Famous Blue Raincoat in Cuba

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
MarioJoel

Famous Blue Raincoat in Cuba

Post by MarioJoel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm

Ever since I encountered L.C I took it to my group of friends at the Patio Boti (The house of late Regino E. Boti. Cuban most important poet from the beginning of the XX century and one of the most important of all times. I work at his archives) I set to the task of translating all the songs so they could enjoy them fully and guess what it's Famous Blue Raincoat the most listened to, interpreted and analyzed of them all. (we all think Take this Waltz is his greatest) but still BFR is that often come to.

Now here is my question: Can any of you guess why?
hints: Cuba, patio, Boti's house, all of us love and some write poetry, women, etc

Best

Mario Joel
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm trying, I swear I'm trying... is infidelity forbidden in Cuba :wink: ? Did Boti have a similar affair, of which he wrote a poem in Cuba from his patio?

:? Can you give more clues?

~ Lizzy
MarioJoel

famous blue raincoat and Cuba

Post by MarioJoel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:59 pm

Lizzy,

You're quite close. No, infidelity is not prohibited, in fact it happens more here than anywhere I can think of. However is a very impacting social topic.
OK, as much as I'd love to challenge your mind only to make it work, I'd feel bad if I get to frustrate you.

ANY MAN IN CUBA WOULD GIVE AN ARM AND A LEG TO ACT THE WAY LEONARD COHEN DOES IN THE SONG

That's the answer, you could still try and say why?

hints: macho

best,
Mario
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:26 am

Do you mean any man in Cuba would give an arm and a leg to act forgiving? To be sensitive, absent bitterness, to the realities of life, some of which are unfortunate? However, they are so macho as to be unable to do this?

Thanks, Mario... interesting line of discussion.

~ Lizzy
MarioJoel

Here we go

Post by MarioJoel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:37 am

Lizzy,

Many a man would give it. I find so much class in forgiving. I would say the exact same words said by LC. However, our society is so machista that generally a double-crossed man would never be forgiven himself by his macho friends if he ever forgives a woman who has "betrayed " him. So there's a longing, a yearning, a profound need in most men in Cuba to liberate themselves from their own shackle. A frame of mind that makes many a man unhappy, unable to cry, unable to forgive a woman ... (You see why I say Cohen and a lot of his culture needs to be read down here inmidiately)

Best,
I am going to the patio now.
See you tomorrow if I have internet
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:50 am

It will be a pleasure to see you tomorrow, Mario. Thank you for your elucidating explanation. You are right, so, oh so, right, in all you've said regarding the machismo issue with men. So real. Leonard's words can help us be better people, more fully human. "So Long Marianne" and "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" helped me with alleviating the possibilities of bitterness. "Bird on a Wire" helped me in understanding someone else. "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong" helped me and a loved one navigate some difficult territory. The list goes on...

Yes, you're right, Mario. There's so much class in forgiving.

Perhaps, you can find Leonard's songbooks for sale on the Internet. If not, if you'll give me your address, I'll xerox the two that I have and send them to you [for those of you whom I still owe cds and tapes, it's much easier to get my hands on a xerox machine than on audio copying equipment :? ]; however, I won't be able to do this until after I return from Berlin. That won't be much good for photo reproduction, but at least you'll be able to see them and share them, with a number of things that Leonard has said and written.

Hoping you find yourself and Internet access in the same location tomorrow.

~ Lizzy
MarioJoel

I am back

Post by MarioJoel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 pm

Lizzy,

Gald to be back. I hear you're going to Germany, you have already taken Manhatan?
No, you can't buy in the internet from Cuba and there's no shipment here (takes long to explain). Anyways, I think I have most his lyrics.

best,
Mario
I am Cuban
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi Mario ~

Welcome back :) .

Yes... exactly... first we took Manhattan, and now we take Berlin :) . I'm privileged to take in both Events... and feel sorrowful that I missed the first two, Montreal and Hydra.

Oh, dear, what a shame that you can't buy off the Internet. Yes ~ you can print his lyrics off this site, too.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Comments & Questions”