A Question for Sharon Robinson

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
NoridSherab

Re: A Question for Sharon Robinson

Post by NoridSherab » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:42 am

NoridSherab wrote:
Rodin wrote:This has kept me awake for months.
How sad that someting so trival keeps you awake.
I suggest some powerful sedatives.
As a reply to my post, I received a nice PM from Rodin suggesting that my parents should use condoms.
For your information Mr. Rodin, my parents both died almost two years ago so there is no need anymore for condoms.
Norid Sherab
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:40 am

You suggested that I should take drugs, I made a suggestion.
If you give shit you should be prepared to take it.
Misunderstood
NoridSherab

Post by NoridSherab » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 am

Rodin wrote:You suggested that I should take drugs, I made a suggestion.
If you give shit you should be prepared to take it.
According to my understanding of the English language sedatives also mean sleaping pills. You were complaining about getting no sleep.
If you would have posted that same message then it is called humour. If someone else posts it is an insult?
Norid Sherab
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 am

It's banter.
Give and take.
Some people understand, some do not.
Misunderstood
NoridSherab

Post by NoridSherab » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 am

Rodin,
First it is "you give shit you take shit"
Then 10 minutes later it is banter.
Some people may understand, most will not.
Norid Sherab
Rodin

Post by Rodin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 am

I'll try to make it easy for you and others who don't understand.
The Forum is like a bar or a pub.
People give advice, try to help and also indulge in banter, even piss taking.
None of it is serious, it's just an online pub.
Misunderstood
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Rodin wrote:I'll try to make it easy for you and others who don't understand.
The Forum is like a bar or a pub.
People give advice, try to help and also indulge in banter, even piss taking.
None of it is serious, it's just an online pub.
That's a very good analogy Rodin.

The thing is: you wouldn't go up to a complete stranger in a bar or pub, or someone you only know by sight, and start bantering with them or taking the p**s in the same way as you would with your mates. They might misunderstand you. At best you might upset them. At worst you could start another classic British pub brawl.

I rest my case.

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:41 pm

In tandem with what Wendy has just said, if you're there and continue to do what the management and ownership has asked and suggested that you stop doing because it's upsetting the other patrons, and you've already been banned once, then you will end up being banned permanently because you have demonstrated a clear unwillingness to change.

In addition to what Wendy has said, your analogy doesn't work for me. There are likely plenty of forums out there [since you've based your analogy on your view of forums being exactly that] that are akin to bars and pubs, where under the influence of alcohol much DOES take place, indeed, as both you and Wendy have described. [Perhaps, you come here and drink as you do, so your judgement is compromised.] However, one of the outstanding qualities of this Forum which is profusely commented on by newcomers, who have been to/spent time on forums that meet your description, is that we maintain a sense of intelligence and respectfulness here. This is not to say that it hasn't become, otherwise, at times, but it resolved without the need for banning. Unfortunately, I have been part of such a time, and wish to not return to it and won't [hence, my own deletion of my own, one-off comment in this situation]. It's also not to say that we don't sometimes digress from 'intelligence,' but generally not in the offensive/insulting ways that you seem to prefer.

After seeing that my own, recent comment was causing consternation and that the consternation even seemed to be growing, I sought counsel with one of the moderators, one who 'knows my heart' from numerous in-person meetings and other forms of communication, and offered to remove my comment, if they deemed it best. They recommended that I do, in the interest of "maintaining peace on the Forum." So, I did. Why did I seek their counsel first? Because I can get pretty determined to maintain my 'right' to be 'who I am,' too, Rodin. But the bigger perspective is what matters most here.

You don't appear to require Leonard-related conversation to 'piss' on, but I know from so much that others have said in elevating this Forum with their expressed appreciation, that there are plenty of places out there that you could go and do exactly as you are here, with not nearly the number of complaints to the moderators, because it's the understood climate of that forum.

Because intelligence is one of the hallmarks of this Forum, there are a number of 'explanations' that you've provided about your actions that really haven't been necessary, including this most recent one. We are able to see and understand what your perspective is without needing you to explain. MANY people here have terrific senses of humour. I've experienced a lot of it in person. They don't require what's often termed as toilet/bathroom humour or insulting others or their ideas to demonstrate it, though.

Because intelligence is one of the hallmarks of this Forum, the things that you do here that bring complaint, is particularly irritating.

Because intelligence is one of the hallmarks of this Forum, we also stand apart from the drunken bar/pub scene that you describe as being typical of forums.

I'm fortunately not aware of the "classic British pub brawl" that Wendy has cited, but I can imagine it from scenes of bar brawls I've seen in movies.

This Forum is not like a bar or a pub... and we don't wish to become like one.

We are far more than just an online pub... and many who come here appreciate that very fact... and want to maintain it exactly that way.

On the positive side, I have enjoyed most the jokes I've read that you've posted in the Jokes Needed thread.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Lizzy

I took Rodin's reference to an online bar or pub as an analogy for a place where friends meet to enjoy the craic. No more, no less. I don't want to be elitist about the forum and I think your references to intelligence as the hallmark of this forum could be off-putting to new members.

Anyway, my post has been overtaken by events so we don't have to be concerned any more.

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Okay, yes, I see what you mean, Wendy. Sorry for adding to it in ways that weren't included in your intention.
I do feel that intelligence is a hallmark of this Forum, too... and, frankly, it seems to me that people who come and participate here meet that.
There's IQ intelligence and there's emotional intelligence. We're not dry and boring here [from my perspective], we don't all speak English 'well', but, overall, there's an innate kind of intelligence of members.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that you were being elitist about the Forum, or to be elitest myself; however, intelligence is one of the hallmarks here.

I'm wasn't aware [and still not] of the events that have taken place.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Lizzy

I took Rodin's reference to an online bar or pub as an analogy for a place where friends meet to enjoy the craic. No more, no less. I don't want to be elitist about the forum and I think your references to intelligence as the hallmark of this forum could be off-putting to new members.

Anyway, my post has been overtaken by events so we don't have to be concerned any more.

Wendy
Well said Wendy. I really do hope this draws a line under this whole issue, and we all move on.

Regards

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Okay, I've just read in the Everything Else section, Wendy, so understand for sure now what you meant.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”