'Who cares for Cohen?' article

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Andrew (Darby)

'Who cares for Cohen?' article

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

The below link is to an interesting, but somewhat rambling and lengthy, article. It is seemingly authored by an Aussie Greek and at the bottom of the article certainly acknowledges a group which appears to include suchlike.

Though some of it is not so relevant (e.g. the Greek immigrants’ experience in Australia), it certainly covers various interesting aspects of the Hydra experience, viewed through both “visitors” eyes and “locals” eyes. It makes mention of: the artistic colony phenomenon; passing parade of celebrity identities; Leonard’s significance; literary connections, particularly from an Australian perspective & relating to Hydra’s “Australia House” (the Johnston/Clift residence); aspects of the island’s tourism and cultural festivities; Hydra identities; Richard Branson’s stymied development plans etc. 8)

https://griffithreview.com/articles/who ... for-cohen/

It's somewhat ironic to have the title question take its place here on the Forum, but I've heard it said in the past by a regular visitor to the island that Leonard's place and reputation here doesn't necessarily engender amongst locals the same glowing acclaim or fascination that we Cohenites may endow it with... perhaps even that they think we fans are all a bit touched by the same sun-stroke Leonard has jokingly referred to having there! ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
MaryB

Re: 'Who cares for Cohen?' article

Post by MaryB »

Though 'somewhat rambling and lengthy', this essay gave me insight into the behavior do's and don'ts of that time on the island. Thank you for the link Andrew.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

Does anybody know where "Australia House" is located on Hydra?

Jon G
Last edited by jongrep on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

jongrep wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 pm Does anybody know where "Australia House" is located on Hydra?

Jon G
Have now received the following directions: "From the port walk through to Douskos taverna and take the lane out of the top corner passing Christina and Manolis taverna on the left. Take second left lane after christina's and you will walk into the square which is called the salty well."

A recent photo of the house:
https://i1.wp.com/twopluscute.com/wp-co ... .jpg?w=750
Last edited by jongrep on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Lawrence

Post by Anthony Lawrence »

At Leonard's concert in Sydney on his first Australian tour, he came and said he wanted to 'dedicate his first Australian tour to the memory of George Johnston and Charmian Clift... who taught me how to write...'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Janne

Post by Janne »

Thanks a lot for this link!

I mean, one question of the article "How aware of Greece were these writers?" you have to ask. How aware of Grece were all of them, also Leonard Cohen?

How is it possible to live as a poet and writer in Greece during 1950/60 and not to mention Mikis Theodorakis, who not only came from the aegaen island Chios but who fought for Greece, saw, experienced, got imprisioned and tortured for his fights for liberation and unity and who composed and wrote rich, deep and healing music and lyrics full of awareness of Greek!

I mean in the middle of at that time happening Greek tragedys concerning all deep questions of
poetry the artists of Hydra seemed to circle round themselves.

Theodorakis was much more than dancing -Alexis Zorbas-Music.

Were these artists more than tourists on Hydra although living there for years like Cohen described himself in Cuba?

I think Cohen knew the answer: Parasites of Heaven!

Return to “Comments & Questions”