Where has he been all my life?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Hello, I'm a new Leonard fan and new to this forum. I came to know him in an offbeat way... was watching a YouTube video about Bridges of Madison County (a favorite movie) with clips set to My Secret Life. I heard the voice and was immediately taken with it. The defining moment was the amazing inflection he puts on the word "old" at around 2:56 in the song. (I fixate on stuff like that. lol) Of course at this point I had no idea what he looked like so searched under his name...the first video that came up was Hallelujah (German TV). One look... I was a goner. And here I am. I cannot believe I have missed out on this wonderful aritst all these years. I know nothing except the 12 or so YouTube videos (I know, I really need to get some CDs) I have watched over, and over, and what I have read about him here. I'm looking forward to learning more and chatting with you all.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Re: Where has he been all my life?

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Greetings, Mnkyface :D !

Yours are the kind of postings I dearly love... the clarity of Leonard's touching still another being. I'm looking forward to you sharing your reactions to Leonard and his words, voice, and music, as you go. Chat away...
The defining moment was the amazing inflection he puts on the word "old" at around 2:56 in the song.
There are many more moments awaiting you.

You've made a great life discovery... sustaining and abiding.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Manna

Post by Manna » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:54 pm

greetings, Mnky.
The answer to your question depends on how long you've been alive. Leonard has been all over the globe, though perhaps not in your lifetime, depending.

Sorry for being predictable. ;-)
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 am

The question was a rhetorical one. More like... where have *I* been, unaware of him all these years? Ah well, better late than never, I suppose. Sure wish I could have seen him tour.

Does anyone know the last time he played the San Francisco area? Just curious.

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 am

Tom Sakic or Jarkko could give you an answer to that question, Mnkyface. However, you'll be happy to know that it's rumoured that Leonard will be touring in 2008 with his upcoming album, so you haven't lost your chance to watch him perform Live.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Davido

Post by Davido » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 am

Leonard last toured in 1993,with June & July in North America.He played the Warfield Theatre,San Francisco on July 3rd 1993.He went on to Los Angeles and San Diego.
(He ended this tour in Victoria,British Columbia,Canada on 30th July 1993).
He may tour again next summer,let's hope so.
Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 am

Thank you Davido. The Warfield is a wonderful venue... I'm sure Leonard was divine there. Glad to hear he may tour again in '08.

I just got my first 2 LC CDs in the mail... woohoo!

Post by st theresa » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm

mnkyface

Welcome Welcome. Your note took me back to 1969 (or thereabouts) and my first time hearing Leonard. It was love at first listen..Hope one of your cd's has Bird on a Wire. I laughed and laughed -I almost cried.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Did someone call...?

What CD's did you get mkny?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:55 am

Welcome, Mnkyface!

Leonard was just at Stanford University in October for a conversation with Philip Glass. Anjani, his girlfried who has set a number of poems to song for her CD, Blue Alert, was at Cafe Du Nord earlier (or perhaps) last year.

I've seen Leonard twice in person, but have not heard him sing in person. Speaking comes close :)
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Interesting about the Stanford, Baldwyn. I am keen on Philip Glass too (especially his work with David Bowie) so I am sorry to have missed THAT too. *grumble*

As for the CDs...Essentials and "More Best of". Trying to decide what to buy next...

Random but delightful (for me) note: I share his sister's first name :)

Post by Baldwyn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:42 am

Well, welcome, Esther! You're fortunate that they have recently re-released Leonard's first three albums with new material. My first Cohen album was the Essential, which will eventually be rendered redundant as I try to fill in the holes. If you latch on to certain pieces on Essential, I'd suggest picking up the album to explore that time period (or Death of a Ladies Man when you're ready, which is completely unrepresented on that collection). For less redundancy, Cohen Live, and Field Commander Cohen are excellent. Oh and, of course, Dear Heather!

My favourite is The Future.

Do keep an eye on this place! I've sometimes wandered away, and come back to find I missed out on autographed Books of Longing, almost missed out on his appearance at Stanford as well!
dick

Post by dick » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Welcome Esther!

You indeed have much enjoyment ahead. I didn't really "find" Cohen until the movie, "Natural Born Killers" and felt then as your title to this thread. Be prepared for one disappointment however..... as you speak with acquaintances, you will be shocked how many there are who have not yet connected with Leonard's works. Hopefully this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame selection will close that gap some.

You might enjoy renting or buying the movie, "Leonard Cohen, I'm Your Man" for a survey of many of his songs, albeit covered by others. The interviews are also wonderful as a means for getting to know him.

Also pay attention to the all the gatherings of Cohen fans... they have become a very essential part of our (my wife Linda and me) lives. Do keep us informed here of your discovery as it unfolds. Although my "favorite" cd changes frequently, I still can never get enough of "The Future."

I will pass on your name "delight" to Esther Cohen!

Dick
Mark A. Murphy

Post by Mark A. Murphy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:09 am

Hi Esther, the first LC LP I bought was Songs Of Leonard Cohen, then Songs From A Room, then Songs Of Love And Hate, the first three LP's released in that order. I think it would be beneficial for you to start at the beginning and work your way through the albums. Look out for his novels and poetry books too. You have a whole new world to gain!
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath

Return to “Comments & Questions”