Make Poverty History

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
linmag

Make Poverty History

Post by linmag » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm

At a gig I went to last night in Bristol, both the performers were wearing white wristbands. I thought it had something to do with backstage security, so was quite surprised when they explained that they were in support of the movement to Make Poverty History, and were on sale during the interval and after the show. I bought one, and today I visited the website.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

3,000 children die every day from poverty-related diseases in the developing world

This site is mainly aimed at the UK, but there is an international link. Please, visit this site, watch the videos, read the articles, do what you can.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
altinkum

Post by altinkum » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:35 pm

Hi Linda
I work just a couple of hours at our local Oxfam shop and we have been selling these bands for a while so if anyone wants one get down to your nearest shop. I remember reading some years ago a comment from a german polititian ( I can't remember which one ) that while 2 thirds of the world population are starving we will never have peace. That people are going without the most basic needs of survival in this day and age is an obcenity. It's time the situation changed as the site says if not our generation who? if not 2005 when?
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:04 pm

I'm always deeply touched to witness when somebody "cares if people live or die".

"... Looked through the paper. Makes you want to cry".

A kind of whole-humanity-trouble-of-the-alimentation - while some are dying from starving few others are sick and are dying from being too fat. But they blindly want to have more-more-more-and-who-cares.

This without saying that the "hungry people" are deprived of all the other basic material needs and other needs showed in pyramid of Maslow to develop their full potential.

For a person, trouble of the alimentation reflects deeper problems that have to be solved along with this one. 'Seems to me it is pretty the same for the body called humanity.

Mother Teresa was saying that we can not change de world, only, we can do each day littles actions.

"Do what you can" I LOOooOve that! :D
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:34 am

For those in the antipodes, looking for a local vendor, Oxfam/Community Aid Abroad shops are expecting these wristbands in April.

IC
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:28 am

My signature below, has been carrying the message for some months........
Thanks linda for raising the issue above the parapets.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Here is a "Make poverty history" update from actor, writer, comedian Stephen Fry.

Hello,

Rest easy on your little emailing fingers - I'm not writing to ask you to do something, I just want to take a wee minute to look at the extraordinary things you've already achieved.

Since Make Poverty History was launched just 111 days ago , an amazing amount has happened thanks to you...

More than 80,000 people have emailed Tony Blair and told him to take advantage of the golden opportunity that 2005 represents to beat poverty once and for all.

Another 21,000 emails have gone to the Chancellor and a quite extraordinary 23,000 have been fired off to MPs.

Last Friday over 25,000 people lit up Whitehall as they called for Trade Justice during what was a glorious and record breaking all-night vigil.

22,000 people gathered in Trafalgar Square to hear Nelson Mandela tell them that this year they have the chance to change the world.

Our film 'Click' made TV history by being shown at the same time on 15 TV stations
(see it on our site if you haven't already http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/video5.html. )

The number of people, like you, who have registered on http://www.makepovertyhistory.org has stormed past the 100,000 mark.

There are a million white bands being worn as we speak - with a million more being ordered.
Quite simply it's been an astonishing three months in which the scandal of extreme poverty has been exposed like never before - and that is a real tribute to what you've been doing. You're making a huge difference and I love each and every one of you.

Please, don't forget that in the coming 75 days before the all-important G8 summit in July, you really can make poverty history.

Well done, stay with it and thank you.

Stephen Fry

P.S. We are not alone - people all over the world are coming together to call for an end to world poverty - click here http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/video6.html to see the latest film from The One Campaign in the US & click here http://april2005.org/media/ to see what happened last week when a whopping 10 million people in 80 countries took action on trade justice.
Rob.
Partisan

Post by Partisan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:04 pm

What definition of poverty are we using this week?

p.
annaedith

Post by annaedith » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:58 pm

the I-majority
is the will to live, to live good - as a powerful, famous, rich person
the smallest, most radiant, less potent, I-minority
is the wish to be good and quiet and full of pity and care-taking
LUDWIG MARCUSE

everybody can do something, if only a little bit.
we have no natural right to live on the wealthier parts of this planet - instead it's an obligation to do something for the others

anna
*********** beauté est partout**********
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:00 am

I second that! :D

But I would like to live to see the day the dictators and/or corrupted governments of these "poor" countries would think likewise and begin to really care about their own people.

I could dream.

Do I?
jurica

Post by jurica » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:52 pm

no governments think about anything but their own well-being. be it poor or rich countries that they are exploiting.

that's how the system works. everybody knows that.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Definition of Poverty, as told to an audience at a musical gathering recently is, that 'nobody is free until we are all free.'
It seems like a glib statement at first hearing, but a couple of seconds of thought shows it to be quite profound.
HTH.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
mdidier

Post by mdidier » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:53 am

Tchocolatl wrote:I second that! :D

But I would like to live to see the day the dictators and/or corrupted governments of these "poor" countries would think likewise and begin to really care about their own people.

I could dream.

Do I?
Bravo, Tchoco.... the truth shall make you free. The first world wastes so much taxpayer money by pouring it into a black hole in the form of "foreign aid" to the third world ...

Example:

El Presidente Vicente Fox (Mexico) went on TV earlier this week to congratulate himself for reducing "abject poverty" by 61% .... ahead of the UN schedule by 5 years.... still leaving about 4 Million Mexicans in this state. It hits home when you understand that they define "abject/extreme poverty" as a total income of $1 per day. Vicente "stunned" the world by telling the UN official in his presence, that they would like to redefine "extreme" by moving the threshold to $2 per day.... so what is "standard" poverty?.... must be the $5/day that the open-borders advocates are talking about, saying that the 10-20 million poor and uneducated Mexicans are coming to the US for the min. wage $5 per hour paycheck....

Vicente did not explain "how" he achieved this phenomenal progress.... he can't very well admit publicly that it is the virtually-forced (economically-necessitated) mass exodus of poor and the returning $1.5 billion per month from expats in the US that's helping him out...

Wait, there's more: a couple of weeks ago I saw a report on Mexican TV proclaiming that Mexico still had 27 million "poor".... after the 10-20 million already in the US (illegally)... and another 10 million legal immigrants.

Wait, there's more: FORBES lists Mexico as having 11 billionaires (France and CH only have 9 each) and 85,000 millionaires.... one of those billionaires (heiress to the MODELO beer empire) is marrying the current US ambassador, Tony Garza (TX)..... Carlos Slim, the richest ($20+ billion) of all Mexicans, will make another half billion when he sells his shares of MCI to VERIZON shortly...

Poor Vicente on occasion exhorts his Mexican millionairs to invest in Mexico; but apparently it is too risky..... then, nationalism in the Mexican Congress "forbids" foreigners from investing in strategic industries like oil (Pemex, full of corrupt bureaucrats) when Pemex is known to require at least $1 billion of new capital investment to permit it to extract the oil that Mexico knows sits underground, but can't get to....

So if you do the math, close to 40% of Mexicans (still) live in poverty; instead of fixing their country, they figure it's easier and quicker to pick the pockets of the US middle class taxpayer...(unemployed and underemployed; jails overflowing and hospitals going bankrupt from non-paying "good-hearted immigrants"(per Bush) also known as illegal aliens...) than to start a new revolution...

So, you see tchoco, it's not only "dictators" maintaining their people in ignorance and poverty....The gentler souls in these forums don't like the sound of this tale, but it is the truth! The American business and political elite is actually aiding and abetting this situation by allowing certain industries to take advantage of these economic refugees...
Life is the final riddle, we all give up on it eventually...
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:06 am

didier, I wrote and edited this post so many times, but in the end I just can't respond to yours. This will have to do...

This world is not made up of closed-bordered islands, it is made up of human beings who live where they do mostly by sheer fluke of when and where they were born. They survive, thrive or die in a vast range of circumstances. I'm sure to a starving child in Iraq or wage slave somewhere making your nikes the thought of you shelling out to help them doesn't really cross their mind. They have bigger problems. They live in countries which have relationships...with other countries (trade policies even).

Generally those who give to and care about foreign aid are middle-class middle-income, are people who want to make the world a better fairer place for all. And Paul Newman.

You don't want to give your tax dollars towards foreign aid, and I don't want mine to go toward bombs and missiles. Tant pis pour nous. That's the result of living in a democracy or organised society. We pay tax, and others decide what to spend it on.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:05 pm

Tchocolatl wrote
There are examples of countries who have been impoverished by decades of corruption taking control of their own resources for the benefit of the people. Millions turned out to elect Hugo Chavez president of Venezuela in 1998 and began a popular social transformation.
The aims of Chavez's "revolution of the poor" were land reform, control over the country's oil, education and health care for all, and genuine democracy in the hands of ordinary people.

One million additional children have been brought into the educational system, 657 new schools were built and 36,000 additional teachers hired. The education budget has more than doubled in the last two years. Four universities have been created and three million people enrolled in literacy and education programmes.

2.2 million hectares (5.5 million acres) of land have been distributed to 116,000 families organised in cooperatives.

Health programmes have targeted 17 million Venezuelans. With over 13,000 Cuban doctors now in venezuela (paid for with oil) 1.2 million people who had been denied health care have been treated in health centres.

These advances have been made possible by bringing Venezuela's oil into public ownership and the distribution of its wealth to all citizens. These and other measures have brought overwhelming support for Chavez, who has won popular elections on no less than nine occasions in the last six years.

The people of Venezuela deserve our support and solidarity.
Rob
mdidier

Post by mdidier » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:13 pm

correction Mr Insanitor - re-read my sentence about "foreign aid".... I made no blanket statement against such aid.... only the aid that ends up in the pockets of corrupt foreign "leaders"...

Venezuela is going the way of all other "people's revolutions"... is there one such successful experiment anywhere in the world that lasted but a few years? Even communists in the end are capitalists.... as Red China is proving loudly and clearly...
Life is the final riddle, we all give up on it eventually...

Return to “Comments & Questions”