Is Leonard happy?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
seed-sown

Is Leonard happy?

Post by seed-sown »

That's all I would like to know.

-Lauren
Cheshire gal

Re: Is Leonard happy?

Post by Cheshire gal »

I hope Leonard is happy. But most of all I hope he is content.
Welcome to the Forum Lauren :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CarolinaCooks

Post by CarolinaCooks »

My sense is, he's happier and more at peace than he's ever been. As a fellow, life long depressive, I was inspired to read him remarking, that his depression had slipped out of him at some point in his early 60's. As I'm heading for 60, I can ever hope...
Matilda3

Post by Matilda3 »

From various songs, particularly in "Old Ideas" and "Popular Problems," I would be inclined to believe Leonard is happy. He can be dark and very deep... but his sense of humor comes through when you least expect it. He seems to understand others like no one else can. Both positive and negative. Since there are multi-millions of people who absolutely adore Leonard, it's safe to say he doesn't read all of these posts. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a side to him that encompasses peace and pleasure, and yes, happiness too. My hubby died a little over a year ago. He absolutely hated Leonard's music. He said I only listened to Leonard if I was depressed and that his music was to cut your wrists to. Fact be known, Leonard saved me. Eight years of caring for a terminal person and then the (crazy as it may sound) shock and unexpected death of my spouse. Leonard sung to me nonstop. He sung to my pain, my joy, my loving memories, even my anger. And then he sung me out of isolation and from the dead back to the living. As I said, he saved me. He's saved so many, but he's too humble to acknowledge it. He knows he's loved though. I believe Leonard is at peace and that he's happy.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

"It's written on the walls of this hotel
You go to heaven once you've been to hell."

Isn't it strange the way the Kelley Lynch affair worked out? That was a hellish experience for him, yet it was the catalyst that led him to tour again and to discover (to his surprise) just how loved and appreciated he truly is.

If Kelley Lych hadn't betrayed his trust in her, Leonard would probably have just done the normal thing at seventy and quietly retired with a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders. Instead he turned a disaster into a triumph.

If he isn't happy he should be bloody ashamed of himself.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

"Should Leonard be happy?" is a completely different question from "Is Leonard happy?" The first is easy to answer- everyone should be. The second, not so easy.

However, I hope he is because I hope his grandchildren make him so, because I've noticed young grandchildren make a lot of men of his age happy. I also hope he sneakily looks round himself every now and again, is surprised how well everything worked out, and thinks he'd better not tell anyone or he'll ruin his reputation.

Return to “Comments & Questions”