Two Questions for You Leonard Cohen die hards.

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
JRBAcct

Two Questions for You Leonard Cohen die hards.

Post by JRBAcct »

1. What is the woman's name in <not Jane> in "Famous Blue Raincoat"?

2. If so many women find Mr. Leonard Cohen irrestistible, why then did Suzanne and Marianne leave him?

Enjoy the thought process. See you in The Future, or are we there now?

JRBAcct

:lol:
Welcome to my humble abode.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lilly Marlene?
shyone

Post by shyone »

any right minded woman would leave him. c'mon he 's not exactly husband material. it s all very romantic to be with a poet but when it comes right down to it he's just some guy who's always screwing around,can't make a commitment to marriage , is always on the road,i won't even get into the issue of a father who's not there for day to day parenting(lots of guys aren't )it wouldn't be acceptable to me. my god the list could just go on and on.

shyone
Paula

Post by Paula »

I think you are assuming an awful lot Shyone. How do you come to all these conclusions about him. You know nothing about him except what is protrayed thru the media and interviews - I am assuming this is the case but please tell me if I am wrong.

What right do you have to judge someone so harshly when you don't know them.

In interviews I have read of Adam he has been extremely proud of his dad and credits him with being a loving and supportive father. Leonard lives with his daughter so I assume there is a loving bond there also.
Gaia

Re: Two Questions for You Leonard Cohen die hards.

Post by Gaia »

JRBAcct wrote:1. What is the woman's name in <not Jane> in "Famous Blue Raincoat"?

2. If so many women find Mr. Leonard Cohen irrestistible, why then did Suzanne and Marianne leave him?

Enjoy the thought process. See you in The Future, or are we there now?

JRBAcct

:lol:

1. The woman's name in <YES it is Jane> in "Famous Blue Raincoat. Lili Marlene is a song.

2. Because so many women find Mr. Leonard Cohen irresistible?

We are there now. More questions please, I'm dying. Hard.
shyone

Post by shyone »

paula ,im not attacking him. do you really think that i'm going out on a limb by assuming that he is a womanizer? also he asked about why the women left him and i am speaking as a woman not as a child. i'm sure that he is a great father and that his children love him very much i only said that as a wife or girlfriend it would be a chore for me to be with someone who lived his life on the road. not all, but most women would prefer to raise their children with their husband in one house in one city in one country etc..vacations are great but not many families enjoy living out of suitcases for months or years on end. i can certainly understand how the most patient people in the most loving relationships wouldn't be able to sustain it for very long. i stick by everything i said in my original post ,he would NOT be a good partner for anyone who wants a permanent relationship and i can understand why they would give up and move on.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Shyone - If you are generallising about people in professions where they are not with their familes often then fine - what it appears to be to me is you are stating a fact. Even if you are generallising I think you are assuming an awful lot. You are judgng people on your standards. Not everyone would feel like you.

" but when it comes right down to it HE'S just some guy who's always screwing around,can't make a commitment to marriage , is always on the ............"

I and I assume you know nothing about the man and his personal life and from a personal perspective I too have children and the one thing that would cut any parent to the quick would be to critisize their child rearing skills especially when you are talking out of your hat.

Gaia - Lilly Marlene is also a woman's name and he said NOT Jane. Point 2 I agree with you wholeheartedly.
shyone

Post by shyone »

good morning paula
you are right ,i am making assumptions about lc,however i dont think that they are far fetched,i mean his whole livelyhood is based on his 'reputation'as a ladies man. he wouldn't have the same appeal if he lived the life of a 9 to5 clerk. i also have a tendency to think of 'celebrities' as next door neighbours so that i can put them in perspective.he always had the opportunity to deny all the inuendo about him but he hasnt because after all this is a business and he has to sell his albums and books . why dont you try to think of him as your brother in law or your mailman and see if he holds the same mystique.you are right that i am holding him up to my standards but believe me my standards arent so high or out of reach. my children are my 1st priority as im sure yours are and i dont think i would want to be married and still be a single parent as would be the case with most marriages where one person is often away . the divorce rate of celebrities speaks for itself(i know that divorce rates for non-celebrity types is also high). once i had my children it became impossible for me to see anything except what was the best situation for them and i guess that it colours my perspective . and again i am not speaking for or about his children i am speaking only as a woman which was the original question. i did not dispute his love for or his raising of his children.
shyone
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Shyone - Point taken and I am not saying you are right or wrong in your assumptions. Perhaps "standards" was the wrong word "expectations" would probably be better. I know quite a few people who prefer or would rather be single parents or just single people and that most certainly includes married couples. What I was trying to say is there is no "norm".

I like your idea of imagining celebrities to be your next door neighrbours it does alter concepts :lol:
Linda

Post by Linda »

The question is why did these women leave him? I am sure only they know the answer. I agree with Shyone, from the impression he gives through his poetry and what is written about him to which I have not read anywhere that he disagrees, he is a ladies man. Not husband material. These women maybe weren't wife material either, so everyone was happy. (Perhaps)
I admire the celebrity very much, and greatly respect the ones who have been married for many years. A lot of it boils down to being able to resist the temptation that is so readily available for them. The flesh is weak but if you really love someone you will remain faithful, and to me that is the best romance story there is. I speak from forty years of experience :D
Linda
carol

Post by carol »

Perhaps I misread his sgtory but I thought it was Leonard who had itchy feet?
Paula

Post by Paula »

The author of this thread disappeared without telling us the lady's name.

Return to “Comments & Questions”