Getting a Handle on Each Other

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
margaret

handles

Post by margaret » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:12 am

linmag.
I also used to get addressed as the full "margaret" by my parents when I had done something wrong. These days whenever my husband uses this instead of a shorter version I immediately think "oh sh... what have I done to upset him" I don't mind being called several variations of my name but I do draw the line at Maggie which brings to mind a certain politician.

lizzytysh,
the unseen nickname had something to do with seeing the world, as my other obsession is travel, which certainly broadens the mind, as long as it is not done cossetted in 4 or 5 star purpose- built tourist traps. If I find out how to change the name and password without having to re- register as a new member I may reveal it one day.

your phrase being "so British" struck a chord. Over the centuries our small group of islands has been conquered or invaded and settled in by many other peoples including the Romans, Vikings, Normans etc. It would be hard to find anyone who does not have mixed genes. We have a lot in common with most Americans, whose ancesters have also come originally from other lands. On my mothers side I had Scottish and Irish grandparents with some Spanish mixed with the Irish, from the time when sailors from the Spanish Armada never returned to Spain and married Irish girls. As far as I know my fathers family were "English", whatever that means! I reckon all of us are part of the same family.

john the shorts,
"split personality" hmm. does being born under the star sign Gemini have a connection here I wonder. I can certainly be quite moody.

sarongs or kaftans can be quite cool alternatives

Margaret, or Marg, Margie, Marje, Madge .............
Partisan

Post by Partisan » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:44 am

Paula, did i catch a reference to a cunning linguist? Shame on you :)

p.
linmag

Post by linmag » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:22 am

Spot on, John :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:45 am

LOL ~ geesh, forgot about that, Linmag....honest, Margaret, wasn't trying to pick the lock :shock: . If you're able to switch out passwords at some point, yes, I'd be interested to know it. No rush. Couldn't agree with you more on the multi-star tourist traps.....conversations have actually unfolded like this. Me: "So where'd you go and what'd you see?" Them: "I don't know. We never left the hotel." :? :(

I didn't realize that Britain/England was so intermingled. Of course, the British reference was akin to Byron's explanation of the more understated, quiet ways of the British [the small areas, not yelling, etc.] ~ and I was thinking "proper" when I said it, a full name rather than a nick.

Jurica ~ some of those grandmothers will just do their own thing, no matter what anyone tells them, eh? If it's any consolation from the "sound" and "look" end of it, what you ended up with is much nicer on both counts.

Hmm....Celtic, huh, John T.S.? or T.S. John? I like that idea, so would ss's make it more Celtic?

~ Lissytysh [hmmmmm :? ]
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:12 pm

Partisan I have been stitched up. JTS made reference to being cunning etc and he has since deleted the post and my post now looks like it has come from Readers Wives :oops:

Unless JTS returns to retype his post I will have to delete mine. Was it because I mentioned the Millwall tattoo JTS.

:oops: Partisan I have found the thread in "users who rarely or never post" I have obviously responded in the wrong thread.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:52 am

So, what's in a name? (Better late than never!)

Well, the Andrew is pretty obvious; the Darby is, I guess, somewhat ambiguous. Some have assumed it is my surname, which is fairly close to the mark, as 'Darby' was my nickname at High School and is in fact just a contraction of my surname.

Cheers
Andrew (or 'Darby') :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:17 am

Oh! Well, that's good to know.....so, does that mean if I address you, or you me, it can be done with simply Darby? Then, I can be assured [at least relatively :? ] of not mixing up my Andrews :shock:. So your surname is.......?
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:56 pm

Lizzytysh, you are welcome to call me 'Darby' if that avoids confusion for you :wink: - it may even fool me into thinking I'm back at my High School age again and perhaps that's the subconscious reason for adopting it again at this late stage!:lol:

My surname is Darbyshire (though my paternal ancestors hail from Lancashire).

Cheers
Andrew ('Darby')
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:24 pm

What a great surname! Is it intended to sound like a quaint village where one might feel content to live out the remainder of their life?
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:36 pm

Paula

The post where I decry my own linguistic ability and praise myself as cunning :wink: is on another thread Users who rarely post it is on page 2. ( viewtopic.php?t=829&start=15 )

I'm still not sure about the tattoo(s) I couldn't do the lion bit (That is Millwal isn't it?) I'd have to go for a Wizard (Aberavon RFC) and a Bluebird (Cardiff City) and then add in the Daffodil on my Glamorgan sun hat, the hawaian shirt, khaki shorts and black docs and it sounds like the type of attire that would get me ejected from most clubs in the country.

JTS (Fashion Sense - Nil Points)
altinkum

Post by altinkum » Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:46 pm

:lol: Thanks for the laughs folks. I took my name from a resort in Turkey which I been to many times, it means golden sands. I use it on a few different sites unfortunately many people take me for Turkish which has led to some confusion!
Altinkum

P.S John the shorts many daffodils to you from a compatriot
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:18 am

Pob Hwyl, Altinkum
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:27 am

lizzytysh wrote:What a great surname! Is it intended to sound like a quaint village where one might feel content to live out the remainder of their life?
Lizzytysh

At times I wish I could say that I was such a place - I could then be relaxed in myself and grow old completely at ease with myself and my immediate world (which, of course, would be one and the same)!!! :lol:

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:56 pm

Andrew,
Derbyshire, my home county, used to be called Darbyshire until the late 1700's and as you mention ancestery from Lancashire (next door to Derbyshire) there has to be a connection. ( you are probably aware of this anyway).

Derbyshire has many quaint villages and I am fortunate that my childhood was spent in one of them and that I have now returned to my roots (I'm not quite back in the village but 2 miles away in Matlock isn't too bad!)
We might even be related :)

I think you are entitled to call yourself a 'Derbyshire lad' :)

unless you disagree with the old adage
'Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred, strong in t'arm, thick in t'head' :lol:

regards
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:09 am

Pete

Good to hear from you - especially concerning that information on my surname. I do remember drinking in a Derbyshire pub (many years ago, now) and seeing a map of the county spelt the same way as my name and you have now confirmed for me that recollection.

I have a very fond memory of Matlock (a romantic association :wink: ) but was only there fleetingly.

I am happy to be become a 'Derbyshire lad' even if I need to embrace that wonderful adage (with its two-edged description) you mentioned! :lol:

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)

Return to “Comments & Questions”