Sound track to I'm Your Man

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
MARTI

Sound track to I'm Your Man

Post by MARTI » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:06 am

I hope everyone goes and sees this film, it is kick ass. I just got the sound track and i love it.

One thing i can't understand. Rufus Wainright's version of Halleluia is not inluced on the c.d. He has two other songs on there, Everybody Knows and Chelsea Hotel, and they are wonderful

But anyone who has never heard Rufus singing Halleluia, has really missed something great. I just listend to Leonard's version, and Rufus is light year better. He has such a beautiful voice, and sings the song almost like a prayer, it moved me to tears in the movie!

I would say that it is the best song in the movie, i can't understand why, of all the songs, that one was left out. Too weird.

Luckily i have it on a Rufus Wainright compilation c.d. Anyone who has not heard that version, really is missing out. Leonard created the beautiful words, but Rufus had the voice to pay real tribute to it.

There are so many other songs that could have been left off, i am stunned. :?: :?: :?:
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:02 am

I thought it made sense. Recordings of Rufus doing Hallelujah are already out there; so we may as well get a unique performance on the CD, instead.

Of course, it's not like there wasn't more room on the media itself.

My favourite cover of Hallelujah's is k.d. lang's.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:09 am

Oh, k.d. lang does a nice version, but I think she takes it a bit too far. Too much instrumentation, too much k.d. climbing the scale. Rufus, I'm not so fussy about, for reasons I've not yet determined. But, Jeff Buckely's is my all time fave. Haven't heard John Cale's yet, though, so my opinion may change. But Buckley's is DIVINE. Hallelujah! Not overdone at all. It sounds so 'sincere'. Love it.

Linda.
MARTI

Post by MARTI » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:02 am

I bought K.D. Lang's version, and Jeff Buckleys, sorry i don't think either one holds a candle to Rufus' verson
Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:02 pm

I think he does a much better Chelsea Hotel.
never could stand that dog...

Return to “Comments & Questions”