People and their animals [and PETA]

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi Rob ~

As far as I know, it's not an organized thing over here, at all. I know that there's what's called a "community garden," in Gainesville, where the same, basic thing occurs. The people who participate really like it. In living cooperatives [there's one in the Tallahassee area, where some friends of mine live, called the Miccosukee Co-op], there also tend to be group gardens. Other than those two possibilities, nothing else is coming to mind for where I'm at.

You're fortunate to live so close to yours. Yes, it really is a great feeling, though I haven't done it for awhile. When I do, I'll probably have to have good dirt trucked in, as I have tons of sandy loam and tree roots to battle. I do have some wild blackberries on my property, though.

~ Lizzy
smile

Post by smile » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:35 pm

I have always been an animal lover mainly dogs although cats like me I shiver when they get near me. My son has a cat that will not go to anyone other than him but when I came out of hospital and was able to visit the cat went straight to me and sat on my lap! I have had 4 and am currently on my 5th rescue dog he is a German Shepherd with one eye. He is fantastically loyal but is a bit silly about wanting to see the world outside eg. opening doors. We are currently training him which is quite difficult as he is 6 to walk alongside my wheelchair then he can go most places with us.
Love to all
Life is love so treasure every day.........
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:13 pm

Oh my......a door-opening dog could bring a lot of surprizes into one's life :lol: . There's a program here called "The Dog Whisperer," who understands dogs in the same way that the 'The Horse Whisperer' did horses. I've never seen the program, but have heard lots about it. He can do this~! ~ Walk alongside your wheelchair, and see the world! :D Much moreso than most other dogs, in fact.
annaedith

Post by annaedith » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:31 am

just another comment to ad - being a veterinarian and animal-owner - those whisperers of any kind should be judged critically. wheniwasyounger and inexperienced i also believed their poetic words and great pictures in the books. but after many mistakes,problems and much readuing and thinking i've learned that to communicate with animals you don't need a whisperer. you need knowledge about nature and biologyand endless sums of patience and love.this will do the whisperer trick. everybody wanting to has got the same possibilities! on the other hand,i've heard offamous whisperers accused of making people dependent on them and taking away their money,much like those dangerous church-like groups do!
by the way,here in germany we also have allotments. especially elderly people living in the city profit a lotfromspending much time outside in nice company!
*********** beauté est partout**********
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:00 am

Oh, yes, Annaedith, I don't question that for a minute! I'm sure there are those who exploit the concept to the detriment of the desperate. Likewise, it seems that The Dog Whisperer man may well have his storehouse of knowledge about nature and biology, plus endless sums of patience and love. In the movie, The Horse Whisperer, it appeared that the man was born and raised in those parts, so there was no doubt cumulative experience and knowledge, as well. Like with any romantic notion, there will always be charlatans who grab onto it like the last train out of town. A good, old-fashioned animal trainer would do me just as well.

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Rob wrote:Lizzy wrote
A garden of your own, with organic seeds, would be best....if you have the inclination, time, space [though it can still be accomplished with limited amounts of it], etc. Then, save the seeds to continue the process

I would be interested to know if other countries have anything like the UK,s "allotments". These are small plots of land (owned by the local authority) that you can rent for a nonimal sum to grow vegitables and fruit. I'm fortunate to live close to these (the back of my house overlooks the allotments) and I have two plots. It is hard work, but a lot cheeper than joining the gym. There is something special about cultivating the land, planting, reaping and then............eating the fruits of your labour.
Rob
Wise words. Rob, my contract with the gym ended at the end of December, and I had no intention to reniew it after having push my physical condition to its maximum (as much as possible), I had the intention to continue to keep moving and being in shape by taking dance classes instead, and swim, along with little gym session everybody can do at home in 20 minutes. But I'll swicht the swim for the gardening during the summer.

This is so like you said, gardening. And also so beautiful for the eyes. I'll learn the craft of putting the good variety of vegetables and flowers (forget the trees, no trees allowed in the plots) that are working in team together (for example, I already know that sun flowers (the little variety, no need to use the big or russian giant one) are fighting bad seeds. You put them in the garden and bad seeds are not able to grow such easily (yes even vegetables have a social life! :lol: ) and so on.

Yes Rob, here there is plots like you said, and municipality was furnishing them for "free" ("" because taxes are paying this, we all know this, but tend to forget easily that social services are paid by our taxes and are not free at all) at the last news. My problem with this was that the plots were far too bigs, even if it was sharing it with a friend. 5 friends maybe would be ok. And also the plolts are in in front of the river, so the soil is clayey, hard like rocks when dry and heavy like rocks when wet, this is not the best soil at all, maybe the worst but that grows anyway. Imagine. Nature is generous, it gives, it gives - a few plants, and so much to recolt.

(BTW a big irony here about agricultural thing, is that they had built all over on the arable soil instead of using it for agriculture)

Here are interesting links in regard of gardening in town : the greenroofing :

http://www.greenroofs.com/

If every building/house would have a green roof, the micro-climate of big cities would not be so hot, the pollution would be lower and the effect in general would increase the health of the ecosystem of our beautiful little blue planet.

And if people would like to grow their vege - for example, just one person with the plot I talk about, less big than the average roof - can furnish 30 other persons (more or less) in vege. So it does not need so much gardeners to feed a community, it solve the problem of nutrition for a always increasing population.

This is leading me toward the ecological house :

http://www.ecotecture.com/library_eco/s ... house.html

And solar and aeolian energy - windmills. The electric cars.

There is so many things we can do right now.

And I did not takled about recycling. This I do already.

Cheers! :D
smile

Post by smile » Sun May 01, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi Chocolatl, please don`t overdo the Gym bit. I was a keen swimmer mainly Synchronised Swimming and I was in a show with the San Francisco Merionettes when they came to the UK, I would live at the pool and became a Swimming Teacher. I built up muscles but looked a lot slimmer than what the scales were saying as it was muscle. Anyway when I had my accident shuk.....muscles turned to fat, can`t swim without a helper nearby incase of getting kicked. Best is when I go abroad and that is very rare as I have taken My German Shepherd on, when my husband retires we will hopefully be able to go abroad. Exercise needs to be phased down slowly please take care. :)
Life is love so treasure every day.........
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon May 02, 2005 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot Smile, for your advice. It comes at a good time. They are pushing me to do things that I do not want to do (work with weights heavier than I feel comfortable with, to push my limit over "my" limits all the time, in order too obtain "results" (they want me to look healthy and I want to be. Big difference). I did yoga for many years and the moto was "you have to go as far as you can but do not go over : day after day the hability will increase and you'll be able to perform in due time without arm for the body (and also the important was to do the posture, not to do it perfectly, the effect was the same) - at the gym, it is too anti-yoga mind to me, I am not docile in their hands and they do not like that, so I feel like the black sheep in this pack. Also I have began with them a class called Pilates and it is a kind of yoga all wrong done. Awful! Awful! I just attended one. I could not believe they are doing yoga like this. So it does not give me confidence for the rest. And also I know how the spirit in which sport is done : competition and destroying the body for the sake of performance/medail. But I have a hard head. I won't do this even if the whole gym would look at me with disguss because I do not lift a weight that is not the heavy maximum I can do. :lol: I'll continue to do my way. Don't worry I exercised all my life without experiencing accident of any kind.

The fat came with the sedentarity, it is not molding muscles, like many people are thinking. Most people that exercise are thinner than others. I do not want to build muscles anyway, just to work out my cardio and have a good general tonus.

What happened to you? I'm sorry to read that you have one. :(

Have a nice day. :D
annaedith

Post by annaedith » Mon May 02, 2005 3:35 pm

hello!
sorry to come between your discussion as the things you're saying are interestung and thoughtful;
but when thinking about the animal topic i just remembered a sentence LC said once, i read it in an old article about him and i think it was also in beautiful losers:
"scientists have found out that even radish cries when it is pulled out of the earth. there is no system, no way to live without killing others. the problem is endless."
that is sad, though it is true. but it's wonderful to see here that so many people think about this problem and don't just fo through life ignoring all the less nice things.
anna
*********** beauté est partout**********
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon May 02, 2005 3:52 pm

Yes, Anna, I've thought of that, too......how plants scream.....and how they respond so well in growth to our loving words and touch. I wish breatharianism were more accessible to the populace. ?Except, now the air's too polluted for even that, except atop a mountain [maybe!!! if you could find the right one!]. There seems no solution, except to live in spirit, which awaits us at our death.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Mon May 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Cat Stevens - I Love My Dog Lyrics
I love my dog as much as I love you
But you may fade, my dog will always come through.

All he asks from me is the food to give him strength
All he ever needs is love and that he knows he?ll get

So, I love my dog as much as I love you

All the pay I need comes shining through his eyes
I don?t need no cold water to make me realize that

Na, na, na, na, na, na, nana...

Na, na, na, na, na, na, nana...

I love my dog, baby, I love my dog. na, na, na...
I love my dog, baby, I love my dog. na, na, na...

9. August 1926
"The only true friend, you got, is the dog...."
7. August 1926
"The more I get to learn human beings, the more I love my dog Benno"

From the diaries of Joseph Goebbels
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue May 03, 2005 2:24 am

Who could say that Cat and Dog are not going along well, now? Hum? 8) (Is that a code? at x posts somebody came out with this? :lol: )

Annaedith, as far as I am concern I am happy to share "conversation" with any willing Cohenist that want to join the train in motion. :D

This subject I wanted not to stress it when I was talking about the ecological chain that we are a part of. I was waiting for someone to take it out the bag. (I bring enough non Cohen subject isn't it?, so sometimes I just wait and see and let go if nothing happens). I was waiting to write about the sacred act it is to take something from the nature to eat. When and where the sacred was not completely evacuated in societies, this is taking into account. This has to do with the knowledge that we are only a part of a whole, and that every intercourse with that whole (any part of it) is holly, sacred.
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Tue May 03, 2005 2:30 am

Tchoco

Maybe we need a forum viewing of the movie "Truth about cats and dogs" :)

Peter that song was definitely worth an encore
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue May 03, 2005 2:57 am

Yep! I. Definitively! 8)

What I mean by sacred, holy, part of the whole, is not as mystic as it could seem at first sight. It is a way to live without killing for nothing and exhausting environment to death (including our own).

L. you certainly talking about "prana", this energy that could be absorded while breathing by those who mastered yoga technics, which allow them to be free of eating. Don't try this at home. 8)
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Tue May 03, 2005 7:52 am

IF you want to eat the kind of food where nothing screams (apart from the consumer) just go to the supermarket and pick up a nice packet of food colourings, additives, flavours and a million other synthetic items which are supposed to be edible. It's a nice thought to be able to live on air only, and makes you feel better about not hurting things, but really we are part of a food chain. If it counts I respect my carrots.

Someone mentioned it in abstract, but I saw on the news last night an item about training cats to use the toilet rather than kitty litter. THis is crazy. ANyway, I'm sure a cat can't flush the loo (but at least they would leave the toilet seat down)
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha

Return to “Comments & Questions”