sex

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Geoffrey

sex

Post by Geoffrey »

in one of leonard's songs he sings "i'm crazy for love but i'm not coming on", which is obviously slang. where does the expression 'coming on' come from? i searched google for more information but without success. i know what it probably means; a man cannot get an erection (or at least cannot achieve orgasm) and thus remains sexually frustrated - but i have not heard or read this exact phrase earlier. if anyone has further knowledge concerning this i would be interested to read their comments.
199Dan

Re: sex

Post by 199Dan »

Some thing from " Everybody Knows"

"But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everyone knows"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

An alternative explanation: in North America, we use the phrase "come on to" to denote making romantic and/or sexual advances towards another person. For example, let's say that you are at a party and you see someone whom you really fancy -- you may decide "to come on to her", by letting her know, in various overt (and usually rather obvious) ways, that you are romantically/sexually attracted to her. If you do this, you could say, "I was coming on to her at the party". However, if you decided not to let her know your feelings, you could say that, "I was not coming on to her".

So, back to Leonard's "I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on", perhaps he may be suggesting that, for whatever reason(s), he has chosen not to make overt advances towards anyone, despite having the urge to do so. (There may be many reasons why a person does not always act on their sexual/romantic urges.)

Therefore, perhaps Leonard was being deliberately ambiguous with his lyric -- it would not be the first time! -- particularly by his leaving off the usual end of the North American phrase "...to", so that he could be suggesting either or both his inability to perform physically, as you, Geoffrey, surmised (such that, Leonard wants to have sex, by physically cannot), as well as his choice/desire not even to initiate the activity with anyone (such that, he wants it, but will not act on it).

P.S. Incidentally, there is actually more to "love" than just physical sexual intercourse, at least, for some people. Therefore, another possibility is that, when Leonard says "I'm crazy for love", he is not, necessarily, referring merely to one specific physical act of love, but he may be referring to a broader notion of love, one that may involve deep feelings towards another person, and/or a commitment to another person, within a close personal relationship. Perhaps Leonard wants "love" in that broader sense, but is not willing or able to enter into that sort of relationship with anyone.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lisa. i've mentioned it earlier, and, at the risk of boring you, will do so again: i envy so much your ability to write so precisely and succinctly exactly what is on your mind. that is such a marvelous talent, and a privilege for inadequate people like myself to behold. so thank you for that, and also to 199Dan as well as the private message from one other person - much appreciated :)

i am not sure why it is, but i feel it is inappropriate to ask a singer/songwriter the meaning in their lyrics. perhaps it's because such questions might border on tactlessness, rudeness - implying that they have composed an unintelligible song. even if leonard were alive today, i would never dare to enquire about his texts unless the subject was first brought up by himself. it's just something that someone with a modicum of social intelligence does not do. as you know, interacting with people is an artform that requires respect, courtesy and grace - qualities that not everyone learns. anyway, not knowing for certain what leonard meant is probably a positive thing. the lyrics will remain open for discussion, and therefore assist in keeping his work alive and relevant. solve a mystery and it becomes history.

i used to wonder about 'bird on the wire', the first song on one of leonard's early albums. why did he deliberately make it difficult for me to imagine the type of bird? after all, the second song ('story of isaac') specified both an eagle and a vulture, so why the vagueness in the first, especially from a poet and novelist usually so immersed in details? if he wanted a species with one syllable why not 'owl', 'finch', 'dove', 'crow', etc. - even 'wren'? i read that on hydra he listened to the radio a lot, and speculated that it could have been a hidden reference to a well-known jazz musician called charlie 'bird' parker playing on his wireless. however this theory was squashed when marianne informed "det var en spurv" ('it was a sparrow').

https://youtu.be/okoOe5ho3VM

Return to “Comments & Questions”