'The times they are a-changing...' Montreal concert

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Athnuachan

'The times they are a-changing...' Montreal concert

Post by Athnuachan »

Am I the only one saddened by all the goings on about this Montreal concert? Many different packages at different prices, VIP/ rip off options, confusion about seating plan, no certainty about who exactly will perform, etc.

It was all so different when LC was alive. Simplicity was paramount in his concerts - one dedicated performer who stayed on stage for 3 hours or more, supported by an excellent band. And thanks to Jarkko and this forum we had presales offering good tickets at reasonable prices.

To be honest I have no great desire to attend one of these ghastly American style tribute concerts where many lesser known "celebrities" emote about the deceased person, whether they knew him well or not, and where most of the audience indulges in tears, even those who didn't bother to get to even one Cohen concert when plenty of opportunities were offered.

No doubt those who attend will make the best of it and enjoy meeting up with former acquaintances etc., but now more than ever I appreciate my front row seat for LC Lisbon 2010 for €75 and good seats for many other LC concerts - thank you Jarkko!
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Mabeanie1

Re: 'The times they are a-changing...' Montreal concert

Post by Mabeanie1 »

There were always VIP seats for Leonard's North American shows Athnuachan. They typically cost between $500-600 each. Standard top price seats were around $250 so this really isn't so very different price wise. If you wanted to try for a front row seat you had to buy a VIP package. I got a top price VIP package with a 5th row seat in New York in 2013.

At least the profits of this show are going to good causes close to Leonard's heart.

Personally I am more interested in sharing what is bound to be an emotional event with friends than who is performing on stage but we are all free to make our own choices.

Wendy
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mabeanie1 wrote:

Personally I am more interested in sharing what is bound to be an emotional event with friends than who is performing on stage

Wendy

You don't care who is performing on stage? So you might as well have a meet up with the old pals in the local pub - much less expensive!!

(ps - enjoyable as were the meet ups before and after the concerts, the high point was ALWAYS the Cohen concert-as it should be)
Mordy

Post by Mordy »

I can't help feeling that a tribute and celebration like this should have been held today - the anniversary of his birth - the day it all started, rather than around the anniversary of the very sad day we lost him. My personal reaction to any anniversary of loss is quiet remembrance, but I respect that others feel differently. However, I'm sure it will be a fantastic concert, and I'll look forward to seeing a video.

btw - does anyone know if the exhibition is scheduled to visit London?

Mordy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Athnuachan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 pm You don't care who is performing on stage? So you might as well have a meet up with the old pals in the local pub - much less expensive!!
No, I genuinely don't. There are a couple of artists on the bill who I'm interested in but I committed to making the trip long before I knew who was performing.

As for the local pub, there is no local pub!! My friends are across the world - throughout Europe, N America, Australia, New Zealand .... We travel and meet up periodically so it might just as well be the city of Montreal (where cooncidentally I am as I write this).

Wendy
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mordy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm My personal reaction to any anniversary of loss is quiet remembrance, but I respect that others feel differently.

Mordy
Yes Mordy, my feelings too. There was a certain dignity about the (comparative) media silence since the death of Leonard Cohen. Suppose it couldn't last!
ARGO

Post by ARGO »

I think That any opportunity to celebrate Leonard and his life work is a great opportunity. There are always Vip packages for those who want to indulge but with Tickets start at 40 Canadian Dollars (27Euro) its almost a free show. if you really wanted to go ... Hard to complain with that.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

ARGO wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:38 am with Tickets start at 40 Canadian Dollars (27Euro) its almost a free show. if you really wanted to go ... Hard to complain with that.
Don't think many of the forum members would be buying those (not quite free tickets) do you?!
You would be very far back, to put it mildly.

Don't begrudge those who are able to attend.
Which is why I put this msg here, not on NEWS where those able to get to Montreal were beavering away for tickets - well do I remember the excitement and tension of that!

Most of those who are not going to Montreal
have probably tuned out of the forum by now.
A pity - I think Jarkko intended this forum not just for the few who can attend such events but for the many who love Cohen 's music.
Last edited by Athnuachan on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Athnuachan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm Most of those who are not going to Montreal
A pity - I think Jarkko inteded this forum not just for the few who can attend such events but for the many who love Cohen 's music.
I don't see any reason for people to tune out of the forum. Have you checked New Posts recently? Apart from one frenetic week in September there has been very little related to the Montreal tribute. But there has been news of a new poetry anthology, an ongoing discussion of Leonard's albums, poetry and works from members and news of the Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend to name but a few recent topics. Regular viewers will no doubt recognise this activity as "business as usual" in the non-touring years.

Most of the Montreal arrangements are being made offline now but regular meet ups of forum members have always been, and I hope always will be, an essential part of the forum. I don't see why Montreal should be any different.

Wendy
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Athnuachan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pmMost of those who are not going to Montreal
You think? I don't know, I suspect that many of us who lurk and sometimes post on this forum are not going to Montreal, I for one, and for any number of reasons.

As Wendy said, organising fan gatherings has always been a part of this forum, and there does seem to be a core of people who participate in that sort of thing but who don't seem to be as involved in other discussions around here. And, really, that is a person's prerogative, as to what they do and how they choose to enjoy and celebrate Leonard Cohen and his work, whether it is here, elsewhere, wherever and whenever, alone or with a crowd.

Whatever makes people happy, if it's not hurting anyone, then it's all good! If something isn't your thing, that's fine, too -- there is no need for anybody to have to explain or justify themselves or their choices to anybody. Live and let live, don't you think?
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Athnuachan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm
Most of those who are not going to Montreal
The big build up to the "important announcement" began in July.

Over the months of "patience" many posted their hopes, modest ones really : an unpublished work by Leonard, a new recording, some said they didn't relish a tribute concert, one hoped it would be something to suit "the many rather than the few". It made for interesting reading.

All those varied voices have been silenced since the announcement - that thread is now locked.

Lisa, you could never be called a lurker! But many others who posted there have vanished since. Those excited about Montreal probably can't understand the disappointment of others.

By all means "live and let live" but let's not take ourselves too seriously! An expression of differing opinions on a fan site is not a matter of life and death. It's just what you would expect on a Forum.
tularosa

Post by tularosa »

Thank you Athnuachan … . you are so right ! I can’t express my own feelings, my english is too bad. The only thing I am waiting for is that book from Leonard « the flame » … and may be an CD ?
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Good to hear from you Tularosa, thanks for your support!
Yes, I too look forward to "the Flame."
A whole year away, but should be good. :)
JaneBK

Post by JaneBK »

It's a fund raiser. That's a good thing.

I'm going to bring plenty of Kleenex. I'm just grateful that I have the opportunity to spend an evening with other LC fans,

In my life, I'm surrounded by people who have never heard of him. It's lonely.

I can't wait until Nov. 5 and 6.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

JaneBK wrote:In my life, I'm surrounded by people who have never heard of him. I can't wait until Nov. 5 and 6.
Me too!

Return to “Comments & Questions”