In which interview does Leonard Cohen....

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
reus

In which interview does Leonard Cohen....

Post by reus »

tell a story about how his manager warned him before a concert that he had to go on stage because the audience was waiting, and Leonard Cohen said: "I'm not ready". To which his manager said, "we are never ready" (not ready to be born, get married, have children, die).
Does anybody know which interview this was and could you maybe give a link to the interview?
Thank you very much!
Hartmut

Re: In which interview does Leonard Cohen....

Post by Hartmut »

Here you are:
"LEONARD COHEN INTERVIEWED BY DANNY FIELDS AT THE CHELSEA HOTEL, 1974"
https://pleasekillme.com/leonard-cohen/
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hartmut, re-reading that interview has reminded me Leonard had a fetish for feet.... well, shoes and boots for sure ;-)

Plus coincidentally, today I received an email about a person who made custom Greek sandals for Leonard -
https://greekcitytimes.com/2021/07/26/m ... -makers-2/
Melissinos found himself making sandals and creating special custom designs for a whole, ongoing stream of celebrities and VIPs – amongst them Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O’, Elizabeth Taylor, Rudolph Nureyev, John Lennon, Sophia Loren, Kate Moss, Jeremy Irons, Sarah Jessica Parker, Leonard Cohen, and Maria Callas.

And who could forget the insert in the Popular Problems album CD with 6 photos of LC cleaning his shoes :)
Here's one of them -

Popular Problems shoe shining3.jpg
If LC didn't always appear ready for the things life can throw at you (and who of us ever are), it seems his shoes were always ready to shine ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

"If LC didn't always appear ready for the things life can throw at you (and who of us ever are), it seems his shoes were always ready to shine ;-)"

And shouldn't that teach us something?
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hartmut wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:54 pm "If LC didn't always appear ready for the things life can throw at you (and who of us ever are), it seems his shoes were always ready to shine ;-)"

And shouldn't that teach us something?
Ha! Absolutely!!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

B4real wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 am LC cleaning his shoes :)
The Leonard Cohen style :D . The photo and the interview are very meaningful to me. It shows us an authentic and modest way of life, without the luxuries of some stars and other vain ones.
I would feel unworthy if someone else cleaned my shoes.

I was unaware of this long interview from 1974, it seems very important to me in many aspects. Thanks Hartmut. It is the clearest statement I know of his thoughts towards society, so to speak. It has not surprised me :roll: , in many moments I have observed it, especially in 1992 1993.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Hartmut, thank you for posting the link to this very interesting 1974 interview!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!

Return to “Comments & Questions”