G-d

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Vicomte

Re: G-d

Post by Vicomte »

lea schnabel00 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:Disappoint me, why do you think that? The full name doesn't point to being Jewish. In the the UK, George Cohen back in 1966 won the Soccer World Cup with England and later his Son Ben won the Rugby World cup in 2003, also for England. They were not Jewish either. So "probably" isn't really a player as far as being Jewish because your name is Cohen, sorry to disappoint.
cohen is a jewish name. if the father is a jew and the mother is not.there the name of the son stay cohen ,but he is not a jew.
Yes it is a Jewish name but not all Cohens are Jewish and that was my point.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
seadove

Post by seadove »

Why do you think this is a jewish issue?

The ten commandments are followed by the 3 semitic religions in equal sincerity.
Cate

Post by Cate »

I was wondering about that seadove, I hadn't thought it was just a Jewish thing.
Vicomte wrote:
Cate wrote:
Vicomte wrote:OK, so you speak to yourself.

Has anyone else got an answer as to why non Jewish on here should reply with G-d and not God?
Respect for other peoples comfort and beliefs.
And what about respect for those that are not au fait with the Jewish "faith" do they not have a say? Must we all bow to their beliefs when we do not believe? I am not being disrespectful I am saying that because some from their Jewish beliefs (and this I am informed has been brought in only since the internet came in to being) wish to spell it with a hyphen but surely it is all rather bonkers for non Jewish believers to write it in this manner on this forum. It is not disrespectful to not put a hyphen in, in fact I think it is rather patronising.
And what about respect for those that are not au fait with the Jewish "faith" do they not have a say?
have a say in what? in how other people choose to write the word god? or in how they write it themselves? (there's a big difference there)

You asked why a non Jewish person would reply to someone using a hyphen in the word god. My answer/guess was respect for the person they are speaking to, (that doesn't suggest that it's disrespectful for somebody not to do it). It's natural to mirror in conversation - 'me' and 'you', become a 'we'.
To me, god, is a concept/an idea. I think/type 'god', but if I were in a typed conversation with somebody who wrote 'God' like you did above, G, I might think that God is a proper noun to you, and might respond to you by typing 'God' as opposed to 'god'. I'm not likely to use a hyphen in the word god, but I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm a little lost as to why somebody would care about something like this, but I guess different things bother different people - I don't like loud popcorn chewers behind me in movie theaters.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

The ten commandments, seadove? Where does G-d come into it. I read that it was brought in since the internet?

The reason I asked, Cate, was in wonderment as to why God was being spelt G-d on being informed that it was a Jewish thing. So then I further queried why non Jews on here were spelling it in such a way. As I said, I truly found that rather patronising, how far is one expected to go to appease all sectors on here. Sure I can respect why the religious Jews on here wish to spell it in such a way but I cannot see why anyone else would feel the need to do the same thing, I don't for the life of me see how disrespect (not accusing you, Cate) from any non Jews for not spelling as such even comes in to it but there you go.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Um, is this still the Leonard Cohen forum? And if so, is anyone going to mention that Leonard often writes G-d?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Also: Jesus Christ allfucking mighty! Don't go offending people's religious sensitivities, it's so rude!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Well said Brightnow. I agree wholeheartedly.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

brightnow wrote:Um, is this still the Leonard Cohen forum? And if so, is anyone going to mention that Leonard often writes G-d?
Yes he may well do but it seems rather ridiculous because all that means is that everyone on here should do exactly what LC himself does? As was mentioned by Athnuachan on the News thread and that "this in a forum dedicated to such an open-minded individual as Leonard Cohen" yet should I, or anyone else pose a question, it is as if we are being some kind of Judas to Leonard Cohen. FGS so what if he writes G-d or even if he is left handed and we must therefore all write in with our left hand !!
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

brightnow wrote:Also: Jesus Christ allfucking mighty! Don't go offending people's religious sensitivities, it's so rude!
:lol:

I do love a bit of irony, so British don't you know.....
Neil from The Young Ones
harald

Post by harald »

how about everbody just writes the word in question just as he out of whichever motives pleases,
argument solved
(... the liberal again)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

That is not an answer is it Harald.

I asked why non Jewish members would feel the need to be so patronising as to write it in such a way?
Neil from The Young Ones
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Are you presuming, Vicomte, people religions by their locations or their names?

With the conclusions you and Vicomte have drawn regarding the nature of the Forum and willingness to disagree or do things differently, it only shows that you haven't paid close attention. Not everyone here uses the hyphen when they write "God" and some don't capitalize "God," either.

I explained my own usage, initially, and it's not a hyphen, rather whatever the squiggle is called... it's the "approximately" designator here... and that fits my thinking, too... as well as my intent regarding G~d when I use it, i.e. the unknown and unknowable, the distance of eternity, a lot of things. Language and symbols are like that, free to adaptation and different usages, and I've no reason to feel guilty or patronizing when I do it. Nor do I. I'm not Jewish and I don't use their designator; however, I was glad to adapt their choice of how to write it. And, my belief would be that prior to the Internet, the hyphen would have been handwritten.

The way it's stated, your question is a loaded one, anyway... and intentionally rhetorical in its content. What kinds of answers [which it seems you've already gotten from others as to why the Jews use the hyphen] did you want other than "to be patronizing, of course." Harald's entry here is long past the question-answer phase of your slanted question, and well done with his suggestion.

This thread does remind me of the 'old days' before Leonard initiated his 2008 tour... and we had 'nothing better' to do than 'argue' :lol: [amongst all the other well-purposed sharing and learning].
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

seeing as all the god bothers are calling out for some respect howsabout some for me and my fellow evangelical satanists... maybe in future postings on the forum the word 'd-vil' could be written in the way that our lord and master has decreed ...thanks in advance and may the lord lucifer smile upon you and your loved ones....

and in the meantime here is an aide-mémoire to help everybody from upsetting the god bothers........ta ken

god4.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is an answer Ken, made my day it has, well beating Liverpool 2-0 recently was right up there but your post is right up there and almost alongside.... ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

lizzytysh wrote:Are you presuming, Vicomte, people religions by their locations or their names?
What, where do I point that out then?
With the conclusions you and Vicomte have drawn regarding the nature of the Forum and willingness to disagree or do things differently, it only shows that you haven't paid close attention. Not everyone here uses the hyphen when they write "God" and some don't capitalize "God," either.
Where do I say everyone used the hyphen? And who is "You and Vicomte"
I explained my own usage, initially, and it's not a hyphen, rather whatever the squiggle is called... it's the "approximately" designator here... and that fits my thinking, too... as well as my intent regarding G~d when I use it, i.e. the unknown and unknowable, the distance of eternity, a lot of things. Language and symbols are like that, free to adaptation and different usages, and I've no reason to feel guilty or patronizing when I do it. Nor do I. I'm not Jewish and I don't use their designator; however, I was glad to adapt their choice of how to write it. And, my belief would be that prior to the Internet, the hyphen would have been handwritten.
But why? You are not Jewish and this forum is not solely for any Jews that might wish to be on the forum. If I were to say I was a catholic and you must offer up some catholic ways on the forum otherwise it will upset my way of thinking, would you and indeed anyone else follow that route? Well if so, you shouldn't this forum is not about religion, it is about a man who has tried many religions but above all and foremost, he is a writer, a poet and a singer. He is not to be held up as some religious icon and nor would he want to be.
The way it's stated, your question is a loaded one, anyway... and intentionally rhetorical in its content. What kinds of answers [which it seems you've already gotten from others as to why the Jews use the hyphen] did you want other than "to be patronizing, of course." Harald's entry here is long past the question-answer phase of your slanted question, and well done with his suggestion.
Why is it loaded? I asked why people on here and not of the Jewish faith would write God with a hyphen and you call that slanted, can't see why the question is slanted.

Anyway, lizzy I have had your answer (s), if I get no more then the prize for most sensible answer goes to liverpoolken.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Comments & Questions”