message from a visitor

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Geoffrey

message from a visitor

Post by Geoffrey »

hello. it's quite a while since i walked the floorboards of this website. at that time it was a bustling hive of activity, and i left confident in the knowledge that this forum could at last stand on its own two feet - that it didn't need my stimulus any longer. so, it comes somewhat as a shock to discover that this thriving city has been reduced to a sleepy village. my word, i am so disappointed in everybody - i cannot believe the lethargy to which i am an unfortunate witness. where is the pulse, the enthusiasm, the dynamic and inspiring interaction that is the lifeblood of any successful meeting place? the main reason for my departure was because of heavy censorship, which is actually quite common in these controlled forums where power destroys initiative. i was always conscious that one of the moderates(?) would delete a message should they disagree with what was written. these 'guardians of beauty' apparently wanted a peaceful non-provocative arena, but sadly my nature is such that i am unable to breathe with a boss looking over my shoulder. well, nevermind - it's a shame, but i am sure everything will somehow sort itself out. it is just that i have been coming in regularly for two or three days and noticed how much quieter it is now compared to earlier. i don't know what the solution might be, but a reduction in the number of moderates (or whatever it is these intolerant overseers are called) and a greater forbearance in dealing with people who do not always curtsey and bow, might be a step in the right direction. -geoffrey
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: message from a visitor

Post by jarkko »

From the moderator log I can see that only 3 (three) messages have been deleted in the past two years plus one membership discontinued.
Those were slanders between members, something of private nature, and had very little or nothing to do with Cohen's work.
However, it is true that the activity is on much lower level than some years ago when Leonard was touring. Social media (Facebook, blogs etc.) explains part of the change, and of course after the end of the tours there are not so many happenings to follow and comment.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Geoffrey, I am so happy you are back. I have often wondered where you were :D I agree, the Forum has been a sleepy place for a while. Maybe you can change that, yes?
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cheshire gal wrote:Geoffrey, I am so happy you are back. I have often wondered where you were :D I agree, the Forum has been a sleepy place for a while. Maybe you can change that, yes?
hello my dear, good to 'see' you again. i am not sure the spice-rack contains enough chilli powder to liven up the tasteless vegetables put before me, but with a little bit of goodwill from the others at this table i am sure we will all have a good time :-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote:From the moderator log I can see that only 3 (three) messages have been deleted in the past two years plus one membership discontinued.
Those were slanders between members, something of private nature, and had very little or nothing to do with Cohen's work.
However, it is true that the activity is on much lower level than some years ago when Leonard was touring. Social media (Facebook, blogs etc.) explains part of the change, and of course after the end of the tours there are not so many happenings to follow and comment.
thank you for the prompt response, jarkko - much appreciated. at the suggestion of a friend i recently joined a bob dylan forum and commented on a post concerning joni mitchell's attitude towards him. i wrote honestly and from the heart, but my words were deleted within ten minutes. naturally, in order to retain self-esteem and integrity i had no choice but to cancel membership. for what is an individual's personality worth should one have to beg permission to be one's self?

therefore it was not without a measure of trepidation that i ventured once more into leonard's forum here. for remembering deleted posts, indeed the sudden disappearance of entire threads in which i had eagerly participated, even after all this time still sits embedded like a rusty hatchet in the wall of my memory. maybe i lack social intelligence, maybe i am a provocateur, maybe i am over sensitive, maybe i am a troll - a wild card representing everything that is undesirable in a community where a uniform is the preferred attire - i don't know. to suffer rejection, whether deserved or not, whether it be in real life or on the internet, can be a painful experience. we interact with one another, become involved in both positive and negative dialogue - and as long as we communicate there is life - and there is hope.

only three messages have been deleted, you write. an excellent record that offers much encouragement, and yet i would have loved above all else to have read exactly those three messages! well anyway, this abundance of cordiality seems to suggest that perhaps it is now becoming unnecessary to have so many moderates governing over such a servile community. perhaps it is possible to cut down on the 'superior/inferior' palace wall that separates royalty from commoners here. why does everything need to be watched with eagle eyes every second of a 24-hour day? let's take a risk, let's sack half of these cardinals and give some responsibility back to the congregation. why not throw out the guard dogs, open the windows and do some spring cleaning. :-) -geoffrey

Return to “Comments & Questions”