Can Leonard Cohen Save the Senate?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
HelenOE

Can Leonard Cohen Save the Senate?

Post by HelenOE » Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 am

Well, the question has ben asked.

Something tells me this would not be Mr. Cohen's idea of a good time. On the other hand, he might get another couple of verses of The Future out of it.
LisaLCFan

Re: Can Leonard Cohen Save the Senate?

Post by LisaLCFan » Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Leonard is more likely to be asked to join the Senate under the current system, than to become part of a (totally hypothetical and unlikely ever to happen) committee to appoint Senators (because, the latter would require a constitutional amendment, for one thing). There is a precedent for the former possibility: the band-leader and musician Tommy Banks was appointed as a Senator from Alberta.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Interesting. I don't understand the Canadian system, but I can't imagine Leonard being happy as a Senator Cohen. Not the best use of his precious time by any imagining.
Cate

Post by Cate » Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Very little time is involved. I think they meet a few afternoons a week and often weekend from Thursday evening until Tuesday afternoon.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Fri May 24, 2013 10:51 pm

HelenOE wrote:Interesting. I don't understand the Canadian system, but I can't imagine Leonard being happy as a Senator Cohen. Not the best use of his precious time by any imagining.
Historically, the Senate was supposed to provide checks and balances, the "sober second thought" sort of idea to whatever is decided upon in the House of Commons. But, because Senators are appointed by the Prime Minister, it is considered by many to be a bit of a joke, nothing but cushy, well-paid patronage appointments with very little time or effort involved (although, to be fair, some Senators may take their responsibilities seriously...).

I was joking about Leonard being likely to be appointed to the Senate, because as far as I know, he's not pals with the current PM nor with any current (or future?) active Canadian politicians, and that is usually the main criterion! So, I wouldn't worry about it.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes » Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 pm

He should take Groucho Marx's advice and never join a club which would have him as a member.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 pm

One of Leonard's poet/hero's, W. B. Yeats, was an Irish Senator so there is a literary precedent.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “Comments & Questions”