut.be/) to have our meetups there because it is close to the venue and in between the venue and the old city center. Meetups will be on each day of the concerts from 3pm upto 6pm and after the concert from 11.30pm to ... Of course you don't have to be at the meetup all the time, feel free to join us whenever you want for how long you want (but the more the merrier!).

Keep in mind that the concerts will take place at the St-Peter's Square which is an open air venue and that their will (most probably) be soundchecks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I guess most of us would like to go and hear (and see) these soundchecks (I've been told that anyone will be able to see the soundchecks because they will not close down the Square completely). I haven't got the exact timing for the soundchecks yet, but if I find out I will let you know. We could all arrange to go there together from De Gruut and back to De Gruut afterwards because the walk only takes about 10 minutes at the most (it's only 750 meters away - about half a mile).

De Gruut:
Grote Huidevettershoek 10
9000 Gent
09 233 68 21
(located at the end/corner of the street, right opposite the river)

Here's a little map (click to enlarge):
- A = St-Peter's Square where the concerts are
- B = De Gruut (place for the meetups)
- C = the old city center
Map of Ghent for meetups, concert and old city center
Map of Ghent for meetups, concert and old city center
All are about 750 meters apart, so it's 1,5km from the St-Peter's Square to the old town center.

Nametags can be picked up either at one of the meetups or -if you fail to catch me there- before the concert right in front of the stage (I'm sitting in the first row golden circle). Please try to pay cash (3 EUR per nametag) with exact change if possible.

Hoping to see lots of familiar faces soon, aswell as some new ones of course!

Finally some figures:
40 people have let me know they will be at the meetups on Friday.
37 will be joining us on Saturday and
24 will be at De Gruut on Sunday!

See you soon,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Re: Ghent meetups (Friday, Saturday and Sunday!)

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Maarten

Thank you so much for organising this. See you soon!

Wendy (and the incognito Tony)
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Thanks for making all the arrangements Maarten! Mark and I will be there on Saturday. Hoping for better weather than we've got in UK at the moment, but shall be taking my famous blue raincoat just in case.......

Our first concert since Nashville - can't wait!

Regards,
Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
kyla

Post by kyla »

Hi there,

i will be there for meet up with friend.

cannot wait just having seen him in Lissadel. Mesmorising.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Would love to be there Maarten with all of you and for all the outdoor soundchecks...lucky you guys!
I will be in spirit but not body....
Enjoy!
Leslie (Mutti) 8) ;-) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

hi maarten

thanks for all kind things, see you soon

pe
... precisely ...
kyla

Post by kyla »

does anyone have directions , i will be flying to Brussels , i guess there is a train to Ghent?
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

kyla wrote:does anyone have directions , i will be flying to Brussels , i guess there is a train to Ghent?
To find out more about trains from the national airport to Ghent, go to the official Belgian railway website:
http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/
Make a search from "Brussel-Nat-luchthaven" (national airport) to "Gent St Pieters"

It takes approx 1hr or 1.5hrs depending on which connection and trains you take. There are direct trains or you can travel with 1 change of trains (in Brussels-North, I think)

See you there,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

i´ll arrive six o´clock at the railwaystation,please give me a call around seven to know were i find you and :razz: my ticket dearest maaaaarten
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

oblivion wrote:i´ll arrive six o´clock at the railwaystation,please give me a call around seven to know were i find you and :razz: my ticket dearest maaaaarten
OK !

Maarten

BloodBrother

Post by BloodBrother »

Any idea of where is Leonard going to stay?
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi Maarten et al,

Only just been able to access the internet, still travelling around Europe after Cracow. Can't remember if I confirmed I will be at Sunday meet up or not, but in case I didn't, I should be!

Inne, I will see you there with your package, and Monique and Antoine, sorry I have lost your email address, so I will see you at the meet up at de Gruut.

Been thinking of those of you who have already seen Leonard last night and will tonight. I hardly need to tell you to enjoy!! Really looking forward to Sunday! And the women tear their blouses off and the men they dance on the polka dots...

Suemerlyn
Winterblossom

Post by Winterblossom »

Hello Maarten,
If I have "to kill some time" , we will be there on Sunday. Don't know when I'll arrive in Ghent. It's my first time EVER I'll drive to Ghent by car...without a GPS ...so I can't predict how many times I will get lost :lol:
I'll leave my home in time...
P.S.: My mother in law sent me the article about you that was in Gazet van Antwerpen on Wednesday. She sends me anything with the name Cohen in it :razz: So now I can add a face to your name, that's nice! And maybe I will recognize you , because I'm in the very front row too, just like you. I will be in section C.
I came so far for beauty, I left so much behind...
1985 Brussels-1988 Antwerp-2008 Bruges and Brussels-2009 Antwerp-2010 Ghent (2x)-2012 Ghent (2x)-2013 Antwerp

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”