Multiple identities

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Re: Multiple identities

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Now, Wendy... you would deny me that fun little written foray that I had for a brief time ;-) ... during that time, we were also discussing Leonard's work in the poetry section. And we were having genuine fun in many other ways. I just happened to throw that in because everything whoever wrote was written so well... with restraint and class. Or were you referring to the snarkiness and warring? If so, I totally get it! I chose not to join the newsgroup for that reason. Too confusing and combative. Even moreso than here, for the most part, I'd say, but those there seemed to love it. Did you ever go there? Did you ever join the Chat Room? That was fun, even though there was some "live" and "real time" conflict there, but it was mostly a lot of fun both day and night. Jarkko would come in on Sunday afternoons and we always looked forward to that. However, now that Leonard has toured again, what actually is being discussed here? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of concert reports and photos; but his literature and poems have fallen pretty much by the wayside, as far as I can tell. There's some stuff going on there, though... just not the in-depth that I remember with Book of Mercy, etc.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Sorry Lizzy. I should have made it clear that I was commenting on the snarkiness and warring. I wouldn't have wanted to deny you the fun of your affectionate and loving (?) exchanges for a minute.

I looked in occasionally back then and I did join a chat room once but it wasn't really my thing. I wasn't sorry to miss the more "unpleasant" side of proceedings and I am not altogether happy that one particular friend seems to be trying to return to them without visible rebuke. I do regret that I kept my distance until 2008 as I could have enjoyed some of my wonderful LC friendships from a much earlier date.

You're right though: it is a great shame that some of the more in depth discussions have gone by the wayside. It's easy to find concert reports and photos etc via Google; intense, obscure intellectual debates are much harder to find in this instant world. It will be interesting to see if that side of the forum comes back in time when it is clear that Leonard has, finally, hung up his fedora.

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for confirming that clarification, Wendy :) . It didn't seem like you.

Yeah, there were those times with shares of bad and many shares of good. I wish you'd come around earlier, too.

I hope it returns to that in-depth discussion here, too. Doron was GREAT in leading the charge on that. He was seriously committed, and even though their perspectives varied quite a bit, Mat was very active there, too, and contributed a lot... along with others. I guess all things have their seasons, though, huh.

Wish you were going to be on Hydra. It's a shame your other plans were already solidly in place before a date was confirmed. You'll be at the Walking Weekend in Catalonia, though, right?
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes, I am really sorry to be missing Hydra. But I had a voucher for 2-for-1 air miles flights to use up before the end of June and I had to go with the dates that British Airways had available even though it cut across the Hydra weekend. But you're right, we will be in Viladrau for the walking weekend.

W
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Oh, good... and I'm glad I finally opted for saying Catalonia, as I was going to put an extra u in there after the first a.
Yeah... not much to do in that case with such a great deal on air miles. I hear a lot of those are being phased out or so severely altered that they might as well be. So, see you in Viladrau.

~ L
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:51 pm

:D :D :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 09, 2015 11:26 pm

:D :D :D
~ Oscar Wilde
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Sun May 10, 2015 11:16 am

Tchocolatl wrote:
As for this individual which name can not be written
The problem is that he/she has so many names it's hard to know which one to use!

And don't worry, I'm sure nothing unhygienic happened.
The original wording (not mine) was "sharing the treat". How sweet! :roll:
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Sun May 10, 2015 11:27 am

Vicomte wrote: Athnuachan, you could be facing a losing battle here.
You could be right, Vicomte, "creative writing" has spilled over into this thread too!
I disagree with your second point, though - "they" know exactly what they're doing here, trying to divert attention from the topic in question.
Still, isn't it grand to see people having fun and games together? Sure it keeps them out of mischief.

You know what, Vicomte, those of us who like lucid English and genuine debate will soon find little worth reading on the forum. :cry: No wonder so many have "voted with their fingers" and abandoned it.
Life is too short for wading through waffle.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sun May 10, 2015 2:12 pm

GOT IT...thanks Athnuachan..

Wading through waffle

If I ever write a book about my life, the title is there waiting. I will of course tell the readers in my foreword that the title is indebted to you and in part to some of the people on a Leonard Cohen forum who liked to write in riddles and then others pretend to understand them and therefore wrote further posts even more riddled in riddles until in the end confusion reigned and the whole forum went tits up in total confusion.

As ever, the usual suspects arrived on your thread Athnuachan and to be honest, I doubt they even knew who you were on about anyway.....Ah well, I am off to the beach now and wish you "bona tarda de catalunya" :D
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Sun May 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Enjoy the beach Vicomte
A beach , blue sky , blue sea , sunshine , a drink , and Cant forget through headphones would be a blissful way to to spend the afternoon
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun May 10, 2015 3:34 pm

To Vicomte and Athnuachan ~

I know for sure of only one person here who uses multiple identities.

Based on your having made other comments in the past about her, I'm taking your comments in this most recent post to be in reference to Tchocolatl who. like me, has never bothered to take on another identity here. She [as I am] is willing to take whatever comes her way based on her own identity.

A salient point regarding your undermining comments about her writing is that English is not her native language. I have been reading Tchocolatl's postings a very long time and when I've not 'gotten it,' what she meant, I don't pretend to have gotten it. When I believe that I have 'gotten it, I respond accordingly and am not pretending anything when I do so.

I've been reading Tchoc's posts for MANY years and, where she has gotten better in expressing herself, I have also gotten better in understanding what she means and is saying. In reality and truth, I have found through reading her contributions through the years that they ARE contributions! She's intelligent, she thinks on more than one level about things, she researches things and brings what she finds to the table here, so you can learn from her postings, as well. I've often found her thinking and expression of her thoughts to be more complex and deeper than many. Whereas, it can be easier for some to just dispense with what she's written as being [any derogatory, insulting] and dismiss it out of hand, you would do far better to take her seriously and ask sincere follow-up questions to clarify when needed. It's worked for me over the years and, as time has gone on, she has become easier for me to understand... and, In any case, she and what she says are worth the effort.

~ Elizabeth
~ Oscar Wilde
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Sun May 10, 2015 4:29 pm

To Vicomte and Cohenadmirer :

Yes, sounds idyllic!
I might not have a beach nearby but I'm off now to enjoy Leonard's latest which I just bought in my local record shop.

Apparently one thread is not enough for the multiple-identity-person's fan club, (who said there were more than one?)
but we with our ears full of sea sounds and Cohen sounds won't hear them any more. :D

(p.s. You're welcome to your book title, Vicomte, please start writing it on the beach - I look forward to reading it! )
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Sun May 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Lizzy

I was never sure of Tchocolat's gender- some forum names are genderless.I like the name
She certainly posts a lot ,and i wish her the very best but personally would find the need to almost continuously ask for clarification around meaning a bit too exhausting .
Anyway - of course happy for her to keep on posting ...doesn't ever fall into the category of 'gratuitously offensive postings' that i have complained about, though almost certainly wins the prize for ' most puzzling contributions' on this forum .
We can choose whether or nor to read .... and re read ..... and re re read ........ :neutral:
As for the language , would be interested if a post in her own language , processed then by 'Google translate' :shock: was easier to undersatnd :?:
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun May 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Are you KIDDING me!?! Google scrambles translations into being almost unrecognizable!
It's not a matter of continuously asking for clarification, cohenadmirer. In addition, some things are understandable straight out. Anything can take time, and some things are worth that time. This is one of them. After awhile, it comes through what she means. Read, reread, and reread is also an overstatement. She can't be bothered with multiple identities, either... the same as with me.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”