the GLOVE...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Helia

the GLOVE...

Post by Helia »

I am referring to that beautiful line..

touch me with your naked hand
touch me with your glove..

I mentioned earlier that Jungian Psychology is my "background" and one of the pillars in Jungian Therapy is working with dreams. I had a dram about a pair of beautiful leather gloves...and when I woke up that a/m line came to my mind.

I wonder what LC really meant when he wrote those words...I did a bit of research about GLOVES in general and found quite some symbolic meanings..as an example a white glove is often worn when some people carry a coffin, or in religion it plays a role to..as a sign of purity i.e.

Another interesting point (kind of old fashioned) that one takes off his gloves before one shakes a hand..a sign of honor...maybe LC meant (with the naked hand) the more physical aspect and with the glove a kind of a purer or more spiritual aspect of Sexuality, the EROS aspect ? is there somebody with some other ideas ? Thanks Angelika-Helia
Goldin

Re: the GLOVE...

Post by Goldin »

Helia

Post by Helia »

that is something !!!! Thank you, i just forgot about this...there is something special about those leather gloves (his) and my dream gloves...super, thanks for you input, A. :D
Helia

Post by Helia »

Goldin, when I look into the lyrics..there are no leather gloves, do we have variations of that song ??A-Helia
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

We surely do, Helia. Follow the second link in my message to find some info about the documentary, where this recitation has been used!

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeUwibkSc4
Helia

Post by Helia »

yes, I did..I replied at the wrong place..still all is new...

Return to “Comments & Questions”