The Holy or the Broken

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Hal E. Lujah

The Holy or the Broken

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hello. I searched for Alan Light and the title and did not see anything much, so forgive my lateness on this (published 2012), but here goes.
I am only part-way in, but I see oddities which seem quite unfit for a book as well-researched as this. The first thing I happened to notice was that in the Discography section he lists Various Positions as if Columbia Records put it out in 1984, which is certainly wrong. On page 34, he claims it was released by PVC Records, which is also wrong. It was Passport Records. In addition, on that page, he says that Columbia "would later buy back the rights to the album," but does not explain how it would buy back something it had never bought in the first place. Perhaps most odd is that Lissauer did not know the album had been released until roughly half a decade. How this came about is totally unexplained. Manager M. Machat, had to have brokered the deal with Passport; how would he have overlooked the producer? How would he be totally oblivious? Didn't Dylan release his own version of Hallelujah not that long after, and how would this also not have been noticed? For a book that purports to be the final word on that album and its mega-hit, I am at a loss as to how these issues are glossed over.

Return to “Comments & Questions”