Leonard Cohen Lyrics That Would be Suitable for a Wedding Reading?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Murf

Leonard Cohen Lyrics That Would be Suitable for a Wedding Reading?

Post by Murf »

Hi Cohen Fans!

I've been asked to do a reading at my friend's wedding next month and he has been brave enough to let me choose the reading. The only conditions being that it is not religious or too 'adult' (there will be children present at the wedding).

I've been looking for a suitable Leonard Cohen lyric or poem to use, but I've found most of my ideas to be too filthy or containing religious references. :lol: Could any of you Cohen experts suggest anything suitable?
HugoD

Re: Leonard Cohen Lyrics That Would be Suitable for a Wedding Reading?

Post by HugoD »

That’s a difficult one as there are many interpretations of his songs and the meaning that people give to them. The song that came to my mind was from his last album “You want it Darker “and that is the song “If I didn’t have your love”. For me it is one of the most beautiful songs expressing love and that has everything in it without losing itself in to the worn out path of the usual clichés.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
panjandrum

Re: Leonard Cohen Lyrics That Would be Suitable for a Wedding Reading?

Post by panjandrum »

Well, probably too late for your needs, but listen to Love Itself. I think there are pieces of that which might work.

Return to “Comments & Questions”