New album, new concert?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Schwarz

New album, new concert?

Post by Schwarz »

There's a new album coming out soon, and I wonder what are the chances there'll be a new concert some time during 2016?
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: New album, new concert?

Post by jarkko »

There will be no concerts.
We know that Leonard has no plans to go back on the road;
he concentrates on his new songs and poetry.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

That sounds pretty final - not even the P word :(
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

HelenD wrote:That sounds pretty final - not even the P word :(
Well, he did mention poetry.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

As far as concerts go ,we are left with the H word.
Yes - really Hope for a PP/YWID tour , but of course don't expect .
Wouldn't it be good though 8)

Very important that he's still producing new material of very high quality , as only he can. So looking forward to the new album.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Although completely understandable on Leonard's part, it's more than a little disappointing that there is nothing on the horizon with regards live performances.

One would imagine that if there was any intention to perform live again, that on the back of this new record would be the time to do it given his age and increasing frailty.

I had held out some hope that there might be a tour of some kind in the not-too-distant future, even if on a much smaller scale than we enjoyed during 2008-2013, but it seems it is not to be.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

He's almost 82. At that age, I'll be grateful for being able to tour the bathroom.
Schwarz

Post by Schwarz »

If he, against all odds, holds another concert with his new tracks (not a tour, a single concert), is there any way one could get automatically notified?
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Jarkko always ensured we were informed on here first but please forget any thoughts of LC touring again. Tours take a very long time to sort out and Leonard would be 83/84 by the time all was prepared.

My advice is to go out and buy any live DVD's you can get your hands on.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

In addition to what the others have said, there is also all of the other personnel involved -- it isn't just a matter of Leonard Cohen walking out on stage and singing a few songs. In his past recent tours, there were probably a few dozen people involved, and to just throw all of that together for one concert would not be feasible in the least, not just monetarily, but all those people have lives, jobs, etc., and they can't just drop it all to rehearse, prepare, etc., for one concert, it is simply not realistic.

As Vicomte says, though, if Leonard is going to make personal appearances of any sort, and/or if he has any new albums or poems/books coming out, chances are you'll hear about it here first.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Indeed , a concert tour is extremely unlikely.

Re past concerts , i recently found some footage i shot at the 75th birthday concert in Barcelona , 2009. I've posted on you tube .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uwvMjY8PI
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Robocop

Post by Robocop »

A new album that would be good, but I don't think we will see another big tour as he has done in the past. In fact his last was somewhat disappointing with Dino Solo and Bob Metzger missing from the line up. The replacements didn't do it for me. The last tour was a strain somewhat for him, just too many concerts. Its exceedingly draining going venue to venue let alone country to country.

I personally would like to see him in a much smaller, more intimate venue and I would pay more, but without the hype and hoopla and scores of people. He is after all this person.

Robert
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I really think his admirers should now allow Leonard to retire from public life. He doesn't have any obligation to entertain us. We are incredibly lucky to have this huge back catalogue to sustain us all for decades. That should be enough for us.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

cohenadmirer wrote:Indeed , a concert tour is extremely unlikely.

Re past concerts , i recently found some footage i shot at the 75th birthday concert in Barcelona , 2009. I've posted on you tube .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uwvMjY8PI
It was a nice lunch that day and if I remember right we watched a video of the IOW festival after lunch, I put my hands up long ago that we went to the IOW mainly to see the Who. We stayed in Sitges for both the Barca gigs and for the first concert we realised that the last bus/train back would have been long gone by the end of the concert, So we stayed in a hotel by the port on this occasion, by the next concert in Barcelona we learned of a night bus which left Place Espanya at around 2.45am and arrived in Sitges around 30 minutes later, the bus was filled with people that had attended the Cohen gig, by the time the bus arrived in Sitges, half the bus was asleep including Vicomtesse. Oh yes of course the lit (green) candles at the concert were given to us at the lunch !
Nice memories, David but is that your rather out of tune singing that accompanies Leonard?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Comments & Questions”