Greece

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Pete

Greece

Post by Pete » Sun May 22, 2005 1:38 am

Greece win the Euro 2004 (soccer) and now they have just won the Eurovision Song Contest !
I think Dem is putting something in their drinks :lol:

What next? Good job they haven't got a cricket team.. have they?
Pete
Partisan

Post by Partisan » Sun May 22, 2005 1:57 am

Pete, we don't have a cricket team either.

p.
Pete

Post by Pete » Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Yes we have, Partisan. England have the best cricket team in Europe :D
Howzat!
Pete
Tony

Post by Tony » Sun May 22, 2005 9:57 pm

I was at a party in a pub last night and in the corner there was a television showing the Eurovision song contest with the sound off. Every time l looked over it seemed to me that the same group of dancers/singers were there wearing different clothes. It was a surreal experience worthy of being called art.
Partisan

Post by Partisan » Mon May 23, 2005 12:37 am

I have a plan for us to win Tony. We have seen how blatant block voting fixes it now, so we just play that game. So, no more UK entry. Instead we enter England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man, The Scilly Isles, The Falkland Islands(If Israel can be in Europe so can they), and the list goes on and on. We have enough territories for this to be a shoe-in.

p.
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 am

They all vote for their neighbouring countries anyway. It is a total farce. If we tried it your way Partisan we would get even less votes. Scotland, Ireland and Wales wouldn't vote for England. We need to do it Yorkshire, Wiltshire, Shropshire etc etc.

What I don't understand it why we put in such crummy singers and naff songs!
Insanitor

I love the Eurovision contest

Post by Insanitor » Mon May 23, 2005 3:50 am

I think You guys must have voted for Greece - the theme of their song was "Secret Passion".

Every year we have a party - it is a scream, and not to be taken very seriously at all. And why was everyone doing the drum routine. We were almost hysterical with laughter many times.

I thought that Malta entry had the best voice I have heard in a while.

Paula - I think you are right, but didn't Ireland vote for GB last night? We thought that the UK entry was pretty much the same as Greece (that is we couldn't figure the low voting out). Partisan is right about political voting, notice the cooling off between Russia and Ukraine.

At the end I wonder what Yuschenko was making of it all. From Dioxin poisoning to the Eurovision song contest - what a life.

:lol:
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 am

Insanitor - I never watch the singing it would be too painful I only watch the voting. Terry Wogan and his little comments makes me laugh and the voting is just very entertaining.

I like your tribute to Greece with your picture of Nana Mouskouri :lol:
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon May 23, 2005 10:54 am

Nana Maskouri? I think he looks more like Peg Bundy.

I've not seen nor heard any of this. My husband had, and said he thought
the entry from Greece was 'not bad'. I don't know what that means. Should I have him 'hospitalized'? He's deaf in one ear you know, that could be it. The drum machine proliferation was mentioned as well. Then there's that Terry Wogan guy again. American Idol was bad enough, I don't think I could bear to see/hear this.

Linda.
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Mon May 23, 2005 11:01 am

So many good points!

Yeah Paula, whatever happened to Nana?? As for listening to the singing, it's best done with a group (analogy: drinking alone). I must admit to feeling something like pain and embarrassment during some acts.

Linda, Eurovision leaves Idol for dead! Although, I did hear that Terry Wogan is retiring (he was himself hysterical for some parts of the commentary) and maybe Simon Cowell could take over?

As for Greece being alright, your hubby may have meant the performer - a bronzed anatomically perfect scantily glad chanteuse. We were trying to rate fake boobs vs the real thing. It was quite a pneumatic comp this year!
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon May 23, 2005 11:29 am

Hi Insanitor,
As for Greece being alright, your hubby may have meant the performer - a bronzed anatomically perfect scantily glad chanteuse.
I think you may have found the key which unlocks the door to my 'mischievous' side. I don't think 'hubby' has heard the last of this comp. from me, at least.

I've seen Terry Wogan (not in action, just a pic), the only thing worse was that DJ Bobo. Hey, there's an idea. DJ Bobo for the next Euro comp.!

Linda.

Return to “Comments & Questions”