Remembering Leonard on his Birthday

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
musicmania

Remembering Leonard on his Birthday

Post by musicmania »

I've made a post on my blog remembering Leonard's birthday:

https://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress ... -birthday/
I had been wondering how I would mark Leonard’s birthday, and when I heard that The Flame was released early in some shops in Ireland my plan was made.

I had already planned on visiting the Botanic Gardens in Dublin, so first I collected the book and then I went across to the Gardens, with my treasure held closely to my heart.

While making these photos I almost felt guilty to not be keeping the booking in my hands, given how lucky I was to have it early, but since the name, The Flame, is a part of nature I knew the book fitted in these images.

While I listen to Leonard’s songs while I make this post I am reminded that my grief at his passing is as raw today as it was when I found out he was no more of this world. My heart shattered that day, and I don’t think it will ever heal. The wonderful memories I have, Leonard’s body of work, and making other memories mean life is still lived. I know know I am luckier than most where Leonard is concerned. I’ve had a lot of hardship in my life, and an Avalanche in the last couple of years. I’m forever grateful for my Leonard Memories to sustain my through The Darkness.

Now I look forward to the treasure that lies in the pages of The Flame. I am savouring it in small doses, for I want the first read to last as long as possible. I hope it isn’t the final record of Leonard’s work. What will be, will be.

Thank you Leonard. Rest easy. Love you always and forever. Thank you for the Memories. Gwen.
LC2a.jpg
LC1a.jpg
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
surrender

Re: Remembering Leonard on his Birthday

Post by surrender »

Day of loving memories.....
red needle, green candle and his voice.
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
jarkko
Site Admin

Happy Birthday Leonard Cohen: The Jewish Journal's Kirk Silsbee on Cohen

Post by jarkko »

Kirk Silsbee
Happy Birthday, Leonard Cohen (1934-2016).

Of all the great singer-songwriter talent from 1960s Canada (Mitchell, Young, Lightfoot), none was more enigmatic than Leonard Cohen. His lyrics didn't always lay the way you were used to hearing them, but his intensely personal themes rang universal. The interpersonal, the political, the spiritual and the sexual all melded.

The Jewish Journal examined Harvey Kubernik's masterful "Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows" book, excerpted here:
“Leonard Cohen: Tea and Oranges on High Holy Days” by Kirk Silsbee

Like many of us, author Harvey Kubernik first heard Leonard Cohen through his interpreters. Judy Collins recorded Cohen’s obliquely lyrical “Suzanne” and the sardonic suicide ode “Dress Rehearsal Rag” on her 1967 In My Life album. The songs impressed him but it wasn’t until Cohen’s first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen (Columbia 1968) that Kubernik began to get the full impact of the Canadian novelist and poet who turned to writing songs and singing.

“I went to Fairfax High,” says Kubernik, “and there were 32 people at my school named Cohen. I knew that Bob Zimmerman changed his name to Dylan for show business reasons, but I’d never heard a name like Leonard Cohen on FM underground radio; which was where I heard his songs.”
In that format, dominated by the Beatles’ White Album and Wheels of Fire by Cream, Cohen’s evenly modulated tones were closer to narration than singing. “It was slow and seductive,” Kubernik advises. “He was an older guy with a distinguished voice who dressed immaculately—like someone I’d see at High Holy Days.”

Cohen brought a reservoir of literary weight to his lyrics, informed by such sources as Camus, Garcia Lorca, the I Ching, and Hermann Hesse. Sufficiently impressed with lyrics of “tea and oranges that come all the way from China,” and “you've used up all your coupons, except the one that seems to be written on your wrist,” Kubernik dutifully wrote a term paper on the unlikely 'eminence grise' of the local FM rock stations.

Using religious imagery and terminology to explore emotional territory and matters of the heart, Cohen has forged a large body of recorded work over the years that wrestles with Judaism, love in all of its forms, economics, substance abuse, eroticism—all in a manner that’s personal yet universal. His work has been interpreted by other artists widely, and obsessively dissected by fans of all ages. Like “Suzanne,” his beautiful, pain-ridden “Hallelujah” has been recorded over 600 times.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Jewish Journal, October 17, 2014
Thanks to Harvey Kubernik for the article!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, dear... Earlier this evening, I wrote my message of birthday wishes and gratitude for Leonard, but when I went to post it, I had no service, so saved it as a Draft.

Then, went to the political forum that went from 6 PM to 9 PM, with 20+ political-post seekers, or their representatives, from local school boards to who will go to Washington, D.C.

It's over now, but even though my message written ON Leonard's birthday won't post here until the 22nd... except via my phone, I can't locate where the Drafts are!! So, I will continue to try to find them, and I will read everyone else's messages. Where I am, it still IS the 21st.

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"In this world, you have to be a bit too kind, just to be kind enough."

Dear Leonard ~

Today, on what would have been your 84th birthday, I write you once more to thank you again for all you were and all that you remain in my heart, and for the sterling standard you set for kindness and decency for all who knew you through any path or avenue to you. My deepest gratitude will forever fill my heart as long as I'm alive, and when I see you again in the beyond.

On a side note, the same as with my Mom, I'm glad that you nor she did nit leave this world knowing that your prediction was correct that Trump would replace Obama in the White House. You always knew human nature so well, far far beyond most all of us, and you had your finger on the pulse of our elections. Still... we need you... we need you now. Your humour and your encouraging word. We need you and we miss you.

Thank you, Jarkko, for once again providing us this space, as we continue to process our loss of Leonard.

Love,
Elizabeth/Lizzie/lizzytysh

(Here it is... and where I am in Florida, it is still September 21st, 9:32 PM now. Happy Birthday, Leonard.)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real »

Gwen,
That’s a wonderful tribute to our man! I am waiting until after the due release date of The Flame before I purchase the book. I simply want to relish and take my time (as you mentioned) over the last written words of Leonard, as slowly and resonantly as I can. But I know in my heart there will be more music to come from Leonard and that will be an outstanding additional bonus to look forward to. The singer may be gone, but his song lingers on .... Leonard will live forever in our hearts with a special remembrance for the 21st September.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

There is definitely more to come. I think we just need to be patient, now where did I hear that before.
On Leonard's Facebook page yesterday it was announced more boxes of his notes have been added to the archives in the Thomas Fisher Library in Toronto University, and the 80 verses of Hallelujah have been found. Oh what I would give to read those.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am But I know in my heart there will be more music to come from Leonard and that will be an outstanding additional bonus to look forward to. The singer may be gone, but his song lives on ....
musicmania wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:10 pm There is definitely more to come. I think we just need to be patient, now where did I hear that before.
On Leonard's Facebook page yesterday it was announced more boxes of his notes have been added to the archives in the Thomas Fisher Library in Toronto University, and the 80 verses of Hallelujah have been found. Oh what I would give to read those.
Seems it's official now about "more music to come" :D
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... =3&t=38219

....and absolutely, it would be more than enlightening to view those 80 verses of Hallelujah!!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just a quiet remembrance this year for Leonard again on this day, 21 September.

"And quiet is the thought of you
The file on you complete,
Except what we forgot to do,
A Thousand Kisses Deep."

But we haven't forgotten this -

"Everybody knows that you live forever
when you've done a little line or two"

Forever in our minds and hearts...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Happy Birthday, Dear Leonard -- I hope that wherever you are, you are filled with peace and love and happiness. I miss your presence in this world, but you and your music will always live on in my heart.

(Thanks for your post, Bev -- nice that people remember!)
dar

Post by dar »

A special date to remember the day that Leonard Cohen's consciousness began it's journey here on Earth. He's somewhere in the collective now - a cosmic kibbutz - still working for all of us. Thank you Leonard!
B4real

Post by B4real »

I wanted to acknowledge here that today 21st Sept would have been Leonard’s 89th birthday.
Having just said that, these lines he sang in 1967 from 3 takes of his song “The Middle of the Night” sprang to mind –

Your birthday travelled through me
Like a thread goes through a bead
And when the thread frayed and it parted
Why then I floated just like a seed ~ ~ ~

Indeed ....
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

" May everyone live,
And may everyone die.
Hello, my love,
And my love,
Goodbye."
dar

Post by dar »

Leonard made the hard choices when it came to his life and his work. I'm not sure if he celebrated his birthday with family or friends. I'm not sure what would be considered significant milestones during his life either. I certainly believe he loved deeply and was loved in return. He left an amazing body of work and his words have travelled around the world and into our hearts. Remembering the day he was born. What a life!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Tribute to Leonard Cohen at Casa Astor, Barcelona September 20, 2023:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nws1Ueou7cc
Thanks to:
Casa Astor for the initiative and for their welcome.
Bea and Chema for the photos and videos.
the musicians, “la selección de maravillosos artistas” who did not disappoint the announcement, special thanks to Jordi, Jorcx.

At Casa Astor we have celebrated a heartfelt tribute to Leonard Cohen, a few hours before what would have been his 89th birthday. It was a moment of reunion, of beauty and emotion. How I need to live that!

I saw young people singing their songs and, from the audience, recognizing them and humming.
Leonard will still be alive :!: .

I remembered the 70th anniversary that Jordi organized in 2004 in Barcelona, just 19 years ago today. Some souls touched by Cohen were able to meet at leonardcohenforum.com and share feelings and friendship. Thanks Jarkko.

September 21, 2023
Attachments
20230920_jordi.jpg
20230920_tots.jpg

Return to “Comments & Questions”