Zagreb July 25: meet-up, tribute concert, exhibition, press

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Meetups before and after the concerts
tomsakic

Re: Zagreb July 25: meet-up, tribute concert, exhibition, press

Post by tomsakic »

Croatian edition of Book of Mercy was published yesterday, so its translator Maja Tancik will join Damir Sodan, poet and translator of Book of Longing, tonight on our meet-up at the Stone Gate's LAV gallery, in our talk about LC's books in Croatian prior to the tribute concert.
Attachments
20100724_07.JPG
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Paul,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so very glad you got to meet him!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Great story Paul, thanks for sharing.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
golwoman

Post by golwoman »

I started to write about what has happened to me 45 minutes ago but I really do not want to share it because than maybe magic of that moment would disappear...but I do want to tell you:
go to the concert and enjoy one of the best times in your lives!
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Some pictures from Everybody Knows 3 at Cafe Gallery Lav in Zagreb ... a great evening with new and old forum friends, Tower of Songs, Tom Sakic presenting translations of Cohen, and later after, as Tom said, running through 33 songs in an empty Zagreb Arena, Sharon Robinson, Hattie and Charley Webb and Roscoe Beck came to join in the party. Thanks Tom, Juraj, Jurica and others for a great evening. The only hint from the Webb sisters, in between charming my children so much, is that they have been rehearsing some new songs!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =818237969

It just keeps getting better!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Back home, 1.45 am! Thanks Sharon, Charley, Hattie and Roscoe! Wonderful evening, extremely wonderfull:) Pics and reporrts and stories to follow. All foreign and local Forum members were there, plus many local fans. In addition, two Leonard's translators and two of his Croatian publishers were also there:) Plus our local band, plus the world's best Leonard Cohen YouTube'r!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Some pics.
Attachments
everybody 3.JPG
everybody 4.JPG
everybody 2.JPG
everybody 1.JPG
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

More photos.
Attachments
luka i charley.JPG
hattie.JPG
2.JPG
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

More photos from my camera.
Attachments
dino i marko.JPG
albert i paul.JPG
jasmina/r

Post by jasmina/r »

it was unforgettable evening with friends
PandaElijah

Post by PandaElijah »

Pics + Judging by the latest twitter updated by Sharon Robinson, you did have a fantastic meet and great after all! :) Lovely!

sharonrobinsong: A lovely evening in Zagreb with fans and scholars, and a rose with my breakfast. I must be doing something right.
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hi Tom, croatian and not croatian cohenites (saw Ken and others on the pics) ;-) ,
thanks for sharing your happy moments with us in the forum, so also the not Facebook people (like us ) can see them.
I can see you all very happy and having been in Zagreb in March with you and the cohenites for the "non-concert weekend", now I can really imagine the places ,the streets , the Galery Cafè, the bookshops etc, so we are also present ;-)
Have a good concert night , and see you in Salzburg :-)
Grazie,
Andrea and Marco
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Paul Zagreb wrote:Hi everyone

Those on facebook will already know that last night I met Leonard briefly. Here is the photo:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... 5977782969

The story behind it is that after a rotten day (no electricity at work in the afternoon, netbook computer breaking so I could not really work at home) the whole family and my friend Domagoj went for dinner at a local restaurant (the one jarkko, ken, tom, juraj, jurica and others went to the first evening in Zagreb in March!). Great meal but the evening got worse as Luka got stung by a wasp and went home. Then on my blackberry was the latest twitter update from the road crew showing Leonard clearly celebrating Ryan Patrick Murphy's birthday 'in the pub' which we instantly recognised as the bar of the hotel they were all staying in. Sort of 'it's now or never' feeling meant that Domagoj and I got a taxi to the hotel. Driven up to the entrance and one of the porters opened the door for us. As we get in, there is really no one around in the bar but then Leonard comes out of the gents WC!!! "Leonard Cohen" I say more in surprise than courage. The rest sort of flies by like a fast movie. I remember trying to explain that I had seen on twitter that he was around, that I knew Tom, that the whole family would be at the show on Sunday, that I was so sorry my son was not here to meet him. He was - I dunno - calming, happy, interested in the twitter thing but admitting he didn't really understand all that technology, and saying he needed to look at the menu. Did I think they would still be serving dinner (it was 930pm). Yes, for you, for sure, I replied. I remember him liking what was on the menu. And then I said something like I really don't want to bother you but if Domagoj could take a photo of the two of us, I would be so happy. "Sure, man, no problem" was the reply. I asked how he was doing with jet lag and he said something like it was still there but he was getting through it. Then he said "I must find my daughter". "Oh, Lorca is with you?" I said. "Yes" he said and then led us to where Lorca and Sharon Robinson were sitting. I spoke briefly with Sharon. "I met you in Berlin" I said. "Oh, right, then nice to meet you AGAIN" she said gracefully! I mentioned to Sharon that we hoped to see her at the tribute event Saturday evening and she said she hoped to be there too but did not know the timetable. I wished them bon appetit and a great concert and we left! On the way out, all I could think of was I hope I didn't bother them but it was such a nice experience and so - I dunno - ordinary in its extraordinariness. It was nice the next hour and a half at one of the famous pubs in the centre of Zagreb with Domagoj saying: this is my friend Paul, he's a British sociologist, he's lived in Zagreb 15 years, and we just met Leonard Cohen!!!!!

Anyway, I look forward to tonight and to the concert tomorrow and - most of all - to seeing old and new forum friends!

Thanks for listening!

Paul
Wotcha Paul me old mucker, long time no chat... nice anecdote - thanks for sharing, lepo se provedi večeras!
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Thanks Tom for arranging the meet-up. The Tower of Song tribute concert was a very nice warming up for the next day. I'm so sorry I left too early and missed Sharon and the band...
But my true love got its reward Monday morning when I met Leonard. He was very friendly and when I told him I'd follow him to Salzburg and Graz he didn't called me crazy but said "It's very kind of you" :) He gave me an autograph (I had my Book of Longong with me) and Raphael took a picture of us. My legs were shaking and I forgot everything I planned to tell him but it was one of the happiest moment of my life, even if the photo came out blurry. (After some Photoshopping and shrinking it became recognizable, at least :D)
I uploaded my photos to Picasa: http://picasaweb.google.hu/117145477644 ... 2010Zagreb#
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Majmunka,

You are indeed one of the fortunate. I am so glad that you had the opportunity to meet LC! What a lovely, lovely photo.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The World Tour 2010 Meetups”