Suicide?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Hal E. Lujah

Suicide?

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hi, all. I just read this idiocy in the NYTimes. Some author wrote that L. Cohen committed suicide, as I quote below:
"Of course, if a suicide follows a completed work, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the work was made as a ‘‘final work,’’ in the way of ‘‘You Want It Darker.’’ Not all suicides are planned. There are situations, as was apparently the case with David Foster Wallace, when things go very suddenly to pieces. But it is possible to imagine a person suffering from serious depression aware, in some way, that they are going to die of it. And regardless of the intention, suicide lends a special, distressed urgency to an artist’s last work. It calls out for explanation."

Why am I hearing this libel? A man trips in the night and that's suicide? Is there something that I missed? Last I checked that's what's called an accident.

Hal E. Lujah
199Dan

Re: Suicide?

Post by 199Dan »

Just remember ...you are not forced to read or believe any newspaper .
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

I don't know if I am misreading this, or if something came out which I don't know about. I very much doubt this report. It is disconcerting to see this written at all. Many will read this and take it as the case, which is truly sad. No way LC would do that. Maybe I should call for a retraction.
Hal
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/t-ma ... ml?mcubz=1

I just read the article you cited. And I believe you misread what the author is saying. He was differentiating Cohen's last work, which he wrote about earlier in the piece, from those works that are followed by a suicide. The author was saying that Cohen knew he was dying of cancer on You Want It Darker, and that knowledge of his mortality infused the album with the sense of being a "final work." On the other hand, the last works of those who commit unplanned suicide, like David Foster Wallace, are not infused with the awareness of being the "final work." These artists don't know they are making their last creation. So rest assured. The author is not implying that Leonard committed suicide.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

yopietro wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/t-ma ... ml?mcubz=1

I just read the article you cited. And I believe you misread what the author is saying...

Indeed. Not only did you "misread" the article, but you then attributed to the author an assertion that she never actually made, when you stated matter-of-factly: "Some author wrote that...". She most certainly did not "write" that, nor did she even imply it.

I suggest that before a person gets their knickers in knot and publicly accuses somebody of libel, they ought to learn to read properly. You are the one who has written something blatantly false.

Return to “Comments & Questions”