'The times they are a-changing...' Montreal concert

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
HugoD

Re: 'The times they are a-changing...' Montreal concert

Post by HugoD »

JaneBK wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 am
In my life, I'm surrounded by people who have never heard of him. It's lonely.

I can't wait until Nov. 5 and 6.
Beautiful said and so true for many of us I think. Therefore this forum and all the meetings are indispensable ;-)
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Something I'd say we can all agree on is that this forum is a great idea. Thanks to Jarkko.

Perhaps some need to be reminded that a forum is a place of discussion, a place where people can air differing opinions.

If everyone here "sang from the same hymn sheet" it would be so tedious, and I for one would keep well away from it.

LC managed to avoid sentimentality all his life, even in his last album when he knew death was close.
My final comment on the Montreal concert (unless someone really provokes me!) is my hope that it too "steers its way" past schmaltz - it would probably help if the many performers were asked to sing but not allowed to make a speech!
Ring the bells that still can ring...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Athnuachan wrote:...LC managed to avoid sentimentality all his life...

"I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean" -- L. Cohen, "Democracy"

;-)
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I'm not sure where my belief stands but I have no reason or want to see tribute acts of Leonard Cohen, or just people singing his songs. Nothing fills me with more dread than to go and listen to his songs being murdered. Both my wife and I have attended small meet ups before a concert and we have enjoyed this. One that neither of us enjoyed too much was the Cohen 75th Birthday celebration lunch in Barcelona, held just before the concert in Montjuic. We both like Cohen (of course we do, the number of gigs we have been to would more than suggest that !) but the fawning by more than a few over LC (obviously not present but...) Jarkko and the IOW film was rather too much.
We are adults and to act like some did in the manner of "children" at that lunch made me feel uncomfortable but then again, we went to Paris and whilst there, we thought it might be a good idea to go and see James Blunt in concert, we didn't expect yelling kids to be at the front of the stage calling out "James" for a fair amount of the concert, seemed bizarre at the time, as did the lunch in Barca.

So that's my thoughts...sorry if it doesn't coincide but as Athnuachan said, we will have differing opinions and here's mine.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Vicomte wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:03 pm One that neither of us enjoyed too much was the Cohen 75th Birthday celebration lunch in Barcelona, held just before the concert in Montjuic. We both like Cohen (of course we do, the number of gigs we have been to would more than suggest that !) but the fawning by more than a few over LC (obviously not present but...) Jarkko and the IOW film was rather too much.

We are adults and to act like some did in the manner of "children" at that lunch made me feel uncomfortable
I'm intrigued now Vicomte. We avoided the lunch simply because of the numbers there, went to visit Dali's house in Cadaques instead, so I have no idea what did, or did not, happen then .....

Wendy
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

You were a good judge then not to attend, Wendy. We were staying in Sitges as we often do, so we thought it would be nice to get in to Barcelona early and take in the lunch. The film being shown had oohs and argghs at the very sound of Leonard, some older women cooing, some making rather a silly fuss of certain people, all too much. Food was OK but for all that ,we met and have stayed friends with one couple that we left the lunch with to walk up to the concert with. Overall the lunch was a little OTT but there you go, I suspect many loved it.....just not us.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

I have been watching this thread because I am attending the tribute concert in Montreal, and I am curious about some of the sentiments here. I have not been as fortunate as most of you in ever seeing Leonard live. However, I have watched the available DVDs of his concerts and after seeing the I'm Your Man DVD and hearing several covers of his songs, I feel there is sufficient love and respect for him to ensure the tribute will not embarass either those involved in the production or those attending.
I think all will be well and as it should be.
I wish everone here could attend, because I would love to be in your presence to see you honor him and support his friends and family all together at once.
Good thoughts,
Vickie

Return to “Comments & Questions”